Home Sports Talk
Options

How to make soccer more exciting....

OKLAHOMA CITY – An American Airlines flight from Boston to Los Angeles was diverted to Oklahoma City on Friday after a passenger stripped nude and later tried to open an emergency exit door before being subdued by members of a professional soccer team and others, the FBI said.

Members of the New England Revolution of Major League Soccer were among those who grabbed the passenger near an exit door, FBI spokesman Gary Johnson said. Tie wraps were placed on the man, whose name was not immediately released. He was taken into custody in Oklahoma City and placed under psychiatric evaluation, Johnson said.

American Flight 725, a Boeing 757, arrived in Oklahoma City at 1:35 p.m. CDT and was back in the air an hour later, said American Airlines spokesman Tim Smith. It landed without further incident at Los Angeles International Airport at 3:13 p.m. PDT.

Craig Tornberg, the soccer team’s general manager, said he confronted the man as soon as he saw him emerge naked from one of the plane’s restrooms.

“I said he should get back into the bathroom and put on his clothes,” Tornberg said after the plane landed in Los Angeles. “He said something strange to me. He said, ‘I don’t hear you. I don’t see you.’ ”

Tornberg said the man complied and got dressed but a few minutes later “made a beeline for the emergency door.”

Tornberg said he, assistant coach Gwynne Williams and Michael Burns, the team’s vice president for player personnel, grabbed the man and forced him into a seat while a flight attendant tied him up.

“It was strange, but when he put his hands on the exit door – that brought it to another level,” Burns said. “Clearly, he wasn’t thinking straight.”

The pilot diverted the flight to Will Rogers World Airport where the man was removed.

“He was taken into custody by the Oklahoma City Police Department and taken to a crisis center for a mental evaluation,” Johnson said.

Shortly before the incident, Tornberg said he saw the man, described as clean-cut and in his early 20s, crying and “talking a lot of gibberish.”

The soccer team was on its way to Southern California for a game on Sunday against Chivas USA at California State University, Fullerton. Its members were among 151 passengers and seven crew members on the flight.

As passengers left the plane in Los Angeles, several indicated they had taken the incident in stride.

Gillian Callaghan, who was traveling with her 12-year-old son, said she never panicked because the flight crew seemed to keep things well under control. She said she felt sorry for the man.

“He was just having some troubles, confused, not a scary guy,” she said.

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an impossibility!

Shane

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    There is no way to make the sporting equivalent of watching grass grow exciting. image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know soccer has scores of followers but the sport bores me to tears. Always has, always will.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    The day USA wins a Soccer Cup, it will be a big thing!

We only care if we are the story - when the ladies soccer team won the womens cup, soccer boomed.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". - Gandhi
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Allow Soccer moms to kick the ball when it nears the sidelines and shout in a 10 yr olds face " IN YOUR FACE'!!

Then buy everyone an Ice cream cone at DD Yay!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    "We only care if we are the story - when the ladies soccer team won the womens cup, soccer boomed."

For only a short time and now its just a footnote, no real foundation of interest.

Someone had the bright idea that having the World Cup in the US would finally establish soccer as a mainstream interest sport. - another
    bust.

Freddie Ado? yet another soccer phenom that was supposed to be the big breakthrough - no deal yet again. I think he is no longer
    in the US but playing for a European team.

And most recently we had that Becker guy - anyone think he is setting the sports world on fire in the US? image
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    Correction - Beckham not Becker (Ted Danson doesn't play soccer) image
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    snipers
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    I've never been able to get into soccer. I have watched it a few times and I have some relatives that watch it, but I guess I just don't get it.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I was into last years USA v Italy game until the hairy Italians started going down like school girls. USA dudes would brush against them and they would
    fall down screaming..only saved by that magic spray stuff. The world cup featured two teams that perfected the fall....why would anyone want to
    watch that?

Kevin

ps...snipers might work!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was into last years USA v Italy game until the hairy Italians started going down like school girls. USA dudes would brush against them and they would
    fall down screaming..only saved by that magic spray stuff. The world cup featured two teams that perfected the fall....why would anyone want to
    watch that?

Kevin

ps...snipers might work! >>

reminds me of watching the NBA!
  • Options
    The USA has owned womans soccer for years now. Yes, we lost to Brazil in the last world cup, but our domination in womans
    soccer has been for many years now. It's a great accomplishment and a tribute to our societies advancement of womans programs
    and opportunities. Is there any money in it ? No, there isn't. But many girls in the United States have had college tuitions paid
    for due to their soccer ability, and many high school girls have learned valueable lessons that sports bring. I also believe that soccer
    is the most played sport by today's youth. I think more then baseball. Girls soccer is the most played girls sport in the USA.
    So soccer has certainly caught on in the United States, but just not at a professional level.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion you make soccer exiting to watch by going to a "munchkin" soccer game. Nothing like the 4 and 5 year olds running up the field having a great time. I'm not a soccer fan at all but did enjoy watching my son and daughter at that age.

Can't see the enjoyment of soccer. And I know this will open up a can of worms, but I don't enjoy watching golf or Nascar racing either....seems too boring..maybe in person it's more exciting.
  • Options
    "Can't see the enjoyment of soccer. And I know this will open up a can of worms, but I don't enjoy watching golf or Nascar racing "

ditto.

i do appreciate the skill it takes for a golfer to make tremendous shots and the drama of a 2 man playoff makes for decent TV.

All the faked injuries in soccer really demean the game. Sure LOTS of kids play soccer in the USA, seems like everyone has their kids play soccer (to run around and get exercise) It truly is boring to watch, teams play for no scoring, zzzz then the game is decided on penalty kicks? It's like having a baseball game decided by a home run contest at the end of 9 innings.
  • Options

<< <i> Sure LOTS of kids play soccer in the USA, seems like everyone has their kids play soccer (to run around and get exercise) It truly is boring to watch, teams play for no scoring, zzzz then the game is decided on penalty kicks? . >>

Teams actually play to score, but like chess, it is hard to capture the queen against a good opponent. Soccer is like a chess match,
    and the beauty is watching a team trying to break down a great defense. I guess if you don't like chess, then you won't like soccer.

90% of your games are decided in regulation. Only a few games are decided on penalty kicks.
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minimize the field to the size of a basketball court and add hot, naked cheerleaders and I'll be there.... at least to watch the cheerleaders!
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com