Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this a high price? South Korea 1966 5 Won

I stumbled across this auction for what I figured was not a rare coin for big bucks. Is there something I'm missing?

South Korea 1966 5 Won

Comments

• Options
    No.You are not missing anything. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    First year issue for the 5 Won coin. Dealers in Korea are selling these in BU condition for 250,000W ($250) plus. The carbon spots on this coin keep the price down. Almost every decent early modern Korean coin on ebay is now going to Korea as the prices are much lower than can found in Korea. JP
  • Options
    This coin is not what you think. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of unrecognized rarities around but this isn't one of them. It's scarce enough
    probably but there are people who know that it's tough.

It's really hard to know much working in a vacuum but I have been able to find a few of these
    so never figured it was that rare. The Korean brass is often, almost typically, seen with nasty
    tarnish like this.

I can't imagine what some of the moderns would sell for if there were thousands or tens of thou-
    sands of collectors actively seeking them.

I still believe we're going to find out.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Well, I guess I will put the one I have lying around on ebay.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options

<< <i>Well, I guess I will put the one I have lying around on ebay. >>

Welcome aboard.

Is it a nice specimen?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Here are images. There is a small carbon spot on the reverse, but it is a nice coin.

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54

• Options

<< <i>Here are images. There is a small carbon spot on the reverse, but it is a nice coin.

>>

It looks pretty nice.

Usually the important thing with the moderns is just that it's definitely unc.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Now we are getting somewhere. Carefully compare the images of the EBAY coin with this coins' date and compare the characters also. This coin posted by muygrandeoso, subject to weight and size ck., is the correct coin. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    Oh, and before I forget my manners, welcome Muygrandeoso. John Curlis FLG
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The date definately looks different on the two coins. Fat 6s vs. thin 6s.

imageimage

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    And before anyone asks, no there was no other die, and the cartoonists that work for the Simpsons didn't make the die- although they could have carved the die for the EBAY coin considering the very bad character alignment, not to mention the font and the turtle boat... Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and before I forget my manners, welcome Muygrandeoso. John Curlis FLG >>

Thanks for the welcome sir......and thanks for the information.

Muygrandeoso (Chris McNelly)

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    See what I mean- don't you love the Simpsons EBAY Dragon, Boat, Flag and waves? It is cute though... I humbly hope this helps explain my earlier comments that it was not what was thought. Respectfully, John Curlis
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea these were copied! Very interesting indeed.
  • Options
    Hey Harpua,

Thanks for starting this thread. I sold my 1966 and 1967 5 Won for $185.....Go Figureimage

Chris

• Options

<< <i>Hey Harpua,

Thanks for starting this thread. I sold my 1966 and 1967 5 Won for $185.....Go Figureimage

Chris >>

I was watching these and think you would have gotten more but you had them ending early in the morning here in Korea

JP
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    You could have knocked me for a loop when I sold this coin for $340+ last January: South Korea 1966 10 Won UNC KM#6 Bronze Lustrous
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options

<< <i>You could have knocked me for a loop when I sold this coin for $340+ last January: South Korea 1966 10 Won ] >>

It is a very nice specimen but WOW.

There must be almost none of these in country for collectors.
    Tempus fugit.