Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1928 Babe Ruth Fro Joy card #1

Gentleman,

My Dad just recently started to purchase a few baseball cards as his son(me)has been enjoying collecting now for several years.He's 73,born in 1928 and decided to purchase the 1928 Fro Joy Babe Ruth card #1 thru an auction website without discussing it in advance.He bought a PRO "Mint 9" card for $300 which I believe beyond doubt is not authentic even though he was assured it by the seller.PSA has never had a card graded higher than a PSA 6 and an authentic card in the condition PRO states would,in several folks estimates,be worth quite a bit more than the $300 he's paid.My Dad though has his doubts.

What would anybody suggest I do to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt to my Dad that the card is not authentic.I was told they replicated the card in the 1960's which is my guess where the card originated from..

Much thanks to all!!!

Keith

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Crack it and resubmit it to PSA or SGC.

There is no way that there is an authentic PRO 9 of this card. NO WAY.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Keith,

Glad to see you here!...Don't be a stranger.

As for the PRO 9 being the real McCoy, as you know, I do gamble once in a while. In this case, I'm not betting a nickle on this card. It's about a million to one that it's legitimate. The only way to find out is to crack the PRO and submit. Do you have any recourse with the seller?

Paul

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • << It's about a million to one that it's legitimate. The only way to find out is to crack the PRO and submit. Do you have any recourse with the seller? >>

I agree - slim chance that it's authentic. Some people marvel at such high grades by the non-reputable grading companies and think they are getting such a bargain when, in fact, they are in for a rude awakening when they resubmit it to a reputable grading companies.

Keith, if you are looking for authentic PSA graded Fro-Joy's - drop me an email, I have some for sale.

Regards,
    Steve
    vorthian@aol.com

• NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    When you open the PRO grading case, do so in the presence of trustworthy and disinterested witnesses - ideally have the whole thing videotaped too. You should have all the materials ready for submitting the card to whichever reputable grading company you'll be using, and package and mail it on the spot (in front of the witnesses) as well.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Better yet ...

Just send the card to PSA STILL ENCLOSED in the PRO slab.

I have sent many cards to PSA that were still slabbed by SGC ... and they have never damaged my cards in removing them. They also send back the old slab and label, etc.
  • andiehaley,
    can you give us a link to the auction or the auction number?
    I would like to see this for myself.
    ~jeff
    imageimage
  • If there is one card that can be accurately authenticated to within 99.9% accuracy, while being blindfolded, it is a Fro Joy purchased from Ebay.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Hal,

Did Psa offer a grade estimate before they cracked open the Sgc holder? I thought they would
    not grade a card unless it was out of the holder. That's the story they gave me.

I figured that wasn't true across the board. So I figured to hold any card I wanted encapsulated
    by Psa until I got plenty of high grade ones. Now I'm not even sure I'll do it.

aconte
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Well, at least he is not claiming that this is from 1928!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • since there is suspicion that BVG/BGS might grade cards cut from sheets

I may buy this one, have it cut and graded by BVG!

even Ruth cards from the 50's if graded high can't suck, right?

~jeff (the entrepreneur)
    imageimage