Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Have you ever seen one of these?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half Star Pagoda
Metal - Silver
19th Century AD

Obverse.

These star Pagodas issued from the Madras Mint continued to be the standard coin of the East India Company in the south until it was abolished in 1816 AD and the Silver Rupee was made the standard coin.

Figure of Vishnu is surrounded by dots and a star is depicted in obverse side of the coin. The denomination of coin "Half Pagoda" is inscribed here both in Tamil and Telugu scripts.
19th Century AD

Reverse.

This coin has on one side the temple gopuram (tower) surrounded by 18 stars . Near the edge is an inscription denoting its value 'Half Pagoda' both in English and Persian.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vaguely recall seeing one in the old SE Asian coins catalogue, which I was twa cheap to skint the dosh for.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin! image

I've not seen that type before.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Nice Color.

WOW
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I really like the depiction of Vishnu. It's very "stylized" . I'm not sure that's the exact word I'm looking for, but it sounded better than "neat". image
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece! That is one area of numismatics that intrigues me, as I know very little about coins from that general geographic area.