Home Sports Talk
Options

Would you rather go to four straight Super Bowls (and win none) or win one and never come close agai

EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
I know the Buffalo Bills' run of four straight AFC pennants (1990-93) is unmatched in all of Super Bowl history (I don't think anyone has even gone to three straight Super Bowls if I'm not mistaken), but at the same time, the fact they won none of them has made them a joke to some people. Nevertheless, it got me thinking, and be honest. If given the choice between going to the big game four straight years (but not winning any) versus winning one championship but never coming close to another before or since (2000 Ravens?), which would you choose, and why?

I'll probably be in the minority here, but I think it'd be way cool and quite a privledge to get to go to the big stage four straight years, even if you don't win any of them. For that matter, what do the real Bills players who've been there all four of those years think?
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you're not first, you're last...I'll take the one ring any day, any sport rather than be a perennial loser.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would 100% take the 1 ring rather than being in the pathetic Buffalo Bills spot! image
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather spend 5 minutes with Maria Sharapova...that's about as long as I'd last.
  • Options
    I'd definitely take the win. Like you said, the Bills have become somewhat of a joke because of that. People don't usually look at the fact that they were good enough to go to 4 straight bowls, just the fact that they weren't good enough to win them.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    Easy - take the ring. Be a champion.
  • Options
    duh.
    the ring baby!@
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    As a long suffering Vikings fan - I would definnitely take one Super bowl win!!!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a Bronco fan and remember the angst I suffered when the Donkeys went to 4 Super Bowls in the 70's and 80's against the Cowboys, Giants, Skins and Niners and losing all four games (none were remotely close).

My angst and suffering disappeared as soon as the Broncos beat the Packers in the 1998 Superbowl. They then won again against the Falcons the next year.

Even if the Broncos never win another Superbowl, I do not care. They got the "Loser" monkey off their back when they beat the Packers and as a fna, nothing was sweeter.

So in answer to the question posed by the OP, I would rather win one and never come close again than lose four straight.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    There is no substitute for winning, especially winning now.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Bills fan here.

I'm in the minority.

I would take 4 more straight trips in a span of 4 years, loosing all of them again, in lieu of a ring ANYDAY.

We got 4 straight years of rooting for our team until the final game. That's close to SIXTEEN extra games in the 4 year span. EVERYONE ELSE's teams were already playing golf.

Come on - if your team aint in the big game, is it really that much fun watching?

I know we're branded as loosers, but it's not like I was on any of those teams. Who cares. The run was great. Absoulutely nothing better than having your team dominate through the playoffs and get to the championship. Except, I guess, actually winnng one.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bills fan here.

I'm in the minority.

I would take 4 more straight trips in a span of 4 years, loosing all of them again, in lieu of a ring ANYDAY.

We got 4 straight years of rooting for our team until the final game. That's close to SIXTEEN extra games in the 4 year span. EVERYONE ELSE's teams were already playing golf.

Come on - if your team aint in the big game, is it really that much fun watching?

I know we're branded as loosers, but it's not like I was on any of those teams. Who cares. The run was great. Absoulutely nothing better than having your team dominate through the playoffs and get to the championship. Except, I guess, actually winnng one. >>

Bob, I always will look at those Bills teams as great ones- Kelly, Thomas, Reed and the great defensive players you guys had, it is a shame they actually never won one. But it was great ammo for 12 of us when we marched into Buffallo Stadium a few years ago wearing Patriots jerseys! Buffallo fans were trying to heckle us but our group was to big for them to get anywhere with it! image
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    They may have won all four had Norwood made the FG. I still feel bad for that guy.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    and I'd take the ring ...
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options

<< <i>They may have won all four had Norwood made the FG. I still feel bad for that guy. >>

Wasn't Norwood's fault, actually the offensive lineman that received a holding penalty the play before.......ah, nevermind. Slowly backing away now.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Most folks other than Bills fans would take the ring. I don't care if you went 10 straight times. It only means you were the best team in the AFC not the NFL. Only homers remember runner up finishes, sorry but that is the way it is.
  • Options
    So Mike -

You're saying you would of rather had ND NOT make it to any of these Bowl Games if they could trade them for winning just 1? Just messing around. I know they won 13 of 'em prior.

January 2, 1995 Fiesta Bowl L Colorado 24 41
    January 1, 1996 Orange Bowl L Florida State 26 31
    December 28, 1997 Independence Bowl L LSU 9 27
    January 1, 1999 Gator Bowl L Georgia Tech 28 35
    January 1, 2001 Fiesta Bowl L Oregon State 9 41
    January 1, 2003 Gator Bowl L North Carolina State 6 28
    December 28, 2004 Insight Bowl L Oregon State 21 38
    January 2, 2006 Fiesta Bowl L Ohio State 20 34
    January 3, 2007 Sugar Bowl L LSU 14 41
  • Options

<< <i>There is no substitute for winning, especially winning now.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Die hard lifelong Seahawk fan checking in

I was in Denver last year watching my Seahawks destroy the Doncos in what was Cutlers frist pro start. i was with my cousin who is a lifelong Donco fan.

