Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Poor Britannias - ouch! That's gotta hurt!

This photo from a German seller pains me.

Anyone got a 2007 silver britannia with a shot at PCGS/NGC MS69?

Comments

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the British aren't much better! Pity - that one was a fairly nice coin. image

• Options
    More from the same seller! Buy this guy some gloves! He's ruining pretty coins!

Oh, the humanity!!!

• Options
    IT'S CRIMINAL, I TELL YA!

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    good enough for afis!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pah! Mere fingerprints?

I thought this thread was about injured Britannias.

Mine's a little injured, and brought two of her crippled silver cousins along. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love eBay. Source material for my upcoming "Chapter 3 of eBay Photography Fundamentals" - coin handling subchapter.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if the finger grease is an additional charge?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    oh the horror.........
  • Options
    Wow - this one must have taken work...
    (I don't know why crappy damaged britannias interest me so much - but they do.)

• Options

<< <i>Wow - this one must have taken work...
    (I don't know why crappy damaged britannias interest me so much - but they do.)

image >>

Looks like it was part of a "Pocket Coin for a Day" project, or he let one the young'ns take it to school for show and tell.
    YIKES!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once made the mistake of rubber banding some Britannias in 2x2s. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Out of curosity is there anyway to remove finger prints?
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options

<< <i>Out of curosity is there anyway to remove finger prints? >>

I was just now planning to ask the same question, but since you already did so, I will add to your question.

If the fingerprint oils have not already reacted with the metal, would an acetone dip followed by a pure alcohol wash remove the prints?

And if the oils have reacted with the metal, in this case the silver, what would be a visual indicator?
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    Pure acetone will remove the oil and evaporate completely. So not sure what purpose the alcohol serves. If it was a sweaty palm there'll be ammonia from urea present in the print, however, and ammonia turns silver a dark gray or even black.
  • Options
    I presumed the acetone would loosen the oil, but being dipped, contaminates wouldn't necessarily be completely removed from the coin; hence the alcohol 'wash'.

My presumption could easily be wrong.

I am much less likely to use acetone to rinse a coin, as it is toxic enough already to breathe the fumes, so I dip in acetone in a covered glass container overnight, then I remove the coin and use 100% alcohol to rinse the coin afterwards. If I use 70% or 90% alcohol, (as sold in grocery stores), it leaves a powdery residue, but pure alcohol completely evaporates just as acetone does, and hopefully the use of it in a rinsing fashion takes away any other residue that the acetone dip has "loosened", but perhaps still remains.

Maybe the alcohol rinse is not necessary, but I'd like to be certain, and I don't want to use acetone as a rinse.