Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1917 Proof... How would you know? What to compare against?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've really enjoyed reading these discussions in the past, but one thing sticks in my head: Even if there were proof coins minted in 1917, would the diagnostics used to produce proofs in previous years carry over? I've seen similar diagnostics on subsequent year offerings. Barring a completely reworked hub or newly polished die, you'd think similarities would exist that would enable you to prove the proof status of a coin over that of a "prooflike" specimen.

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    The "question?" about a 1917 MPL has been discussed in the hobby for thirty years. I have personally determined that I will believe such a coin exists WHEN EITHER PCGS OR NGC slab such a coin as a genuine proof. Until that happens I choose NOT to believe ANY "stories" about such a coin. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'd think if a 1917 proof was discovered it would leave no doubt to any and all who behold it

they just have a look about them and diagnostic's would be established then accordingly so
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't there been other denominations certified as "proof" from the year 1917? I seem to remember a certain proof 1917 Buffalo Nickel. Perhaps it was mis-attributed.

Being a longtime collector of business strike Lincolns, I have either come across or still own several early date coins that I would consider to have PL surfaces, but are undoubtedly MS. Most of those PL coins for me come with an "S" mintmark... so there can be no question. Regardless, the "Matte-Like" surfaces are very real. I even had a raw 1917-s that a dealer classified as "PL". It was an AT coin, blue no less, but fun to look at. I think I paid $30 for it, sold it years later as AT, and turned a $100 profit. You should have seen that coin. Mirror edge, squared-off letters, chiseled beard, and pebbly fields.

My point is, holding a coin like that dated 1917 (P) you would be tempted to say like, "hey, this has to be a proof coin." And what I'm wondering is, who's to say that it isn't?

-Matt
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    "My point is, holding a coin like that dated 1917 (P) you would be tempted to say like, "hey, this has to be a proof coin." And what I'm wondering is, who's to say that it isn't?"

tpg companies have a vested interest due to their guarentee/reputations...they truly are a whose to say with that in mind
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see