Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1956 Topps Football

I recently purchased a couple 1956 Topps football cards from a fellow board member because I liked the look of them. They are #6 Van Brocklin and #50 McELHENNY both PSA 6. Now that I have them in hand,I like them even more. I looked for info on the set which is 120 cards + 3 versions of a game card insert. After this small start I believe I am hooked into building this set(and probably others)with cards in the 5-up range. I have collected for over 25 years and have been mostly into star vintage however I feel as if I have not accomplished much. I believe building/completing this set(for starters)will give me some sense of satisfaction. So,if there is anyone sitting on some of these please let me know.
I have been collecting sports cards for 30+years.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • kcards,
    About 15 years ago or so, a large group of unopened material (greater than a case) came to the market, I believe from the Tucson area. It was distributed around the country and much of this material was opened. Compared to other sets from the period, high quality cards are a little easier for this set. You may want to consider moving your target up slightly if the price is good.
    If you should decide to try 7's, let me know, I have handful of those around.
    Good Luck it is a great set.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
    Fuzz, I assume the "Contest cards" are still tough to come by? Im not that familier with this set but I think its the best looking Topps set from the 1950's- even better than the AA's and the 57 set, just my opinion ofcourse.
  • I too believe it is a great looking set and I am open to higher graded cards so please let me know what you have, Kyle
  • This was the 1st set I bought as a young kid. The packs were fun to open with colorful pictures and the cardboard felt nice, being more flexible than the 1955 Bowmans which the also sold again in 1956. These cards along with other 50s sets are a lot of fun to put together in VG-Ex raw. It doesn't cost as much and is a lot of fun to actually handle 'em. I recently completed a '56 Topps baseball set raw and it was fun.
    Completed 12 bb & fb sets during 1956-61 from nickel packs...
  • I too like the feel of the cardboard in my hand and it is a very colorful set. I would be open for some raw cards (depending on condition) though my goal is to have the complete graded set PSA 5-up. I actually had a bunch of these handed down from my father however they somehow did not make the trip from the west coast when our family moved to Minnesota. Anyway,start handing them over-lol.
  • I currently have 35 nice raw cards on my website. Some HOf'ers, team cards and some of the short Print Redskins and Cardinals including a nice Cardinals team. Shipping is free! P.S. It is my all time favorite football set!

My Website
  • kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I always liked the set
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Hello,

I have a couple raw orphan 56 Topps fb cards you might be interested in.

#1 Carson looks like a 5. Slightly rounding on all 4 corners. No creases or back damage.
    #78 Hirsch looks like a 6+. No creases or back damage.

Pm if interested
  • I really like the set too. It was kind of a toss-up between the 56's and the 55 Bowmans but overall I like the 56's more. I think I will try and tackle the 55 Bowmans after completing this set. Anyway,please keep the replies/scans coming.
    I love the orange background on this one, this is the only '56 I own but like I said earlier this set is my favorite Topps 1950's issue.

• It is a beautiful card! NOW HAND OVER THAT MOORE!!
  • I would like to show my 56's as I get them however I cant figure out how to post a picture in the reply. I can post a link I suppose,however I like seeing the pic right here in the post. Any help would be appreciated, Kyle
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Here you go.....

imageimage

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • The '56 set is a great vintage football set that won't break the bank. I've had many in the past but sold or traded them all off so I can't be of any help to you on the set but I wish you luck!
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Great looking set. Some cards (Redskins and Cardinals SP's) are impossible to find in high grade. But if you're working on a PSA 5 or 6 set, they shouldn't be that difficult to locate. Here's a couple of mine.

Good luck Kcards, building your set!