Home Sports Talk
Options

What's wrong with Pete Rose?

stevekstevek Posts: 27,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why wasn't he at the All Star game with the rest of the old timers?

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    The moderators have requested that all replies be kept to 25,000 words or less to conserve digital space on the forum.

Thank you for your cooperation.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    He bet the NL the last 11 years and coudn't handle another loss?
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He got sucked into a Keno game in Connecticut.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>He bet the NL the last 11 years and coudn't handle another loss? >>

image Had to have been it.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    they were afraid he might do this

• Options
    hangin out at the slots at Foxwoods?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Rose actually was there..outside the gates selling auto balls for 100 per.

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    He was with the rest of the ex-Reds (Sparky Anderson, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench, Tom Seaver). Only Tony Perez showed up from the Reds. I think Morgan probably bailed because he knows he would've been roundly booed for all of the trite and negative comments he's made about the Yankees and players like Munson, Guidry, Gossage, Jackson, and others.

Like the other Reds, he's still bitter that the Big Red Machine doesn't get the props that he and the rest feel they deserve. They're jealous that the A's and the Yankees from the 1970's get more ink than they do... I think it's about time they got over it. I don't see Jim Palmer or Willie Stargell crying about it.
  • Options
    No Koufax there either, but of course that wasn't a big surprise.

Sandy played part of his career in Brooklyn - I would of thought he would have wanted to be there in NY for that.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's wrong with Pete Rose? >>

Steve, in answer to your question, he played for the Phillies.

That pretty much sums it up right there.

• Options

<< <i>I don't see Jim Palmer or Willie Stargell crying about it. >>

Since Stargell is dead I guess he won't be crying about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's wrong with Pete Rose? >>

image >>

Keep this up Matt about bad comments about Philadelphia sports teams and my smack talk this Fall towards the Dallas Cowboys will be even harsher than usual. I mean it...I'm not kidding...I'm serious...
  • Options
    too much gambling.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Why wasn't he at the All Star game with the rest of the old timers? >>

Seriously. we all know the answer. It's all about Selig who was very close to Bart G.. As long as he's commish, he will not cut Pete Rose any slack. That really bums me out because Pete Rose was one of the best who ever played the game and should at the very least be invited to events like the recent All Star Game. I bet (not pun intended) if Pete Rose was announced as part of the pre-game festivities, it could have created extra publicity for baseball. Oh well, it was still a great event!
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> No Koufax there either, but of course that wasn't a big surprise.

Sandy played part of his career in Brooklyn - I would of thought he would have wanted to be there in NY for that.
    >>

You really think so? I don't know??? One thing for sure, Sandy Koufax is certainly a very private person.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Why wasn't he at the All Star game with the rest of the old timers? >>

Seriously. we all know the answer. It's all about Selig who was very close to Bart G.. As long as he's commish, he will not cut Pete Rose any slack. That really bums me out because Pete Rose was one of the best who ever played the game and should at the very least be invited to events like the recent All Star Game. I bet (not pun intended) if Pete Rose was announced as part of the pre-game festivities, it could have created extra publicity for baseball. Oh well, it was still a great event! >>

I think Rose has been invited to a few "celebratory" type baseball events. I'm not sure if this All Star event was strictly for "Hall of Famers" or not - I don't believe there were any non Hall of Fame old timers out there.

Frankly, technically, that may have been incorrect to totally do it that way with just Hall of Famers - I mean any good or great Yankees player should really have been part of that - after all it was about Yankee Stadium and those who played there...Ideally I think there should have been a number of Yankees players out there such as Mattingly, etc, etc. But MLB management often gets it wrong these days compared to the NFL which usually gets it right.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    << What's wrong with Pete Rose? >>

LMM that was funny. There are a lot of people here that collect Pete Rose cards but not the cards of him after he joined the Phillies. 1980-1984 bad.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>they were afraid he might do this

image >>

Who is this dude Pete? And why is he holding his hose? image

We ALL know Pete Rose was a HALL OF FAME ball player. Its too bad he f'ed it all up after the fact. I feel bad for him ..... kind of .... part of me thinks that it is absurdity that he is kept from all of the post playing days benefits of being a ALL TIME GREAT and part of me can't believe he was DUMB enough to be as DUMB as he was when caught. Which of course negated any and all leeway he might have possibly had if he spilled the beans years ago.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Pete Rose admitted to gambling.

Shoeless Joe Jackson played a great world series and was canned just because his teammates associated with gamblers.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Rose is just another ex Phillie that will never make it into the Hall of Fame.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Pete only wishes he was hitting in the Phillies lineup today! Rollins, Rose, Utley, Howard, Burrell....you might as well carve the rings already!