Home Sports Talk
Options

Any Rice Fans?!-----UPDATE

This is kind of random, but a friend of mine that just graduated from High School this past year was just signed by Rice University to play baseball!!! In case you don't know much about college baseball, this is the equivalent of signing with a school like USC for Football or North Carolina for Basketball along with the academic reputation of the most prestigious in the nation (top 25 school I believe).

Normally signings NEVER occur this late in the recruiting process, but I woke up to find it on the front page of the Sports Section! This makes 3 kids from our team this year that will be playing college baseball, with 2 being Division 1 and the other playing at a community college.

Link

Comments

• Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Very nice to hear about your friend Goot, that's cool. Your friend will get a great education at Rice and the chance to play in the bigs one day if he gets to the next level. Best of luck to all your buddies!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>this is the equivalent of signing with a school like USC for Football or North Carolina for Basketball along with the academic reputation of the most prestigious in the nation (top 25 school I believe). >>

Rice is normally in the top 5 of all publications for best value. Great academics, loyal student body, and absolutely beautiful campus. Their baseball program (consistantly in the CWS) more than makes up for their subpar football and basketball teams.

Your buddy will have a great time in Houston and he made the right choice.

Best of luck to him.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    i enjoy long grained wild rice
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    chicken fried rice.

Congrats to your friend BTW
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Jim Rice
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Some of you may recall that Gary Hart was a fan of Rice...Donna Rice!
    Brett
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was a Jim Rice HOF thread in which Skin and Dallas would have been all over it...image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    While Jim Rice was a player, I was a fan of his.

Grote, Dallas is the official 'keep Rice out of the Hall' guy.

I don't mind Rice being in the Hall...just as long as they put all the other guys in who were better. It can be really easy. They can start with two fo Rice's very own teammates, Dwight Evans, and Fred Lynn. From there, Dick Allen, Reggie Smith, Ted Simmons, and so forth.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skin,

There's a HOF thread over on the Sportscard & Memorabilia forum that has your name written all over it. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote,

I don't think I am emotionally prepared to engage in a Hall of Fame debate.

I just know that a bunch of guys from the 20's don't belong, and many put in by the veterans committee as well. That would pretty much cover it for me.
  • Options
    Who's that Rice girl in the White House ? Heaven knows I can't spell her first name.

Anyway, congrats on your buddy. That's very exciting to have someone you know get that opportunity.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Here's a nice update.... The guy who I originally made this thread about was just taken in the 10th round of the MLB draft by the Nationals!

Yesterday a kid I gre up playing against was taken by the Red Sox in the first round, too. Good draft for our local guys so far!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a nice update.... The guy who I originally made this thread about was just taken in the 10th round of the MLB draft by the Nationals!

Yesterday a kid I gre up playing against was taken by the Red Sox in the first round, too. Good draft for our local guys so far! >>

Congrats! Hope he enjoyed his time in Houston.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Goot ... CONGRATS to your friend! Craig Manuel???
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.