Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Edward VI Shilling

I just got this one in the mail this week, in a PCGS40 holder, unfiortunately dipped in the recent past, but still good enough for me. I'm getting close to finishing the type set, still looking for an affordable Elizabeth, Charles II and James II.

Comments

• Options
    PCGS slabs these?

Nice one BTW, I'm really starting to dig these!image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I think these later Edward VI Shillings are my favorite coins from the Tudor era.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once owned a Bob from this reign, a right spiff specimen twa, but alas I parted with it whence the ankle biters made an appear.

The EVI coins mark a return to fine ie Sterling or .925 standard, though Thomas Gresham would later remark "Bad money drives out good" during the reign of EI, and she would get much of the credit.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer little Eddie in profile.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I like that earlier Edw. VI also harasha, but I haven't seen a decent one come up lately.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be prepared to spend some $$$ on a high end James II shilling... good luck in the hunt

edited to add:

Are you looking for a hammered Charles II Shilling?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Coinkat, I need one of each of the Ch. II (hammered and milled). Feel free to PM me if you have something or know where one might be located. They need to be decent enough to grade at NGC, preferably Choice VF or better.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

‭‭I discuss a Gold Sovereign of Edward VI and some aspects of his reign in my recent article on a Gold Sovereign of Mary I, Edward’s half-sister. I hope that, even those collectors who cannot afford gold coins from the 1500s enjoy the historical commentary in some of my articles.

Rare English Gold Sovereign of Queen Mary I

Amazing English Gold Sovereign of Henry VIII
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! (Insert envy here)

I once considered a Reformation era collection (Edward VI, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, etc.), but it looked like too much of a challenge for me. I'll stick to my George V set for now.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Harasha,

I prefer the Edward VI in profile as well. In the portrait of him facing forward, he looks like Elizabeth, IMHO.

I like the hammered shillings I have seen posted on here recently. I also typically like hammered coinage as I am discovering in the last month or so. But I have noticed a TREMENDOUS price jump between pennies and shillings. It looks like I will be sticking to pennies with my daughter because shillings and even pennies of the more popular rulers look really out of reach.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice addition enjoy it!

The nicer the costlier ..ouch.