Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A few Swiss pieces

I just got these in the post today, I think I'll have to start seriously collecting thses as I really like the figure of Helvetia.

1885 Bern 5 Francs, with a glorius image of Helvetia:

This was not a coin, but a medal from the 1901 Luzern Schutzenfest, larger than a silver dollar and with a really nice portrait on the front:

And finally, the 1936 5 Francs issued for the rearmament fund:

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that bird made her excited....nice coins.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that bird made her excited....nice coins. >>

At least her left half isimage

Yes they are very nice, I am glad that I do not collect the Shooting Thalers, it would be a whole other darkside I don't need.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will not collect beautiful Swiss coins

lalalala- I can't hear you... image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great pieces. Those shooting talers can be a slippery slope once you get involved....
  • Options
    Exactly.

That's why I had to recite that little chant, above. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    No wonder the Swiss are always neutral - with women like that around who's got the time or the energy for fighting wars? image

Beautiful pieces!
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I will not collect beautiful Swiss coins
    I will not collect beautiful Swiss coins"

I started down the Shooting Taler road and had to sell the one nice one I'd gotten...too nice but I had to choose between those and a couple other interests. Dang mortgage. Dang kids. imageimageimage (Okay plus a few numismatic interests...)

Cathy

(PS I try that mantra with conders too...I've only got half a dozen so I'm doing okay. I just NEED the one with the greyhound)

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Lord knows I don't need another set to collect, I still have to find (and then pay for) a James II shilling. But I do a lot of competitive shooting, and collect firearms also, so thought just one or two couldn't hurt.

These are a few of my Martini Henry single shots, these date from 1875-1900. All are Belgian made 1/2 size actions, really made as Rook rifles.

• Options
    The obverse on that 1901 Luzern is truly spectacular, BTW. I would venture the word "breathtaking" without much fear of exaggeration.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing.image
    Becky
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The obverse on that 1901 Luzern is truly spectacular, BTW. I would venture the word "breathtaking" without much fear of exaggeration. >>

What he said. That's a beautiful design.

Here are some of my K31 swiss straight-pull bolt action rifles. Made and used by the Swiss from about 1933 through the 1970s. Surrounded on all sides by hostile forces, the Swiss made every soldier a sniper--these babies are uber accurate. Under the butt plate of many of these rifles you can find a tag with the name and address of the soldier to whom they were originally issued. Some collectors have become pen pals with their original owners image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Swiss....congrats on some great pieces.