Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Texas Coin and Currency Set - Someone needs to revisit this (Photo Beware Dialupers)

I just got my TCCS today and somebody asked me if the coins looked Satin or Matte. After studying I declared Satin.

Then I saw an old post which was brought back up today regarding the finish so I took yet another look at the coins. I can't articulate this with photos but I'm convinced the coins are not just standard uncirculated coins. These coins are identical in appearance and texture (if that's even a good term to use) especially in the fields to mint uncirculated satin finish coins from uncirculated coin sets. They do not look like regular business strikes to me.

I realize this photo is far from conclusive evidence and the right thing to do would be to get a Texas 2004 circulated coin and photograph it under the same EXACT conditions, compare minute details of the coin, blah, blah, blah. I don't have the time or inclination.

I'm no professional coin collector by a long shot but I say this deserves another look. These coins sure look like satin finish coins to me and not like comparable regular Texas business strike coins to me, although I will confess to not having what I would consider to be a pristine (or as pristine as I would like) example.

This subject is not dead or closed in my mind.

John

Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't go so far as to call them pristine but they look high quality to me.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got my TCCS today and somebody asked me if the coins looked Satin or Matte. After studying I declared Satin.

Then I saw an old post which was brought back up today regarding the finish so I took yet another look at the coins. I can't articulate this with photos but I'm convinced the coins are not just standard uncirculated coins. These coins are identical in appearance and texture (if that's even a good term to use) especially in the fields to mint uncirculated satin finish coins from uncirculated coin sets. They do not look like regular business strikes to me.

I realize this photo is far from conclusive evidence and the right thing to do would be to get a Texas 2004 circulated coin and photograph it under the same EXACT conditions, compare minute details of the coin, blah, blah, blah. I don't have the time or inclination.

I'm no professional coin collector by a long shot but I say this deserves another look. These coins sure look like satin finish coins to me and not like comparable regular Texas business strike coins to me

This subject is not dead or closed in my mind.

John
    >>

imageimageimage What I've been saying all along in most of the threads you've mentioned!!! Perhaps a FOIA request is in order, but I understand those are pretty costly.
  • Options
    JapanJohnJapanJohn Posts: 2,030
    What's an FOIA?
    Coin Photos

• Options
    Freedom of Information Act
  • Options

<< <i>I realize this photo is far from conclusive evidence and the right thing to do would be to get a Texas 2004 circulated coin and photograph it under the same EXACT conditions, compare minute details of the coin, blah, blah, blah. I don't have the time or inclination.
    John >>

John, Just imagine the value of them!!!image
  • Options
    JapanJohnJapanJohn Posts: 2,030
    I am more than willing to do an FOIA request to the US Mint. After perusing their FOIA handbook on their website it look like a single letter written to the disclosure officer will suffice. It's possible that it could cost $25 and reproduction costs for copying.

I'll be glad to pony up the costs on this. However I'd like anybody interested to shoot me an email at My Email Address and make sure I'm asking for the right thing. It's obvious that some of you possess a great deal more knowledge on this subject than me, Mr. Johnny Come Yesterday.

And I'm a government Manager / Bureaucrat type. I know how to play the game a little.

John
    Coin Photos

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I have six of the sets. Still debatable whether they are Satin Finish. PCGS says no but they are going by what the mint is saying that no experimental satin finishes were made in 04.
  • Options

<< <i>Still debatable whether they are Satin Finish. PCGS says no but they are going by what the mint is saying that no experimental satin finishes were made in 04. >>

Exactly... and only until the mint fesses up will it ever be known. John, I'll help out! Do an advanced search with FOIA in the title here. Lope has provided a great example of the letter we'll need to submit.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    So what ever happened with FOIA? Do you think the Mint would release this information.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Until Ron Guth gets confirmation that these were indeed struck special for the set, the isssue is dead, I tried and tried.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file