Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Donations for kids sought - 2008 HUNT CONCLUDED - see last post for images

This will be the fourth year we've posted on collectors universe regarding donations for our free club sponsored metal detecting hunt for kids, and our continued thanks to those who have participated in the past.

Club background/information:
Mid-Western Artifact Society (MWAS) was founded in 1976 in the area of Kansas City, KS. We are one of three local area clubs in the area covering different parts of Kansas City. Ours operates headquartered out of Overland Park. The club currently has 69 members with interests ranging from coin collecting to civil war relic hunting, and cover all age ranges. The club has been growing with many new members this past year, and has been mentioned in national publications (Western and Eastern Treasures). MWAS operates entirely non-profit. Fees for membership in the club also cover membership in the Federation of Metal Detector and Archaeological Clubs, Inc. The club holds indoor meetings during the winter (Nov-March), and outdoor meetings once a month April - October. Indoor meetings consist of various topics / guest speakers, and outdoor meetings are generally a 2 hour hunt and pot-luck lunch with MWAS supplying hot dogs or chicken. Monthly contests with coin prizes are awarded to individuals based on their monthly finds in 6 categories, with a limit of winning each category, or 5 total categories, only once during the year to allow all a fair chance. There is also a coin "door" prize drawn from attendees of the monthly meeting, as well as a monthly newsletter e-mailed or postal mailed to all members. The costs of the prizes, newsletter, food, etc., come almost entirely from donations and voluntary participation raffles that are held at each meeting.

The club also volunteers to help the police when called for looking for metallic objects at crime scenes. I personally have volunteered for 3 such calls; one involving a shooting, one to locate handcuffs used during a rape crime, and another in seeking evidence at the scene of where a father murdered and buried his two children in the woods. In addition, the club has volunteered and cooperated with local archaeologists at several important sites, such as a large camping area used where two wagon trails crossed to recover artifacts before a park was built on top of the land, losing many of those artifacts forever. A plaque now stands in that park with our club listed as one of those thanked for their contributions to it's construction. Additionally, we have volunteered to help at several civil war sites undergoing archaeological excavation. Club members have also been featured in the news, both print and video (see the returning of a found class ring in the KC Star). In addition, we have held community outreach programs, set up booths to promote the hobby at Bass Pro Shops, and distributed to area stores that sell metal detectors flyers on proper digging techniques. Currently, the club is involved in a petition campaign to restore detecting rights to Overland Park parks after a "rule" (not ordinance) prohibiting detecting was placed in effect by two individuals in the city government.

In order to give back to our members, in September our club holds their Annual Hunt, open only to members of the club. The cost of participation in the hunt plus all remaining in the treasury go to coins / prizes for that hunt. Thus, the club starts anew with whatever money is raised at the Annual Hunt through 2 voluntary participation raffles. We have a paid night hunt the night before with a campfire cookout, and then the next day the main hunt consists of 2 hunt fields done at different times, and a very large potluck with MWAS supplying the fried chicken. In addition, there is a FREE kids hunt open to ANY and ALL children who wish to participate, not just those in the club. This hunt is entirely supported via donations (toy prizes, coin collecting supplies, coins), and has been a marvelous success. Members loan the children detectors to use for this hunt, and assist the very young.

For further information on our club, please check out our website.

Donations for the Kids Hunt
Any and all donations are accepted. As stated, everything in this hunt is entirely through donations. Old common collectible U.S. coins, foreign coins, modern coins, mint sets, toys, coin collecting materials such as albums, that radio shack detector you have gathering dust in the closet, et cetera., all make nice donations. To aid in this, given many people wishing to donate from these boards are probably not local, there are three ways to donate:

1) Donated items, such as coins, can be mailed to me directly.
2) Items can be purchased online if you wish with delivery to my address to circumvent additional shipping charges.
3) If it's items you'd like to donate, say toys available at the local Wal-Mart or presidential dollars available at the local bank, checks can be mailed and I can purchase your designated items to eliminate shipping. Any checks should be made out to MWAS, of course. Please do specify what specifically you want the money to purchase.

You can contact me via pm if you would like to make any donations and I'll give you the mailing information. Those that choose to make donations, I'll make sure you receive via e-mail our club newsletter in August following the hunt as well as pictures from the Kids Hunt.

Daren
MWAS Treasurer

Comments

• Options
    sumrtymsumrtym Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    TTT

Many thanks to board member Smaugy and his son for their donations:

Coins:
    1) 6 2007-P John Adams dollars in air-tites
    2) 4 Lincoln-Kennedy penny on information card - these donated by Smaugy's son Joshua
    3) 2007-P/2007-D Sacagawea Dollar coins in flip - AU
    4) 1960 Jefferson nickel in flip
    5) 1936-S Lincoln Wheat penny - G4 to VG
    6) 1911 Barber Dime - Good shape
    7) 2007-P/2007-D Kennedy Half Dollars in flips - AU

Currency:
    1) US - 1957-A Silver Certificate - worn, well used
    2) US - 1957-B Silver Certificate - same condition
    3) World - Peru P-13b 60 Intis
    4) World - Sudan Twenty pounds

World Polymer Notes:
    1) Samoa Two Tala (P-32)
    2) Zambia 500 Kwacha

For myself, so far I've added Whitman folders for Mercury dimes and Barber quarters. We also have foreign coins, wheaties, and other coin collecting supplies (unspecified) incoming from club members of which I am aware of so far. Will update as more things accumulate and learn / receive more specifics at next meeting 3rd Sunday of August, always approaching the hunt date of September 28th. Again, thank you for your charitable contributions to this event for the kids.

Daren
    MWAS Treasurer
  • Options
    TTT

40 foreign coins donated this past Sunday by a club member.
  • Options
    TTT

Received 2 mercury dimes, a silver Washington quarter, and 2 steel pennies from forum member zeus135. Thanks again for the donations!

Anyone else interested in making a donation, they need to be received by the 27th of this month. The hunt is on the 28th.

• Options
    Thanks to those that contributed. Hunt was a great success. Additional larger images were e-mailed to those that contributed, but anyone else interested there is a thread on our club forum where people are beginning to post images from yesterday's MWAS sponsored free kids hunt.

MWAS forum thread with pictures of 2008 Kids Hunt