Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Krause Help

Could someone help me out with a bit of info from the Krause?

Searched online and couldn't find most of the information I'm looking for.

Interested in the German Half Mark coin. I've confirmed the following dates, are there any other dates it was made?

Confirmed: 1905, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19

Also have confirmed coins from the A, F, D, J & E mints...any I'm missing? (A is Berlin, what are the others?)

Last, does the book list the diameter of the coin and the silver content?

Thanks for your help guys.

Comments

• Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    That's all the dates listed in the new SCWC. Mint marks, besides A = Berlin, are D = Munich, E = Muldenhutten, F = Stuttgart, G = Karlsruhe and J = Hamburg.
  • Options
    .0803 of an ounce of silver, 19 millimeters.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. 90% alloy?
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the relative value of the silver half mark was back when it was being issued? I mean, what could a German go to the store and walk away with after only paying one half mark coin? A soda? A candy bar? A loaf of bread? etc...

This coin is 90% silver or a different percentage?
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin is 90% silver or a different percentage? >>

Yes. .900 fine silver.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know what the relative value of the silver half mark was back when it was being issued? I mean, what could a German go to the store and walk away with after only paying one half mark coin? A soda? A candy bar? A loaf of bread? etc... >>

First off, the official pre-WWI exchange rate was 4.198 marks to a US dollar, making a mark worth just under a quarter. A half-mark would therefore be worth a bit over a dime. These figures are supported by comparing the silver content, with a half mark containing slightly more silver than a dime. Prior to WWI, international exchange rates were very much determined by precious metal content of the coinage in the two systems.

I don't think they had "sodas" or "candy bars" in pre-WWI Germany, but half a mark would apparently buy you two loaves of bread.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Here's a link I use for checking dates/mintmarks and approximate values when it is just to difficult to drag myself away and to the back room to get my Kraus image

http://www.sammler.com/muenzdb/index.html

If you select the era from the pictures on the left, then the coin type, it will list the dates/mints produced and approximate values. The values, like anything, aren't too good but gives a good idea which ones are rare and which are key dates.

Andrew
    Still thinking of what to put in my signature...
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    It looks like you have the correct info now. A minting of 14 years and 6 mints to choose from. I am looking for a PCGS graded coin or two to trade and have a PCGS 1905-A proof 64 dcam 1/2 mark to trade for a PCGS regular issue 1/2 mark or one mark in MS-65 or better with an equal value. Does anyone have anything to trade? PM me if interested... I have decided to eliminate proof issues in my collection in order to concentrate on business strikes of my collecting interests...

Thanks,
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...