Home Sports Talk
Options

Can You Get Beaned Anywhere Other Than The Head?

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
On the front page of ESPN's baseball page, there's a headline saying"ChiSox slugger Dye leaves game after beaning." You click on it and the story says that Dye left the game after "getting hit in the right knee by a pitch." Now, for me, I've always associated "beaning" with getting hit in the head. In other words, a pitcher cannot "bean" a player in the leg, the hip, the back, etc. If a pitcher beans a batter, then he pit him in the head? Anyone else concur? Or am I on an island on this one?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WinPitcher can answer this one - he's been hit on the head with a baseball a number of times.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I hear the word "Beaned" Im definately thinking it was a head shot and nasty.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I associate "beaning" by a baseball with getting stuck in the head with the pitch. I guess if stretching the definition, it would be ok to use the term "got beaned" if someone were hit in the beans (as in "franks and beans"), but not the knee.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I thought beaning was being hit on purpose, not accidentally, on any part of the body.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with MKG. I believe it has to be intentional but not necessarily in the head.
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I"ve always associated the term "beaning" with being hit in the head only.

Steve
  • Options
    I've never really associated a specific location to the term "beaning."
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    beaning is specific to the head.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Who are you to question the worldwide leader in sports? haha
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    From Websters Online Dictionary

beaning
    One entry found.

bean[2,transitive verb]
    Main Entry: 2bean
    Function: transitive verb
    Date: 1910
    : to strike (a person) on the head with an object
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I think of beaning as intentially hitting (or trying to hit) someone in the head.
    Anywhere else it is generically "plunking" the hitter
    If it's up and in with no bodily contact it's chin music.
    If it's head level, but behind the batter it's "buzzing" the batter.
    If they square to bunt and the pitcher comes inside and it goes between their legs it's "Bucknering" them. (okay I just made that one up)
    If they get hit in the feet it's "makin' 'em dance"
    If they get plunked in the butt it's just "payback"

Anyone else have different terminology?
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    With some dissents, it looks like the majority would agree that Jermaine Dye did not get beaned in the knee. As always, thanks much.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i was always under the thinking that a beaning was any intentional hitting of the batter, no matter where it hits them.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started