Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone catch the latest Bob Costa's HBO show about the HOF?

MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
Very interesting stuff for sure. He had a debate with Dave Winfield, Jim Palmer and Pete Rose about what to do about Rose and the sterioid players. It seemed to me that Winfield wanted to say Rose should not be there but wouldn't come out and say it with Rose there (will teleconferenced in). Palmer was for Rose being in the hall as well as Ken Rosenthall. Winfield mentions that he talked to alot of HOF players and writers and they said to him that Rose only gets in after his death.

Then they had a segment on Mays and Aaron. They had Bob Gibson in the crowd and asked Mays and Aaron how difficult it was facing him. Aaron said Gibson was intimidating while Mays called him a headhunter. Gibson was stunned visibly at that and Aaron was too and clarified his statement by saying Gibson let you know what part of the plate was his but wouldnt say he was a headhunter like Mays did.

Mays came off like a jerk and this was after Gibson said a ton of complimentary things about him during the segment.
Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• Options
    No love for this topic?

I saw just a few minutes, but missed the rest.

I saw the part with the Angels owner, Andy Van Slyke, and Dave Winfield. The one thing I wondered is who was paying Andy Van Slyke for him to say that performance enhancers are basically non existent. Winfield too. I was surprised by that. I think Costas was too. I am surpirsed that they keep glossing over the fact that HGH is not tested for.

Arte Moreno. After hearing him, there is no doubt that the owners are conspiring against Bonds. He is no less of a bad guy than all those other guys like Giambi. AND NOBODY IS IN THE CLASS OF GARY SHEFFIELD! I am still amazed Sheffileld is allowed to play baseball after making errors on purpose, doing roids...and just being a total ahole.

I missed the stuff about Bob Gibson, and I wanted to see that after I read your post. I had to run out though. I will check if it is on Demand..

I am surpirsed nobody replied to this topic.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I will talk about the baseball Hall of Fame at any given time folks. image

I didn't see the segment, but wish I did.

There's virtually no way we'll know anytime soon, but I truly believe that even if Rose were on the ballot, I don't think he would get the requisite 75% to get in. Wouldn't that be the irony of all ironies? All this debate about Rose and when he finally gets on the ballot, he doesn't get enough votes. I think many people believe 75% is a foregone conclusion, but I could easily see Rose getting only 40 to 50% of the vote.

"Gibson let you know what part of the plate was his." I always chuckle a bit when I hear something like this. The part of the plate that "belongs" to Gibson is the same part of the plate that has belonged to every other pitcher in the history of major league baseball. It's not as though a different home plate is used to determine what is or is not a strike when Gibson pitched or when Glavine pitches, e.g. him saying that he has pitched long enough to get that "outside call."

"...there is no doubt that the owners are conspiring against Bonds." This may or may not be true, but I think it's all a waste of time. Sure a collusion case could be filed and sure the owners could be made to compensate Bonds (so that he has a few extra dollars to add to his already millions.) But no one and nothing on God's green earth can force an owner to give Bonds a job and that, I would imagine, is the only thing he wants from baseball.

Steroids. I have no idea how to account for alleged (and/or actual) steroid/HGH use when voting for the Hall of Fame. Did Bonds' alleged steroid/HGH use increase his numbers? It would hard to argue otherwise. The question seemed to be asked by many is to when extent did his alleged steroid/HGH use increase his numbers? Unfortunately, that is an unanswerable queston. For me, I look at it from another perspective. Like them or not, I look at the rules. And the Hall of Fame voting rules clearly and concisely say:

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

I focus on the integrity, sportsmanship, character and contributions to the teams components because, well, these are subjective determinations. And while Rose and Bonds excell tremendously on their record and playing ability, they fail miserably on, at least, integrity, sportsmanship and character. And on this basis, keep them out. Of course, pundits will says that Cobb was a racist, Ruth was a womanizer, etc., and they're in the Hall of Fame. But the key part is that they're already in the Hall of Fame and there's no way they can be removed. SO MOVING FORWARD, let's take into consideration what kind of person they player is/was now, while they're not in the Hall of Fame. And if it is demonstrated that the Player X used steroids/HGH, that's VERY indicative of poor integrity, sportsmanship and character. As such, keep them out. Is that harsh? ABSOLUTELY. But membership in the Hall of Fame is a privilege. There's no entitlement. A player doesn't just show up, say here's my 3000 hits or 500 home runs, and say let me in. The rules clearly dictate otherwise. And if you don't like the rules, then seek election to the Hall of Fame's Board of Directors and attempt to change the rules.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. I'd check out the members of the Hall's Board of Directors. To be sure, the membership is composed of an interesting group.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    somebody put it on youtube so we all can watch it..... is it already on youtube?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot imagine Willie Mays being a jerk.

Shane

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    At least Willie seemed to be in a better mood this time.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars