Home Sports Talk
Options

Ann Arbor mentioned for EPSN's Titletown?

Obviously espn has to come up with stuff like this for the dog days of sports. (mid-July....worst part of the year!) and it's kind of interesting.........

But Ann Arbor? Yes, I'm from East Lansing, but give me a break!! They have one NCAA basketball championship and one shared football championship in the last few dozen decades.

Since when does thinking you're great get you nominated?

For what it's worth, I think Los Angeles gets my vote (UCLA hoops, Lakers, USC football....)

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

But Ann Arbor? Yes, I'm from East Lansing, but give me a break!! They have one and shared football championship in the last few dozen decades.

>>

Yeah, they squeaked one out against a Ryan Leaf Washington State club 17-13 I think, while Nebraska crushed Jamal Lewis and
    Peyton Manning 42-17. Just be thankful Ann Arbor that you guys didn't get the chance to get blasted by the Cornhuskers that year.

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    I saw that as well and thought it was rather lame. They have had some great sports teams over the years but the "title" thing just
    hasen't been in the equation that much.
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

image Good question.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Don't you people know that sports revolve around ESPN.

So if they say something, accept it to be unquestionable gospel.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

image Good question. >>

Unofficial part of their fight song:

"our school is Michigan and you're from somewhere else....." image
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Obviously espn has to come up with stuff like this for the dog days of sports. (mid-July....worst part of the year!) and it's kind of interesting.........

But Ann Arbor? Yes, I'm from East Lansing, but give me a break!! They have one NCAA basketball championship and one shared football championship in the last few dozen decades.

For what it's worth, I think Los Angeles gets my vote (UCLA hoops, Lakers, USC football....) >>

Does it say "National" Titletown or just titletown? Michigan has had plenty of conference titles during the last "few dozen decades". And don't forget, they won 2 National Championships in hockey over the last 12 years too.

Oh, and State sucks image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Tittytown thing is ESPN's worst dog day activity yet -- what a waste of time. Lawrence, KS? Gimmie a friggin break.

Another season of "Tilt" would have been better.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised that my hometown (Massillon, Ohio) made the list. They taped this evening (Monday evening) at the high school football stadium, and drew over 4000 people into the heat and 15 minute thunder storm right before taping was supposed to begin. I agree, it's kind of a stupid time-waster if you ask me, but it sure pumped up this town! Massillon's air date is this Wednesday.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    "Titletown" is probabaly the lamest shtick ESPN has ever done. I can't believe it is dragging out all summer. Any town that has to claim high school championships, WNBA championships, or the home of some snowboarding champion, isn't even on the sports map, let alone being called Titletown....let's just narrow the choices to Boston and.....well, Boston..and call it a day....

the only thing that could salvage this promo is if Erin Andrews were on the road going these towns.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the only thing that could salvage this promo is if Erin Andrews were topless on the road going these towns. >>

• Options
    Didn't ESPN has some lame contest last year about this time of year over which sports person was "coolest"? or something like that.

• Options
    nflhofnflhof Posts: 189 ✭✭
    Tittletown is totally lame. I have been refusing to watch any of that garbage.
  • Options

<< <i> Didn't ESPN has some lame contest last year about this time of year over which sports person was "coolest"? or something like that. >>

yep and that should take the cake for lamest, except for maybe Hank Aaron's 715th being the most important HR of all time.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<<Didn't ESPN has some lame contest last year about this time of year over which sports person was "coolest"? or something like that.>>>>

I forgot about that...I think it was called "who's NOW".....equally boring and insignifcant.
  • Options
    basically there are about 9 or 10 real choices, but that would make for a really short series lol.
  • Options
    rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    My hometown won!! Take that Boston and New York!

Carry on.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Yeah, they squeaked one out against a Ryan Leaf Washington State club 17-13 I think, while Nebraska crushed Jamal Lewis and
    Peyton Manning 42-17. Just be thankful Ann Arbor that you guys didn't get the chance to get blasted by the Cornhuskers that year. >>

Michigan can not claim a piece of that title until the Rose Bowl is complete. The officials ran the clock out when it clearly should have been stopped. Leaf still has one more play. I assume at this point that the game will never be finished.