Home U.S. Coin Forum

So Important! - Sending Coins w/ US Postal Insurance + Bubble Pack vs Box

Sending valuable coins (Money!) to people you don't know, and whom live out of town is one of the most daring things we do in the Coin Business. The age-old question becomes how can I lower my risk, insure safe delivery and keep the transaction as cost-effective as possible?

I send out alot of Coins by US Mail and use Postal Insurance all of the time. I use to send coins in cheap Bubble packs to save money because I would rather use First Class Rates by keeping the weight below 13 Ounces and not have to use Priority Mail at $4.80 a pop. Then I came across the Regulations listed below and found out some stunners; FLATS AND BUBBLE PACKAGES ARE NOT INSURABLE!!

The Postal regulations on Postal Insurance Packages :

4.2.3 Ineligible Matter
The following types of mail may not be insured:

f. Standard Mail letters, flats, and NFMs.

g. Matter mailed at First-Class Mail prices (including Priority Mail) that consists of items described in 123.3.0, Content Standards for Priority Mail; 133.3.0, Content Standards; 233.2.0, Content Standards for First-Class Mail Letters; 333.2.0, Content Standards for First-Class Mail Flats; and 433.2.0, Content Standards for First-Class Mail Parcels, and required to be mailed at First-Class Mail prices.

US Postal Regs DMM 503

While some guys and gals here may have indeed filed an Insurance Claim at the Post Office for a Flat or Bubble Pack that was later paid. But for a $4,800 Claim, all you need is to come across a nasty, Postal Claims Manager who decides to be a wise-guy and you are screwed! I won’t take a chance of anything over $500.

But......How can I keep costs down and not use US Priority Mail at $4.80 and still use First Class prices to get around this stupid Regulation?

Whelp, just use a light weight Box that still manages to stay under 13 Ounces to solve the Problem. Thus, any Insurance Claim I would ever have to make can never be denied.

Sometimes I use a US Priority Mail Small Video Box (0-1096S) "8.625" x "5.375" x "1.625" , it weighs 2 ounces and is supplied by the US Postal Service for free ;>. It comes as an unfolded cardboard sheet that I simply fold inside out (keep the Postal Markings to the inside) . I then wrap it in Brown Reinforced Postal Tape to make it look like a registered mail and then purchase Insurance and Restricted Delivery.

__________________________________________________-

USE US Restricted Delivery!! This cost of $4.30 is WORTH EVERY PENNY when sending a Valuable Coin. I note that you can even get it while the package is in the System but not yet DELIVERED!! (See Section 7.3.2)

7.2.1 Description
Restricted delivery service permits a mailer to direct delivery only to the addressee or addressee's authorized agent. The addressee must be an individual (or natural person) specified by name.

Delivery
7.4.1 Conditions
Mail marked "Restricted Delivery" is delivered only to the addressee or to the person authorized in writing as the addressee's agent to receive the mail, subject to 508.1.0, Recipient Options, and 508.2.0, Conditions of Delivery,

Best Delivery Protection? - US Postal Restricted Delivery

OMG!!, you have made a huge mistake! You learn have just found out the guy on the other end about to get your package is a scammer and thief! What do you do? (and Quickly!)

Fill this out as Complete as possible, get to your post office and have them Fax to receiving Post Office a “Recall of Mail”

US Post Office Form 1509

Comments

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could have told you that two years ago. I have never, ever shipped anything in bubble mailers, I always use boxes. When I get something in a bubble mailer, I pretty much know the seller is just a cheap skate and doesn't really care how protected their items are after they get shipped. I use tissue paper, bubble wrap, and then either peanuts or butchers paper on everything I ship. I would never want to get an item I purchased in a piece of crap envelope so I don't ship that way.

I have purchased items before and the seller gets all bent out of shape when I told him the box was crushed in transit as if it were my fault. I once had a PCGS slab was cracked supposedly in transit. Cough up the extra pennies and pay to get the package shipped First Class Parcel Post if it means you can ship it in a box.