Anyway, some Seahawk fan was wearing an NFC champion Seahawk jacket, my cousin shouted out that it may as well say "first place loser" Im happy we made it to the dance, but I would rather take one win over 4 appearances.

great thread

joe
  • Options
    The only conceivable argument, and a poor one at that, is that as a result of making it to four (4) straight Super Bowls, is that the Bills played seven (7) extra home games, e.g. two (2) in 1991, two (2) in 1992, one (1) in 1993 and (2) in 1994 and the owner of the Bills made a few extra $$$$ that he otherwise would not have made had there been no playoffs. But like I said, that's a poor argument.

The 49ers have won five (5) Super Bowls, the last coming in the 1994-95 season. If you had asked me after Super Bowl XXIX how many Super Bowls the 49ers would win in the next twenty (20) years, I probably would have said at least one (1). Well this coming season, the 2008-09 season, will be the 14th season since their last Super Bowl Championship. And as we all know, the 49ers are light years from making, much less winning a Super Bowl. I can't see it happening any earlier than five (5) seasons from now. So would I take a Championship this year for a guaranteed 20 straight losing seasons? Absolutely and without hesitation.

/s/ JackWESQ

• Options
    I've been a Bills fan all my life! Would I want one trophy, Yes! Would I take away all those great seasons to get one trophy, No! I wouldn't trade the complete buzz that the Buffalo Bills gave western NY during those great times for anything!

We loved our team, picked them up when they were down and never gave up on them! and they gave us a team of hof and future hof players and one of the best coaches IMO!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think anyone has even gone to three straight Super Bowls if I'm not mistaken >>

Miami went to 3 straight Super Bowls (won 2 of them).
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options

<< <i>So Mike -

You're saying you would of rather had ND NOT make it to any of these Bowl Games if they could trade them for winning just 1? Just messing around. I know they won 13 of 'em prior.

January 2, 1995 Fiesta Bowl L Colorado 24 41
    January 1, 1996 Orange Bowl L Florida State 26 31
    December 28, 1997 Independence Bowl L LSU 9 27
    January 1, 1999 Gator Bowl L Georgia Tech 28 35
    January 1, 2001 Fiesta Bowl L Oregon State 9 41
    January 1, 2003 Gator Bowl L North Carolina State 6 28
    December 28, 2004 Insight Bowl L Oregon State 21 38
    January 2, 2006 Fiesta Bowl L Ohio State 20 34
    January 3, 2007 Sugar Bowl L LSU 14 41 >>

Bob that wasn't the question and its apples to oranges. I am not one of those fans whose life revolves around winning national championships, bowl games and undefeated seasons. Fortunately we've won several in my life time so no need for an encore for me.

It's also not a fair comparison, as one is professional sports and one is college. In college you turn over your team every 4 years and at least in ND's philosophy you have to graduate the kids. The number is90-95%. In the pros you play unless you go to jail. get injured, retire or beat out.

But to answer your question if my college team that I root for, ND, Purdue, Ball State or IU went to four BCS bowls in a row and lost all four I would consider it an accomplishment but still a failure not to have won. I'd take the one championship if such an unlikely event happened.

Pro sports is a total different reality as you well know. My fan loyalty to ND has everything to do with the tradition, the people I've met, coaches, players and adminstrators. Many of whom I have gotten to know over the years and befriended and many of whom I have great respect for.
  • Options
    Here is a quick story for you Bill fans. Recently a long time and dear friend of mine passed on. He coached locally at a high school, was Ara's defensive coach, head coach at Kentucky and a Bill's assistant. He told me an OJ story that went like this; if you are old enough to remember OJ ran from the "I" formation and for much of his career in Buffalo, Braxton was his fullback. If you look at old film you will see that he (Braxton) crossed his arms behind his back. He did this so he could point to OJ which way to run. Seems OJ couldn't remember the plays. image
  • Options
    Aesop wrote about that in the Fox and the grapes fable. image
  • Options

<< <i>It's a rather odd coincidence (or maybe not) that the only responders who would rather have an excellent streak of losing the "big game" rather than just winning it once are all Bills fans. >>

Once, when Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown was asked if his unusually effective curveball was the result of his "unusual" hand, he replied that he didn't know because he had never thrown with a normal hand.

Similarly, perhaps the Bills' fan are responding that they would rather have an excellent strek of losing the "big game" beause they never known what if feels like to have won "big game."

Now for Broncos' fans, the story is different because the Broncos lost their first four (4) Super Bowl appearances before winning two (2) in a row.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Incidentally, I live right next door to Kentucky Wesleyan College (the Divsion II equivlant of UK) and I remember their impressive run of six straight "pennants" (1998-2003). Granted, they did win championships in 2001 and 2003, but I think it's still quite a feat. image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I would 100% take the 1 ring rather than being in the pathetic Buffalo Bills spot! >>

I would take one ring and never come close again rather than being remembered as the multiple times chokers.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is a quick story for you Bill fans. Recently a long time and dear friend of mine passed on. He coached locally at a high school, was Ara's defensive coach, head coach at Kentucky and a Bill's assistant. He told me an OJ story that went like this; if you are old enough to remember OJ ran from the "I" formation and for much of his career in Buffalo, Braxton was his fullback. If you look at old film you will see that he (Braxton) crossed his arms behind his back. He did this so he could point to OJ which way to run. Seems OJ couldn't remember the plays. image >>

Good job pointing OJ's way to a 2,000 yard season in only 14 games and right into the HOF

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET