Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1970 Topps Supers ... advice?

Looking for information on these cards. Thinking about starting a baseball and football set in PSA9. What should I know?
Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.

Comments

• Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    If you buy them raw, there is a frequent problem regarding the wrinkles on the paper around the perimeter of the backside of the card. Even if the front is perfect, these wrinkles will knock it down to a 7 or 6 so I'm told.
  • Options
    The supers football are easy to find... both graded and raw! I have built three psa 8/9 sets of football in the past 3 years. The last one took 2 months to complete. The paper wrinkles on the backs and wax seem to be the two biggest problems. The wax issue can easily be dealt with.. Those darn wrinkles on the back edges( probably from poor cutting methods at the plant) make many cards that look psa 9/10 on the front all of a sudden turn into 5's, 6's, and 7's. There are some toughies to find in psa 9 (Alworth, Kelly, Webster, and other short prints from 29-35 in the set) but they can be found.. Best of luck!
    Paul
  • Options
    TheDudeAbidesTheDudeAbides Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Ditto to the prior replies. As for the baseball set. The centering on the reverse (Tilts, side to side, top to bottom) appears to have little influence on the grade. Print lines on front do not seem to have much impact, though dark print lines may bring the card down a grade. Be on the lookout for roller marks, and wax stains. Wax is easy to remove. Any crease will downgrade to a 6 or lower.

Great player selection. Don't see them too often on eBay anymore. Good luck building the set(s). Undervalued, in my humble opinion.

You can check out my set, complete with scans, under Mark's 70 Supers. The scan for card #23 crossed over from my regular 70 Topps set, but the other pics should match up.
    Collecting 64, 66, 67, 70 & 71 Baseball. Cubs, wax, cello & rack baseball.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    The previous posts have the sets covered. I would recommend starting both sets. I have and they're fun to build/collect. Some of the Baseball SP's are tough in high grade. Especially in PSA 9's or higher. The Football SP's are somewhat tough, but they do show up for sale on a regular basis on ebay.

One thing about wax stains, since these cards were issued 3 supers for a dime, usually one out of every three cards has a wax stain. If the stain is on the front, they're easily cleaned off. But stains on the back are more difficult. PSA will give out 'ST' qualifiers for back stains even if you wipe them off. If they see any residue of a stain, you get the stain qualifier. It's happened to me on a few subs, I can attest to that.

Rich
  • Options
    any unopened material around?
    70-71 Kelloggs Baseball and Football
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I have never seen any unopened Baseball super packs but I'm sure they exist. You see wrappers for sale a lot.

About a year ago after a buying trip, Steve Hart had a Football Supers wax box on his web-site for $3000. It sold within a couple of days. With 24 packs in the box, that works out to $125/per pack. I have seen some packs sell for much cheaper on ebay in the past. Both graded packs and raw packs show up for sale now and then.
    With only 35 cards in the Football set and three cards per pack, the odds are pretty good at getting a HOF'er in a pack.

I picked up a FB Super Pack with Bart Starr on the back for $50+shipping on ebay awhile ago. When I received the pack, I discovered Starr was on both the front and back of the pack! A true rarity considering the pack only holds three cards. I don't think the seller even knew Starr was on the other side too, because he didn't mention it in his description. Unless you're familar with how the cards look in the set, you might not know who the face card is.

Lucky buy by me.
  • Options
    My advice is to buy the graded stuff on ebay and skip the raw cards you see! Seems like most of the raw stuff out there has nicks, marks, or wrinkles on the back. Let someone else do all searching and then buy them cheap on ebay. I see there are two 9's of football on ebay right now (together) with a starting bid of $25.. No bids yet! A guy can usually pick up most common 9's for around $20-25 which is cheap considering these cards are 38 years old.. Good luck
    Paul
  • Options
    Update.... saw some unopened material at the national. 100 to 140 per pack. i think there are three cards in a pack.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    Right on! Three cards per pack with the back card having wax on it.. that is easy to remove... PM if you want the secret formula for removing wax!! Lot's of stars in this set plus you can easily tell who is on the front and back of each pack... Good luck with your hunt!
    Paul
  • Options
    With the centering problems that occur so often with this set, i am still not convinced it is worth buying if I can going to open it.
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't buy packs unless I was going to keep the packs sealed forever and sell later for a profit! $100-$140 for three raw cards that might have flaws is a little too risky for me. There are plenty of nice raw/graded cards at prices way lower than pack prices!
    Paul
  • Options
    Galveston,
    PM your way.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.