I mean, come on guys, do the right thing. I HATE it when people try to make money on shipping. They charge $5.00 to ship something and it only costs them $2.87 and then they cheap out and put it in a garbage bubble mailer….
  • Jesse you are missing the point of the thread:

Steps you need to take for sending Coins safely and protecting the transaction!
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Jesse you are missing the point of the thread:

Steps you need to take for sending Coins safely and protecting the transaction! >>

I think all of you guys are image
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    what's the diff between restricted delivery and registered?

soory if i missed something in your post, just waking up today.

BTW i have received stuff from COINBOY shipped just as he described and super-fast from Midwest to Westcoast

one thing 'fer sure, COINBOY did not cut his teeth packing for the fulfillment center!
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    FLATS AND BUBBLE PACKAGES ARE NOT INSURABLE!!

If it is lost, how would anyone know it is not in a small box??image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a lot of hassle.

What if you send it Registered (with sig confirmation to satisfy Paypal)? Can't you recall a Registered package if there are problems? You probably have more time to do so since Registered is slower.

Besides, first class / priority packages with tons of insurance scream "steal me" to less than ethical postal employees.
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I mail coins it's going to be in a box. It costs me a little more in shipping but I'd prefer them to actually get there.

When I was mailing trading cards quite often it was always a hassle that they were not elligible for extra protection. And they were ALWAYS in bubble mailers or boxes.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what's the diff between restricted delivery and registered?

soory if i missed something in your post, just waking up today. >>

registered mail is delivered to the address on the parcel and anyone who answers the door [even if its a burglar] can sign for it and take delivery; identification is supposed to be required. restricted delivery is an extra charge service for which only the addressee can sign; that is the package will be hand delivered to the one who is supposed to get it. kinda hokey imo as you would think the high security nature of registered mail would not be compromised in this manner. still there are VERY FEW problems with it. i do not know if restricted delivery is available for other service levels.
  • "Registered Mail is the most secure service that the USPS offers. It incorporates a system of receipts to monitor the movement of the mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. Registered Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt and, upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made. Customers can retrieve the delivery status in three ways: (1) over the Internet at www.usps.com by entering the article number shown on the mailing receipt; (2) by telephone at 1-800-222-1811; or (3) by bulk electronic file transfer for mailers who provide an electronic manifest to the USPS. USPS maintains a record of delivery (which includes the recipient's signature) for a specified period of time. Customers may obtain a delivery record by purchasing return receipt service. See 6.0 for details. "

This does NOT mean that the person on the other end MUST be the addressee. What you are buying is the MOST secure protection WITHIN the US Postal System. However, even though a signature is required at the destination, anybody at the address can sign, a receptionist at a busy company, a neighbor or even someone hanging around on the front porch.

ONLY Restricted Delivery guarantees as Proof in a Claim that the guy who was suppose to have signed for the package, did so.

Then there is the cost issue.

Same Coin sent First Class @ 8 ounces costs $2.00 more. For equal protection the Buyer signed for the package BOTH options require Restricted Delivery.

Mailing to Zone 8 for example:

First-Class Mail® Package $2.36
    Insurance (Insured for $1,000.00) 11.25
    Delivery Confirmation® 0.75
    Restricted Delivery 4.30
    Total $18.66

OR

First-Class Mail® Package $2.36
    Registered Mail (Insured for $1,000.00) 13.30
    Delivery Confirmation® 0.75
    Restricted Delivery 4.30
    Total $20.71
  • If it is lost, how would anyone know it is not in a small box??

Whelp, you are comitting a felony when you file a false description of your lost item. Imagine they turn the place upside down to avoid a $4,500 Claim and they find it in a cheap-ass bubble pack versus the Box you claimed it was in?

I'd rather they find my $4,500 Box wrapped in Brown reinforced postal tape like I wrote down on my Insurance claim, then take a chance like that.
  • Regardless of Ebay policy, when I sell anything from $500 and up, based on my prior bad experiences, I won't sell to folks with less than 50 feedback. I put that in my ad. I really don't care if I get kicked off Ebay...... I have had too many scammers say they got empty boxes over 10 years. Maybe I just have had bad luck, but ya gotta do what you think is right to protect yourself.

One thing I've found is that a signature has reduced the scammers significantly. I've sold a few Saints registered mail, and was somewhat nervous until they posted good feedback.

