Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Got in another killer common for my 69 Set today

rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
this one is absolutely beautiful a very clean 8

First card in the 2nd series with a pretty low pop. Puts me a little over 82% complete.
Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your on your way to finishing this set huh? Nice work, I like the colored backgrounds on these cards, the Csonka is one of my favorites from this set.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like your on your way to finishing this set huh? Nice work, I like the colored backgrounds on these cards, the Csonka is one of my favorites from this set. >>

yeah. I won a few more today. Hopefully I can really close in on it by years end. I think the thing that really first attracted me to the set is the logo on the side with the color background. When I first started collecting football they were not allowed to use the NFL logos on the cards. They were all airbrushed out. Which continued until the 1982 set came out. It started in the early 70s. Really noticeable on the late 70s and early 80s sets. So i naturally gravitated to this set. Thanks for the comment. This is probably the most fun I have had in all of my years of collecting building this set.
  • Options
    PinkcatfishPinkcatfish Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Nice one Mike - Hoak is a tough one.

By the way, I still have that Baker 8 if interested.

Jack
  • Options
    Sweet card!!!
  • Options
    Nice card Rexvos. I can't believe I missed that card. It's one of the last three I need. Congrats!
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card Rexvos. I can't believe I missed that card. It's one of the last three I need. Congrats! >>

probably because he did not put "Dick Hoak" in the title. just Hoak. I got lucky, hopefully you can complete yours soon.
  • Options
    probably because he did not put "Dick Hoak" in the title. just Hoak. I got lucky, hopefully you can complete yours soon.
    Nah, I just overlooked it. I don't scan Ebay everday. maybe once every 5 days. It must have fell in between the days I was looking and the days that I already looked at. I'm glad though that you got the cardimage
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Question about the '69s. I always liked the first series with the full-bleed borders. For some reason, the extra white on later series turns me off, making it seem very blah. Is there any info as to why that design change was made, or is it just one of those ancient unsolved mysteries?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Did you boys see all those sweet 9s go last night ?? The Butkus 9 went for $3500 !! The winner wasn't one of the "usuals".

Frank, the Otto 9 went for $400 +. I fell by the wayside around $275. You did get that sweek Bob Brown though.. Nice one.

Jack
  • Options

helio

I hear ya. Absolutely love the pinks and blues, so vivid. Id like to know as well.

hey pink

longtime still doin the 68 thing.

Cheers, Gator
  • Options
    Hey Gator,

I have never heard why series 1 and 2 were done differently - someone is bound to know here.

A while back (on here I think) I got a scan of an uncut sheet from each of the 2 series. It was interesting to see the placement of the low pops from each series. As I recall around the borders of the sheets were the tough ones in high grades. I think Butkus was in top left hand corner of series 2 sheet.

J
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I once had a copy of the uncut second series sheet of '69 FB,
    but I can't find it on my computer files or I would post it here.

The Jim Otto is on one of the sheet corners, I believe the lower right. Making that card tough in high grade. You see a lot of miscuts on that card too.

I think you're right on Butkus, he's on a corner of the sheet too.

It's the same with '68 FB series one. A lot of the lower pops are located on the left and right side edges of the uncut sheet.

I'm sure this was a problem on nearly every issue of Topps cards and that explains a lot of the low pop cards.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    I was the one who posted the uncut sheets (not mine though), here they are again:

I have the otto in PSA 8 and my Butkus is SGC 88

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Thanks for reposting those sheets

J
  • Options

<< <i>Did you boys see all those sweet 9s go last night ?? The Butkus 9 went for $3500 !! The winner wasn't one of the "usuals".

Frank, the Otto 9 went for $400 +. I fell by the wayside around $275. You did get that sweek Bob Brown though.. Nice one.

Jack >>

I put bids in on a few of them. Just watched the Butkus. Congrats on the 1 you did win btw.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for reposting those sheets

J >>

ditto. Love seeing those!
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, yeah all I came away with was the Keyes. Alot of my 9s have been gotten at good prices. I have lost my head on a few but the other night wasn't one of those "go for it " nights.

If anybody needs an 8 Jim Keyes I will have one available in about a week. image

J
  • Options

I'm surprised at the price of the Otto. I hope AEGcubs decides to sell me his PSA 8. If that happens I'll just need the Hoak to finish the set. (Picked up a Hadl this week too)
  • Options
    If any of you guys need any of these drop me a line breaking my redskins team set

23 Harris psa 9
    45 Smith psa 9
    67 Taylor psa 9 SOLD
    92 Promuto psa 8
    114 Mitchell psa 9
    136 Rock psa 9 SOLD
    158 Kammerer psa 8
    180 Ritchter psa 9
    205 go go psa 9
    227 Sonny psa 8 SOLD
    248 Hanburger psa 9

I think about everyone on this thread knows me already but if you need it my email is jelly_man@msn.com or pm me gl on the set guys

• Options
    How many Otto psa 9's are there? I got the first psa 9 about 3 years ago and sold it to Travelingvaz (sp?) for $550 at the time! I had a sweet raw '69 set that produced about 40 psa 9's and 125 psa 8's. All have been sold but I definitely made some nice money off of it!
    Paul
  • Options

<< <i>How many Otto psa 9's are there? I got the first psa 9 about 3 years ago and sold it to Travelingvaz (sp?) for $550 at the time! I had a sweet raw '69 set that produced about 40 psa 9's and 125 psa 8's. All have been sold but I definitely made some nice money off of it!
    Paul >>

I think there are only 4 just like the Butkus. Travelingyaz has an unreal 69 collection.
  • Options
    Yep, some of that $$ Paul got from those '69s came out of my wallet image - Of course Mike (Vaz) out bid me for the Otto 9 back then. At the time that was the only Jim Otto 9.

This card world is small indeed.

Jack
  • Options

<< <i>If any of you guys need any of these drop me a line breaking my redskins team set

23 Harris psa 9
    45 Smith psa 9
    67 Taylor psa 9 SOLD
    92 Promuto psa 8
    114 Mitchell psa 9
    136 Rock psa 9 SOLD
    158 Kammerer psa 8
    180 Ritchter psa 9
    205 go go psa 9
    227 Sonny psa 8 SOLD
    248 Hanburger psa 9

I think about everyone on this thread knows me already but if you need it my email is <a href="mailto:jelly_man@msn.com">jelly_man@msn.com</A> or pm me gl on the set guys >>

I got the Mitchell in today thanks!!!

• Options
    Just got my sub back from PSA. Knocked off one of the toughest in the set with this submission.

Butkus PSA 8

thrilled to have it in hand.