Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT- holy flippin' slow, USPS

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
On July 15th I sent a Registered Mail envelope to NGC in FL. The flippin' thing hasn't showed up yet. Does anyone else have a problem with slow delivery to FL? My local postal worker said about 75% of their complaints are about delivery to Florida.

This same day I sent a package to CA, not Registered, the person received it, took a look for a couple days, sent it back to me, and I received it yesterday. Roundtrip to CA before a one-way trip to Florida. image

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Registered Mail is abominably slow (think Media Mail speed or slower) because it has to be logged in at each step along the way and it travels under lock and key.

Which is why paying for priority mail when registering is absolute idiocy...
  • Options
    I think registered mail has to be 'signed in' at each arrival point. This slows the delivery time significantly.
  • Options
    Yes, I realize that. It seems Registered Mail takes longer to FL than any other destination in the US, at least from WNY it does.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't pretend to understand registered mailimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is just stuck behind all of those slow moving retired drivers?
  • Options
    For anything of value, Registered Mail is the only way to go.

It might arrive slowly, but that sure beats not arriving at all.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a package mailed from NGC to me here in southern California, leaving Florida on July 11th and it has yet to arrive.

It's just super slow right now.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered mail from a USA address to another can take weeks sometimes. I get lots of registereds from Netherlands, Ukraine, Romania etc. in a matter of days, sometimes as quick as 3 days so go figure.

My slowest ever was from Aberdeen Scotland to my address in the USA, took 8 weeks. I think they must have put it on a packet ship that made stops in Southampton, Cork, Bermuda etc. along the way.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't you like to visit the places that coins do?image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I have visited many of the places my coins come from at one time or another, but Украiна and Moldova, and perhaps Netherlands are the next on my list in a few weeks.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Tues July 22nd I sent a submission to PCGS by insured 1st class mail. It arrived in CA today.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I have a few coins in the mail on trade. Two have been out in the mail for over a week via first class mail and neither has arrived yet image. Is there an affordable alternate available? I think not but I wish there were...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    At least it is secure. If you are in a hurry registered mail is not the way to go. image

I thought that was pretty cool how you sent me a package and less than 6 days later you had it back in your hands. Two trips across the country + play time in 6 days including a weekend.
  • Options
    I just got a Scottish token in the post that was mailed on 16 July, took until 28th July to get here and it was mailed regular first class. OTOH I also got a package in the post yesterday that was mailed Saturday from Houston, and travelled half way across the country. Go figure.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    They must be held up in Customs. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I've also had Registered packages to NGC that took an extra-long time to arrive. -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've also had Registered packages to NGC that took an extra-long time to arrive. -Preussen >>

It would seem that if they are busy they might just wait a week while the post office fills a bin waiting for them to come get it. image
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've also had Registered packages to NGC that took an extra-long time to arrive. -Preussen >>

It would seem that if they are busy they might just wait a week while the post office fills a bin waiting for them to come get it. image >>

I believe the PO's online tracking would indicate "attempted delivery" in that case. NGC is pretty quick to pick 'em up & log 'em in, in my limited experience. I once had a submission picked up at the PO and logged in at NGC on Columbus Day...I wouldn't have thought the PO was even open image . -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions