Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dirty french gold - 2 not so dirty pieces added.

Hm; sounds offensive. Pardonez moi.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Any dirty old gold will doimage
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    original!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage

Common cheap coins, apparently. I know nothing of rarity for these items. I do like the designs.

What struck me about the french 1911 coin...the fine fleur-de-lis border...and the very strong vertical die polish lines on the reverse. Interesting!

It also is a much more silvery coin. I cannot say that the white balance is the same for the 1817 french gold coin at the beginning of the thread, but the color difference between the 1911 and 1929 is very accurately represented here.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    I like image
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It also is a much more silvery coin. I cannot say that the white balance is the same for the 1817 french gold coin at the beginning of the thread, but the color difference between the 1911 and 1929 is very accurately represented here. >>

Adam,

When I was looking to buy a Rooster I found the following information -

Roosters issued starting in 1898 through 1906, have an edge design of DIEU PROTEGE LA FRANCE. (1st series)

Roosters issued starting in 1907 through 1914, have an edge design of LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE. (2nd series)

Roosters dated 1907 to 1914, have also been officially re-struck and thus can often be obtained in Unc condition at close to bullion price. This second series has been minted again since 1948, when the gold market reopened after WW II. They were re-struck using the original 1907-1914 dies. The characteristic of this re-struck series is the reddish aspect of the coins, because of the presence of more copper in them, as stated by Aidan Work.

If you would like your rooster to be an original 2nd series, as opposed to a re-strike, beware of the color. If the coin has a reddish tone to it, then the gold has had copper added to it and it is a re-strike. If it appears yellow, then the gold has had silver added to it and it is an original 2nd series.

For further information see "Le franc VI", p.465, in french I'm afraid.

So Adam, from the yellow/silver color yours appears to be an original 2nd series. To some people it doesn't matter if their's is a re-strike. As the re-strikes are often found in better condition than originals. Personally I prefer an original.

EDIT: These are 6.45gm, 21mm and .900 fine.

I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    As a child I saw a picture of the rooster coin in a dictionary. I was fascinated by the rooster and always wanted one. I finally got one.
    Low and behold, after seeing the coin in real relief, I now much prefer the obverse to the reverse.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    good stuff Adam, beautiful designs on those.

If you're becoming interested in the realm of beautiful world gold coins, take a look at Silvereagle82's (in this thread) signature line. He has amassed an impressive array of world gold coins, from many centuries!

thanks for sharing!

Doug

• Options
    Fascinating information about the silver and copper restrikes on the french coin.

Yep, my coin is clearly pale and on the silvery side. It looked unusual to me. I'm glad I paid attention to white balance and i'm glad I posted on this forum, as I had no idea that such a distinction existed.

I sort of wish I had done more reading before purchasing. I'm not certain where to look. The coin itself looked very nice to me and that's how i've been purchasing lately. Based on eye candy and how I feel about the coin from a design standpoint, relatively ignorant of the history. They are incredible lead-ins to history.

Silvereagle82's collection is fascinating to look through. I need to take some serious time to examine those.

In the mean time, i'll keep my eye open everywhere I can looking for nice examples of world gold!!! I like the look of the set so far and 'it needs' to be larger.

Thanks for all of the good information!
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Adam, I'm glad that was helpful. It's the least I could do in return for all of the beautiful and interesting coins you take the time to post.

Yes it looks like you lucked out and got an original. It's a gamble buying a 2nd series Rooster online because few people post pictures that show true colors. But many people are happy with a re-strike because of the usually better condition.

I have an interest in French coins, especially 18th and 19th century. But I haven't found any in depth sites or books that are in english. I just pick up bits of information here and there.

I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, waittasecond- that last one ain't gold, OR French! image

(Edit: Duh- I meant it ain't DIRTY, or French. Of course it's gold.)

It's all good, though!

Now you need some Louis d'or!!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>It's a gamble buying a 2nd series Rooster online because few people post pictures that show true colors >>

You don't know the half of it. It came from TeleTrade! I got lucky.

The last one isn't gold?!? Did I get ripped off?

Louis d'or, eh? I need to hang out in this forum. The world is a huge, interesting place!
  • Options
    <<Hey, waittasecond- that last one ain't gold,""

Looks like 22 K gold to me. Please explain.
  • Options
    'Twas a typo. A brain conniption.

I meant to type, "Hey, waittasecond- that last one ain't dirty, or French!"

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Adam,
    Since you got the Rooster from Teletrade I assume it is slabbed ... care to share the grade ?

Regarding my gold collection ... please take your time in your examination of both the photos and the descriptions. I take a lot of pride in providing all the interesting information (numismatic and historical) I can for each coin. I'm always searching for new information to add to my coin details. I get as much enjoyment in researching the facts about each coin I buy as I do in admiring their beauty !!!

Welcome to "World" of Gold image

Determined .... Thank for sharing those facts on the French rooster.
    Doogy ... Thanks for the plug image ... By the way Adam the Netherlands 10 Gulden (NGC MS66) in my collection once resided in Doug's collection !!
  • Options
    Both the rooster coin and the 1929 sovereign reside in NGC MS-63 plastic.
    Apparently, 63 is not a grade that is at much of a premium. I recall paying close to 'cheap worn half eagle' prices for these two.

Try getting any US gold in a 63 numeric grade close to melt.

The euro coins must be on the metric grading scale.

• Options
    Just noticed the SA mintmark on that sovereign. Cool.