Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Worst example of PSA Mint 9 card...

This topic is not exactly set registry related, however, I am collecting numerous Kellogg's sets (which the card in question is).

What does everyone do when they get a card that is obviously misgraded?

The following link will show my entry to the worst PSA MINT 9 card I've seen. Anyone have a worse one?

Worst PSA-9 card?

Robert
Looking for:
Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
High grade Redskins (pre 1980)

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That is horrible, for sure.

Question: You didn't submit this card yourself, I imagine. With the Kelloggs' cards, I imagine that there is at the very least a possibility that this card did not have the cracks when it was submitted, and it happened with "age". It is probably just a gross misgrade.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • No, I didn't submit it myself. I bought it sight unseen in a lot of other cards. Didn't really look at it close when I received it. Noticed it much later. While it's possible it cracked inside the PSA holder, I would doubt it.

Luckily, I didn't pay much for it. image

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    That is the rare Jim Palmer "San Andreas front" version.
  • It's been said that all Kellogg's cards ever made, except for the plain paper ones, will eventually wind up being cracked. We're talking from decades to centuries depending upon how they've been stored since the day they were issued. With proper storage from the very beginning, they will hold up just fine for many generations. If not they will show signs of aging. This is due to adhering a piece of plastic to a piece of paper. Each substance reacts differently to the environment it is stored in. As these substances age or "dry out" they have a tendency to revert back to the shape they were prior to being laid out flat as a card. The plastic dries out and wants to curl. The cardboard does too, but they both don't do it at the same rate and extreme as each other. Kellogg's cards that have been stored flat for many many years will hold up much better, and if slabbed will last a long time. Anything that has been flattened recently, could crack very easily. This card was probably curled a bit prior to being sent in. The card was flattened when put in a holder, sent to PSA for grading and obviously looked fine and sealed inside a holder. Eventually the card wants to go back to the shape it is used to, and something has to give. The only way you would be able to avoid this is to have a flexible PSA holder that will roll up along with the Kellogg's card. There is no way that the card looked like this prior to sending it in. You just are the unfortunate person owning it at the time it popped.