Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Vespian Medal?

I am trying to figure this one out. I am assuming that this is from the 18th century, but I cannot find anything about this medal. It is about the size of a US quarter or a little larger. Basically, 27mm. It appears to be made of copper. Any ideas? -Dan

Comments

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am guessing 1850s and part of a set?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Nice "wood toning" even though I know nothing of the medal/token...

Keep us informed of what you find out about it.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.

It has a late-18th/early-19th Century look to it. I like it.

1790s-1820s would be my guess, but Aethelred could be correct in placing it a bit later. It certainly does appear to have been part of a Roman emperors set.

Just for the heck of it, here's Vespasian in his own time. His reign actually began in the summer of 69 AD, unlike what the medal above says. This coin was probably struck during that summer, before he actually arrived in Rome. It's an imaginative portrait, since nobody quite knew what he looked like when they engraved the dies.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.