I don't feel comfortable selling anything over $2,000 on ebay so I don't. Perfect strangers. Bad business IMO. Paypal has told me verbally that when in doubt, they will always side with the buyer's complaint! Even with overwhelming evidence on the side of the seller. (I'm just the messenger, that's what I was told, it is not in their written policy.)

It would be nice if there were a solution to the problem. The other thing I do is enclose a packing slip with 2 signatures on it verifying the contents.

• Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭
    I did not know this and it is good to know for future mailings. In the last 2 years I have had two insured bubble packages lost containing coins and have had no problems collecting the insurance money for them.

Gary
  • For very valuable stuff, I would not chance it.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it is lost, how would anyone know it is not in a small box??

Whelp, you are comitting a felony when you file a false description of your lost item. Imagine they turn the place upside down to avoid a $4,500 Claim and they find it in a cheap-ass bubble pack versus the Box you claimed it was in?

I'd rather they find my $4,500 Box wrapped in Brown reinforced postal tape like I wrote down on my Insurance claim, then take a chance like that. >>

The description of the lost item will be correct, but I just won't say anything about the container. As I remember, I don't believe the claim form ask in what kind of container the lost item was shipped in anyways.image I could be wrong, I have not filed a claim for many years.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• What makes you think that mailing coins in a bubble mailer is ineligible?

There is also the part that says "Eligible Matter". Did you read that part also? My interpretation is that anything that is mailed First Class (as opposed to Standard Mail) is insurable no matter what package it is in.

On another note, if it's not insurable then why do they even allow you to insure it ?
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>But......How can I keep costs down and not use US Priority Mail at $4.80 and still use First Class prices to get around this stupid Regulation?

Whelp, just use a light weight Box that still manages to stay under 13 Ounces to solve the Problem. Thus, any Insurance Claim I would ever have to make can never be denied.

Sometimes I use a US Priority Mail Small Video Box (0-1096S) "8.625" x "5.375" x "1.625" , it weighs 2 ounces and is supplied by the US Postal Service for free ;>. It comes as an unfolded cardboard sheet that I simply fold inside out (keep the Postal Markings to the inside) . I then wrap it in Brown Reinforced Postal Tape to make it look like a registered mail and then purchase Insurance and Restricted Delivery. >>

Don't postal regulations prohibit the use of USPS provided Priority Mail packaging for first class mail?
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Why would the PO insure items in a bubble mailer if they are not insurable?

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

<< <i>

<< <i>But......How can I keep costs down and not use US Priority Mail at $4.80 and still use First Class prices to get around this stupid Regulation?

Sometimes I use a US Priority Mail Small Video Box (0-1096S) "8.625" x "5.375" x "1.625" , it weighs 2 ounces and is supplied by the US Postal Service for free ;>. It comes as an unfolded cardboard sheet that I simply fold inside out (keep the Postal Markings to the inside) . I then wrap it in Brown Reinforced Postal Tape to make it look like a registered mail and then purchase Insurance and Restricted Delivery. >>

Don't postal regulations prohibit the use of USPS provided Priority Mail packaging for first class mail? >>

Yes, I've already been warned not to do that again image
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone here know of a cheap source to buy small boxes in bulk? I'm talking about the size of box useful for mailing single coins. I don't want to pay $2.50 per box at the post office, nor do I want to take advantage of their free priority mail boxes.

I am a dedicated bubbler mailer user on items under $500-600, and I have not had problems with them. Coins are taped up between paper and stiff cardboard, then put into the bubbler mailer, which is taped shut as securely as possible. I have had only one lost mailer out of about 500 sent, plus one that was torn open / contents stolen. Postal insurance was recovered on both. That 0.4% loss rate is probably below the average rate for lost US mail.

It still costs about $5.50 to mail a coin in a small bubble mailer insured for $200. Add $2 to that, and people start crying about shipping costs. And if a crook is determined to steal the contents of your package, they can do it just as easily with a box. I do like small boxes when people order 5 or more coins, though.
  • What he said!
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Don't be an alarmist. I've shipped hundreds if not thousands of registered mail packages with no problems (knock on wood). I did use the recall form once when I accidently shipped one customer's order twice. I just used the recall to save him the trouble and me the expense of shipping it back. I wasn't at all worried about it.

How much are you talking about spending extra here? I think the restricted delivery is about $4.50. I've used it a time or two when I was a little uneasy or had a reason to believe the buyer wasn't able to provide a secure delivery at his end. But for a $700 coin if you pass on the restricted deliveryyou need to ship 155 coins w/o losing one to break even. In recent times I've way exceeded that.

In the instance you recently posted you sensed a problem, used the right tools, and avoided a loss. It is a failure of modern society to take this example and apply it to every transaction. I think the right answer is to do just what you did--use the appropriate tool when you need it. But to spend the money for restricted delivery on every routine transaction is throwing money away in my opinion.

--Jerry

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..............some good new info here ; but Lordy , Lordy ......still a complicated maze of sheet to wade thru .

Somebody better tell Teletrade since they use a lot of bubble mailers ..........

so what was the bottom line ? yes or no for insuring bubble mailers ????????
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone here know of a cheap source to buy small boxes in bulk? I'm talking about the size of box useful for mailing single coins. I don't want to pay $2.50 per box at the post office, nor do I want to take advantage of their free priority mail boxes. I am a dedicated bubbler mailer user on items under $500-600, and I have not had problems with them. Coins are taped up between paper and stiff cardboard, then put into the bubbler mailer, which is taped shut as securely as possible. I have had only one lost mailer out of about 500 sent, plus one that was torn open / contents stolen. Postal insurance was recovered on both. That 0.4% loss rate is probably below the average rate for lost US mail. It still costs about $5.50 to mail a coin in a small bubble mailer insured for $200. Add $2 to that, and people start crying about shipping costs. And if a crook is determined to steal the contents of your package, they can do it just as easily with a box. I do like small boxes when people order 5 or more coins, though. >>

I use boxes for anything over a grand. I ship dozens of inexpensive coins in a bubble mailer every day. I always use boxes for registered mail. Priority mail is required for anything over 13 oz and I use their box for that. But for one slab you can get away with first class mail and save a few bucks. I use small video foldup boxes that I buy at my local Mail Boxes etc. They charge $2 each but I talked them into $.75 each in bulk.

Then I ordered a bunch of Sacs Rolls from the mint. Inside the large cardboard box was a bunch of small white boxes designed to hold rolls of dollars. I saved those and now use them for registered mail.

--Jerry
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boxes are mandatory for the registred insured at the P.O. However, you have to cover every corner of the box in tape, which does take more time, but it is necessary for the highest insurance. For coins $1,000 and under, I use bubble mailers. They protect the coin, are convenient and very insurable. The post office has taken my money hundreds of times for the insurance and I have made claims on them.

The P.O. will not accept bubble mailers for their registered insurance (where the package is put under lock and key for transport), so the shipper doesn't even have a choice in the matter.

However, coin collecting still has a huge base for those coins $100 and under and if a seller wants to make their coins marketable, you cannot have a $10.00 shipping cost on a $40.00 coin. Bubble wraps are perfect for the lower end coin base.

Tyler
    Regular paper envelopes can also be used for registered mail. If you're selling raw coins, a Safe-T-Mailer and an envelope is quicker to package, cheaper to mail and just as secure.

• Does anyone here know of a cheap source to buy small boxes in bulk? I'm talking about the size of box useful for mailing single coins. I don't want to pay $2.50 per box at the post office, nor do I want to take advantage of their free priority mail boxes.

I have found uline to be an excellent source.
  • I am not trying to be alarmest however, many Folks on the US Coin Forum ship coins valued over $500 to buyers and this value transaction requires knowledge of what you can proactively do to aliveate the inherent risk of shipping money great distances.

I hope that by posting my own research and experience, in one "Bookmark-able spot", I have been able to share critical information that no one taught me and that I had to learn by trail and error.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone here know of a cheap source to buy small boxes in bulk? I'm talking about the size of box useful for mailing single coins. I don't want to pay $2.50 per box at the post office, nor do I want to take advantage of their free priority mail boxes.

I have found uline to be an excellent source. >>

Mason Box has these sizes for Reg. mail.
  • I must also disagree with Tyler. Boxes are NOT mandatory for Registered! Letters and flats (ala PCGS for 4 coins or less) are registerable.

