Home Sports Talk
Options

Bob Costas is very good but he did have a great Gaff I still laugh at. It was.............

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
..........a lockeroom interview after the Chicago Bulls and MJ won their first NBA title in 1991. Costas was in the lockeroom getting doused with bubbly along with the Bulls players and other persons in the lockeroom.

Costas is next to Jordan and he sticks his microphone into the face of a woman standing next to MJ. Costas asks the woman something to the effect of "how do you feel now that your son Michael has finally won his first NBA championship?". In response the woman looks at the camera and Costas with an angry scowl on her face and says in a loud, strong voice......... "I AM HIS WIFE."

Costas was dumbfounded, speachless and simply unable to recover from his Gaff in mistaking MJ's wife for his mother.

I still laugh at this today and keep forever in my mind that even the best of the best at what they do can blow things and make horrible mistakes in the bright light of day with the world watching. A good way to keep me on my toes.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    WOW thats great!

MANLAW: When guessing a woman's age you MUST say at least 4-5 years lower than you actually think.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    that's classic...wish it was on you tube, but I couldn't find it
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that the video footage of Costas's Gaff with MJ's wife was very quickly buried by the network (with Costas probably demanding that it be buried faster,..........faster) in order to increase the chances that the Gaff would be forgotten by the public, never to be recalled again.

I also suspect that the video footage still exists and that one day it will surface, perhaps on a Celebrity Goofs and Blunder's TV show, much to the chagrin of Mr. Costas (whom I perceive has a high opinion of himself and a large ego to go with it).
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gender Relations 101:

NEVER, EVER mistake a man's wife for his mother!!!!!image

Steve