Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ID and value?

I bought this with some junk silver. I know it's German and commemorates the Waldeck - Prussia union. Any idea on value? Krause number? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    It's KM#62 - Waldeck/Prussia union

In the 2007 Krause, it's listed at F-$55.00, VF-$125.00, XF-$175.00, Unc. - $250.00

It appears that someone hairlined it by cleaning the coin, but carrying it for awhile in your pocket with other coins should knock the effect down a bit if your don't mind the resulting loss of detail.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Yep, KM#62 and it has been cleaned to boot. With the fairly high mintage this coin had (170K) for a Weimar commererative, it is pretty difficult to find one in any circulated condition without having being cleaned in the past... Even in UNC, uncleaned or unwiped coins are kind of an anomally for some reason. This is one of the real under achievers of the Weimar Republic in my humble opinion as far as pricing goes in nicer (uncleaned) grades...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info.image
    I guess it would make a cool pocket piece. I was surprised to see it with the mix of mercs, war nickels, and Brit silver.
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    I think the lines on the lower half of the denomination side may be heavy die polish not cleaning. I don't see the same lines on both sides and the lines appear raised. It may be cleaned but I think this photo is inconclusive. Don't use this as a pocket piece until you know for sure because it may actually be a nice XF. Die polish lines are raised from the surface when seen through magnification.
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    O.K. , looks like I'll need to take a closer look at this one. Thanks for the help everyone.