Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't these silver? Sure was pocket carried.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know they made quarters out of bronzeimage

Steve
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Did you win it? I don't have a clue as to what it is or why/how or any of the important questions.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you win it? I don't have a clue as to what it is or why/how or any of the important questions. >>

Yes, I did win it. To tell you the truth I don't have any answers either other than the seller states
    it is copper and it looks copper to me in the images.

Stefanie
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting....

I'd be curious to what it weighs and the diameter.
  • Options
    LmmanLmman Posts: 156 ✭✭
    Copper or not I love it
    Donavan
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it looks porus or has a dug up n cleaned look about it...see the lil pitting all over it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    My guess is a copper test strike. Probably in quite limiting quantities.

To me it seems that this is a solely copper coin by the way the planchet is detereorating.
    The planchet quality almost has the look of a slightly better CWT.

It will be interesting to see what you find out when you receive t.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    There are counterfeits out there and it may be a test strike for a counterfeiter.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the die was used long enough to develop a crack image
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is a copper test strike. Probably in quite limiting quantities. To me it seems that this is a solely copper coin by the way the planchet is detereorating. The planchet quality almost has the look of a slightly better CWT. It will be interesting to see what you find out when you receive t. >>

I doubt this, though have no expertise in this area. Just by looking at the dentils on the obverse from say 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock, they are not crisp and look like the die was not in very good condition. In general, the dentils are not extremely crisp like I would expect, even with the porous condition seen all over the coin.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My guess is a copper test strike. Probably in quite limiting quantities. To me it seems that this is a solely copper coin by the way the planchet is detereorating. The planchet quality almost has the look of a slightly better CWT. It will be interesting to see what you find out when you receive t. >>

I doubt this, though have no expertise in this area. Just by looking at the dentils on the obverse from say 12 o'clock to 4 o'clock, they are not crisp and look like the die was not in very good condition. In general, the dentils are not extremely crisp like I would expect, even with the porous condition seen all over the coin. >>

What do you suppose it is then tmot99?

Regardless, it's very cool Stefanie. image

I'll be interested in hearing more about it when you get it in hand...maybe send it off to one of the TPGs.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I'm not expert either but I don't see anything on the coin that makes me think there wasn't at least either a Izzy die or an actual Izzy used to make an after-mint die which was used to make the coin. The die crack makes it all the more interesting...

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool if authentic.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like a die crack to me...
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    Again, I really have no clue what it is and I am not an expert in patterns, trial strikes, or counterfeits. It could be any of the three and probably a whole host of other choices. I just don't think that it is a trial piece from a brand new die.

Edited to add that the pimple on the chin is also interesting and leads to the question of die state. I also do not think that is a die crack. Looks more like a planchet flaw.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    the porosity and cast looks of "of america" doesn't concern anyone here???
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>the porosity and cast looks of "of america" doesn't concern anyone here??? >>

Yeah, same area where I am questioning the dentils.
  • Options
    Electrotype perhaps?
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did win it. To tell you the truth I don't have any answers either other than the seller states

I knew you would outbid me!

Actually, as you told me you were going to bid on it I abstained...

Definitely let us know more when you get it in! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks kool tho... Thanks for sharing...
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I think you're cornering the offbeat copper market. Very cool. My guess is that it is an electrotype test piece. Most of the flaws are in the planchet. --jerry
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    I agree with electrotype. Reverse DIE CRACKS on bottom are normal for the issue. Obverse PLANCHET cracks are a giveaway. These PLANCHET cracks never occured on any real Isabellas. Planchet cracks on obverse at "OF AMERICA" are suspect. In addition, the metal bleeds from the obverse denticles into the legend. The denticles are soft, which is extremely rare on an Isabella since the striking qualities were superb for this issue.

TRUTH
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I really don't have a clue... If it has some silver plating on it maybe it was a fake.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess that this is a cast in copper. However, there's some chance that it's a real dies trial. If it is, it's a discovery piece and a major score. I'd like to see it in person.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few images of authentic pieces that may be of interest:

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, after all these years have passed and with better understanding of electrotypes it appears
    that members intocoins and truthteller were correct as I think it is an electrotype as well. It has all the hall markings of one.

Since July 20th 2008 I have never seen another Isabella electrotype hit the market........has anyone else seen one appear?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you could compare the reed spacing, size, count etc to the image i posted in this thread.

also you could drag n drop the image to your desktop to blow the image up to make it easier to count the reeds and/or study them.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file