Home Sports Talk
Options

Cubs fan Steve Bartman offered $25K for just one autograph

LOL Hilarious.

"To collect the cash, all Bartman has to do is show up at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill., at 1 p.m. on July 31, prove his identity and sign a photograph of the infamous play. It will then be auctioned on the Web site with the proceeds going to a Chicago-based charity, according to a news release for the publicity stunt event.

"No one in sports memorabilia history has ever been paid $25,000 to sign one autograph — not Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, or any other athlete,” said Mike Berkus, co-Executive Director of The National. "Steve Bartman has been a recluse for years, but we’re hopeful that he will accept our invitation and generous offer to appear ... We have personal security to provide to Steve at The National and to a destination of his choosing.”

Comments

• Options
    Wow. Just wow.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pathetic. Leave the poor bastidge alone.

Alou admitted (then recanted) that he wouldn't have caught it, 7 people besides Bartman reached for it, the lawyer who got the ball made big money, somebody got millions of dollars in free press blowing th e ball up, the shortstop who really blew it (Gonzalez) gets off scott free, as does Mark Prior who completely imploded, and the jackarse who got and released his name to the press should rot in hades for being so incredibly insensitive.

FWIW, I never blamed Bill Buckner either.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pathetic. Leave the poor bastidge alone.

Alou admitted (then recanted) that he wouldn't have caught it, 7 people besides Bartman reached for it, the lawyer who got the ball made big money, somebody got millions of dollars in free press blowing th e ball up, the shortstop who really blew it (Gonzalez) gets off scott free, as does Mark Prior who completely imploded, and the jackarse who got and released his name to the press should rot in hades for being so incredibly insensitive.

FWIW, I never blamed Bill Buckner either. >>

Mike, I really enoyed that rant! That is some deep rooted anger from a long suffering Cubbies fan!

Im sorry but image I cant help it!
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Stop the madness!!!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I actually blamed Gedman for 86.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

. >>

Bingo.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

. >>

Bingo. >>

Actually I think he is got to be happy being a Poor bastidge and getting 25K just for his signature?
  • Options
    supposedly he's been offered a lot more than $25K for him to do other appearances and/or do a book, TV appearance etc.
  • Options
    He needs to take the cash. I mean, it's not like he can be any more hated by Cubs fans, so why not get paid right?

BTW - I think it's a sign of low baseball I.Q. whenever I hear someone blame Bartman for the Cubs losing that game. It's not like he got on the feild and scored all those runs for the Marlins afterwards. That was the Cubbies, the "lovable losers" who did that to themselves.
  • Options
    Not taking the money would be the second biggest mistake of his life.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, I never blamed Bill Buckner either. >>

You were correct on both counts.

Cubs: Dusty Baker is more to blame that anyone else. His team implodes, and he sits on his ass.

86 Red Sox: Calvin Scrialdi is to blame more than anyone else. Who throws an 0-2 pitch right down the pipe to Ray Knight? Moron.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    For those of you still blaming Bartman; you do realize most of the other guys around him were also reaching for that foul ball, right?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mike said it best.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was reported tonight after the Cub game that he has turned down the offer. I'd at least offer to just have them meet me at the gate at the airport and do it for say.... $15k.
    As a lifetime Cub fan, I don't hold any ill will towards him anymore. Just a gut reaction that most of us would have done.

Take the money FOOL!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I actually have a lot of respect for how Bartman's handled it since and that he hasn't cashed in on his infamy.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>image I actually blamed Gedman for 86. >>

I actually blamed myself. I allowed my best friend to convince me we could turn off Game 6 when the game appeared to be in hand so we could watch Rambo on VHS (I was young and stupid -- now I'm just stupid). I didn't know we lost until the next morning.