However, there are indeed many, many postal clerks that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground and one of these clerks may have missinformed Tyler.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭

<< <i>
    I send out alot of Coins by US Mail and use Postal Insurance all of the time. I use to send coins in cheap Bubble packs to save money because I would rather use First Class Rates by keeping the weight below 13 Ounces and not have to use Priority Mail at $4.80 a pop. Then I came across the Regulations listed below and found out some stunners; FLATS AND BUBBLE PACKAGES ARE NOT INSURABLE!!
    >>

Items shipped on a bubble mailer are absolutely insurable. If the post office insures it, it is insured - 100%. explaining to the postmaster after the package is lost that it is a bubble mailer with a coin in it in no way voids the insurance - that would simply be ridiculous. Pay particular attention to 4.2.3 D! A bubble mailer with an appropriate thickness (I believe 3/4") is considered a small package and is insurable under 4.2.2 A and C and 4.2.3 D

From the USPS website:

4.2.2 Eligible Matter
    The following types of mail may be insured:

a. First-Class Mail (including Priority Mail), if it contains matter that may be mailed as Standard Mail or Package Services.
    b. Standard Mail pieces prepared as machinable or irregular parcels (bulk insurance only).
    c. Package Services and Parcel Select pieces.
    d. Official government mail endorsed "Postage and Fees Paid."

4.2.3 Ineligible Matter
    The following types of mail may not be insured:

a. Parcels containing matter offered for sale, addressed to prospective purchasers who have not ordered or authorized their sending. If such matter is mailed, payment is not made for loss, rifling, or damage.
    b. Nonmailable matter.
    c. Articles so fragile that they cannot be carried safely in the mail regardless of packaging.
    d. Articles not adequately prepared to withstand normal handling in the mail. As a rule, any mailable package should be insurable.
    e. Mail not bearing the complete names and addresses of the sender and addressee.
    f. Standard Mail letters, flats, and NFMs.

Jeff
  • The Postal regulations countradict each other, read BOTH!!

I would error on safety for large value coins.

<< <i>Imagine they turn the place upside down to avoid a $4,500 Claim and they find it in a cheap-ass bubble pack versus the Box you claimed it was in? >>

Why would that be any different than the post office finding out that the tape-wrapped first class box you mailed was really a turned-inside-out Priority Mail box?
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭

<< <i>The Postal regulations countradict each other, read BOTH!!

I would error on safety for large value coins. >>

I would also error on the side of safety. I Would never send a coin valued at more than about $75.00 via "soft" package. Anything over that I automatically ship via priority (in a box). To make matters even safer, I insure via a third party - which is cheaper and much easier to make and collect claims. Claims are handled immediately and there is no nonsense like type of packaging to worry about! Third party insurers also offer some advantages such as the ability to post insure even after the item has been sent and registered with a USPS tracking number - this is a huge advantage and one that I took advantage of just last week!

Jeff

<< <i>Regular paper envelopes can also be used for registered mail. If you're selling raw coins, a Safe-T-Mailer and an envelope is quicker to package, cheaper to mail and just as secure. >>

By its secure nature, registered mail is treated kinder and gentler than is other mail, so for small or a very few items it is usually NOT NECESSARY to pack it to survive a nuclear esplosion. A little common sense prevails here.
  • ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392

<< <i>

<< <i>Imagine they turn the place upside down to avoid a $4,500 Claim and they find it in a cheap-ass bubble pack versus the Box you claimed it was in? >>

Why would that be any different than the post office finding out that the tape-wrapped first class box you mailed was really a turned-inside-out Priority Mail box? >>

because printed on the inside of the box is "priority mail." Specifically done so you can't do what you suggest. Those boxes are meant ONLY for Priority Mail.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    That postal tape you use to wrap it in weighs more than the 2 ounces the box does.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why would that be any different than the post office finding out that the tape-wrapped first class box you mailed was really a turned-inside-out Priority Mail box? >>

because printed on the inside of the box is "priority mail." Specifically done so you can't do what you suggest. Those boxes are meant ONLY for Priority Mail. >>

If you wrap it in the brown gum tape you can't see those markings.
  • ILikeMercsILikeMercs Posts: 1,392

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

because printed on the inside of the box is "priority mail." Specifically done so you can't do what you suggest. Those boxes are meant ONLY for Priority Mail. >>

If you wrap it in the brown gum tape you can't see those markings. >>

yes, I suppose. I prefer not to commit fraud though. If it becomes an issue, I'm pretty sure they could figure out what you did.
    imageDo not taunt Happy Fun Ball image
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    People do this all the time. Is it unethical? You be the judge. You don't think the post office knows people turn them inside out?

