Home Sports Talk
Options

Which active player from your team is underated?

metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
My pick is the Reds second baseman, Brandon Phillips who along with Alfonso S. are the only 2 second basemen to go 30/30. He was also a strong candidate for a gold glove last year. Who from your team is underrated and why? Mike
USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.

Comments

• Options
    If it hadn't been for the Mets and Rays streaks ending last night and Sportscenter making a big deal out of all the streaks stopped yesterday, many people would not have even noticed that Ian Kinsler had a 25 game hit streak. The guy gets very little love from the media. My guess would be because of his hot and cold streaks. After a hit in 25 straight games, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get a hit again until August.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yadier Molina - without question. The man throws out 50% of base stealers. He picks off more people at fist base than most catchers throw out base thieves in a season (maybe an exaggeration, but you get the point). He rarely lets a pass ball or a wild pitch go by. Now, on top of his stellar defense, he is batting .310 and is the hardest batter to strike out in the majors (that is not an exaggeration, but a fact). All of that, and he has never won a gold glove or been on an All Star team. I think he should have won a gold glove last year and been an All Star this year. Mark it down, his day is coming.

Cardinals fans know exactly what I am talking about. I think he is not only the most underrated player on the Cardinals, but I think he is the most underrated in MLB.

Shane

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim Wakefield. Mr. Dependable.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Brian Roberts.
    Caron Butler.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    None they all suck right now
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Placido Polanco.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dustin Pedroia- the little guy
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Mikey Lowell, a "throw in" in the Josh Beckett deal
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Pat Burrell would be the clean up hitter on most teams!

JS
  • Options

Yunel Escobar- Not sure there are too many people on the Braves that are "underrated" that I can think of, but Yunel has to come close.

Dioner Navarro- Having a great year that earned him an All Star spot, but I can guarantee that once rosters were announced people went, WHO?
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Placido Palanco.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I would say one of them right now based on his record would be Chad Billingsley of the Dodgers. With a record of 9 - 9 and an ERA of 3.32 he he could easily have 12 or 13 wins right now if he had any run support. Another underated Dodger is Andruw Jones, oh wait he really is that bad right now. lol
  • Options
    Probably Kevin Youkilis. At 3 million a year you get a .316 hitter with 17 home runs and an OBP of almost .400
    You also get the best fielding first baseman in the AL, who is also a top notch fielding 3rd baseman, and when asked to
    plays a very good left field. He has a great command of the strike zone, and makes pitchers work each at bat.
    Has a great attitude about winning. Just ask fans of other teams, and they'll say they hate Youk.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Erik Aybar Angels SS

First full year and the guy can flat out play SS. Cannon of an arm and pop to the alleys. Its easy to see why the angels let Caberra go.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Uggla from the Marlins. People say he's a bad fielder. I disagree completely- he's much worse than that.
    Mickey71image
  • Options
    The Doc, Roy Halladay, without question. There was an All-star post a few weeks ago and I believe only ONE guy put him on the AL staff (top 4 or so), which is a joke. He averages somewhere around 8 innings per start, his ERA is below 3.00, plays on a team that has NO offense and already has 11 wins (should easily have 15). I think Halladay, since the decade began, is one of the top 3 pitchers in baseball and you NEVER hear about him!
    Jay
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I was going to add my thoughts, but half the Red Sox starting lineup has already been mentioned.

So I'll add someone for a team I don't root for. I think Luke Scott of the Baltimore Orioles is quietly putting together a pretty good season. If he gets 500 ABs this year, he should end up with more than 30 HRs.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    For the Chisox you'd have to mention Alexei Ramirez, he appears to be the real deal.

Batting
    Last 3 years Team G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    2008 CWS 73 243 32 75 13 1 7 30 8 32 7 4 .309 .329 .457 .786
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Joakim Soria. The "Mexicutioner" has been lights out all year. If KC happens to have a lead in the ninth it's nice to know that the win is in the bag.

It was never more apparent how underrated he was than at the All-Star game when that dipstick Joe Buck obviously had no idea who Soria was when he was pitching, so instead had to give out info about the batters he was mowing down.
    Travis