Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got a couple more Conder's today

I think both a fairly common but non the less great themes.image

The guy is so cute on the 1793 Halfpennyimage So I couldn't resist.
Also, is appears to be a cracked planchet.

And the Mail Coach is pretty cool and has a lot of character with all the die cracks on the reverse.

Any opinions?

Stefanie

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking tokens! The Sheffield tokens often are found in bad shape and the striking quality on them was not that high to begin with. Yours looks like a very nice example. image

I will look up what information I have on these 2 when I get home.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking tokens! The Sheffield tokens often are found in bad shape and the striking quality on them was not that high to begin with. Yours looks like a very nice example. image

I will look up what information I have on these 2 when I get home. >>

Great, looking forward to it.

Stefanie
  • Options
    The first token is catalogued as Yorkshire Sheffield D&H 56. There are 3 edge varieties:
    56 - Engrailed (Common)
    56a - Milled (Extremely Rare)
    56b - Plain (Common)

The reverse is the Arms and Crest of the Sheffield Cutlers' Company (Arms - gules, three pairs of swords in saltire, Crest - on a wreath above a helmet an elphant's head couped, contournée).

The token is a Genuine Trade Token (G.T.T.) made for John Hands. John was the diesinker and manufacturer of his own tokens. As stated in Arthur Waters publication Notes On Eighteenth Century Tokens "These are some of the roughest work found on any token."
    I have a fairly beat up version of 56b. There is conjecture that the man on the obverse would be the master cutler.

The second token is catalogued as Middlesex Mail Coach D&H 363 (Common). Again a G.T.T. the issuer is unknown. The diesinker was Thomas Wyon, the manufacturer Thomas Mynd. The cypher of JF + a contemporary copper plate engraving of a mail coach drawn by 4 horses which is dedicated to John Palmer by John Fittler leads one to believe that the issuer was John Fittler. There are several different Mail Coach tokens, I have an example of #366.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options

<< <i>The first token is catalogued as Yorkshire Sheffield D&H 56. There are 3 edge varieties:
    56 - Engrailed (Common)
    56a - Milled (Extremely Rare)
    56b - Plain (Common)

The reverse is the Arms and Crest of the Sheffield Cutlers' Company (Arms - gules, three pairs of swords in saltire, Crest - on a wreath above a helmet an elphant's head couped, contournée).

The token is a Genuine Trade Token (G.T.T.) made for John Hands. John was the diesinker and manufacturer of his own tokens. As stated in Arthur Waters publication Notes On Eighteenth Century Tokens "These are some of the roughest work found on any token."
    I have a fairly beat up version of 56b. There is conjecture that the man on the obverse would be the master cutler.

The second token is catalogued as Middlesex Mail Coach D&H 363 (Common). Again a G.T.T. the issuer is unknown. The diesinker was Thomas Wyon, the manufacturer Thomas Mynd. The cypher of JF + a contemporary copper plate engraving of a mail coach drawn by 4 horses which is dedicated to John Palmer by John Fittler leads one to believe that the issuer was John Fittler. There are several different Mail Coach tokens, I have an example of #366. >>

I must admit I do not know the difference in Engrailed vs. Milled edges
    I provided an image. Can you tell which one it is?

Stefanie

• Options
    Yours is engrailed. Milled edges on Conder tokens are normally ///// or \\ while engrailed is a pattern.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
  • Options

<< <i>Yours is engrailed. Milled edges on Conder tokens are normally ///// or \\ while engrailed is a pattern. >>

Ahhh, thanks.

Stefanie