Of course they do. If they really cared they wouldn't hand them out for free.

As for the issue at hand, I agree with GuitarWes and Coll3ctor. Why would the clerk insure a package
    that is not insurable? I have shipped things in bubble mailers with insurance. Generally, I like the small priority box.
    If the item is $500 anyway, what's a few extra bucks.

I am not a dealer, so when I sell I can afford to lose a few bucks on shipping to insure that it gets there safely and to give
    me peace of mind. I can understand where it would be different if I was shipping loads of stuff every day.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

I can't. Someone selling expensive items all day, every day, has the money to cover the extra cost.

It comes down to being Cheap.
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I must also disagree with Tyler. Boxes are NOT mandatory for Registered! Letters and flats (ala PCGS for 4 coins or less) are registerable.

However, there are indeed many, many postal clerks that don't know their azz from a hole in the ground and one of these clerks may have missinformed Tyler. >>

My comparison was only for the Bubble mailers vs the box packaging. Bubble mailers cannot be registered insured. If a person wants to stick a coin in a letter to mail it then let me know first so that I can buy from someone else. image

Tyler
  • JBTurnerJBTurner Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Remember... The only trackable service USPS has is Express Mail...if it was not mailed USPS Express mail it is NOT trackable.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    And trackable means what?
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bubble envelopes ARE insurable, as pointed out by several posters.

They are clearly allowed under the Eligible section of the regs. The sections referred to by the OP seem to deal with some restricted items sent via that method; of course restricted items cannot be insured (like explosives, etc.)

Also as pointed out... if they would not allow insurance on bubble envelopes and flats.... the PO would never allow you to purchase it. And yes.... if you have to file a claim, there is absolutely no requirements to describe the envelope, etc.

I have NEVER been contested when purchasing insurance on flats or bubble envelopes. They are perfectly legal.
    ----- kj

<< <i>And trackable means what? >>

I'd guess it means that you could go to the USPS website and enter the tracking number and it would give you up to the minute info on current location as well as where it has been. If it was scanned in at Bugtussle, TN 5 minutes before you entered the tracking number, it will show that. Sorta like how UPS does it.

• << <i>Bubble envelopes ARE insurable, as pointed out by several posters. They are clearly allowed under the Eligible section of the regs. The sections referred to by the OP seem to deal with some restricted items sent via that method; of course restricted items cannot be insured (like explosives, etc.) Also as pointed out... if they would not allow insurance on bubble envelopes and flats.... the PO would never allow you to purchase it. And yes.... if you have to file a claim, there is absolutely no requirements to describe the envelope, etc. I have NEVER been contested when purchasing insurance on flats or bubble envelopes. They are perfectly legal. >>

This week I rec'd 3 seperate 1 oz. gold eagle purchases. Each came in a bubble wrap pkg with insurance and signature confirmation.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bubble envelopes ARE insurable, as pointed out by several posters. They are clearly allowed under the Eligible section of the regs. The sections referred to by the OP seem to deal with some restricted items sent via that method; of course restricted items cannot be insured (like explosives, etc.) Also as pointed out... if they would not allow insurance on bubble envelopes and flats.... the PO would never allow you to purchase it. And yes.... if you have to file a claim, there is absolutely no requirements to describe the envelope, etc. I have NEVER been contested when purchasing insurance on flats or bubble envelopes. They are perfectly legal. >>

This week I rec'd 3 seperate 1 oz. gold eagle purchases. <STRONG>Each came in a bubble wrap pkg with insurance and signature confirmation.</STRONG> >>

You weren't doing the MS/ebay/paypal 25% cashback, or something, were you? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>Remember... The only trackable service USPS has is Express Mail...if it was not mailed USPS Express mail it is NOT trackable. >>

This is not correct ; the post office can track things internally and a customer can track items on line .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file