Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909VDB MATTE PROOF LINCOLN AT BALTIMORE ANA

Well, here we go again. Another prized Matte Proof 1909VDB Lincoln cent will be up for auction on July 31st at the ANA convention in Baltimore. This one is in a PCGS slab and is graded PR64RB. Here is a LINK

This coin is always in high demand because of the fact that less than 200 are believed to currently remain in existence with VERY few of those available in the market for sale. Unlike almost any other Lincoln business strike and proof coin, dealers just don't have them for sale. I would estimate that just about all of these coins are in the hands of collectors and in todays market if that collector is ready to sell, the coin will be sold via auction or private treaty. The coin MUST exhibit three key diagnostics in order to be accepted by the hobby. That is why any RAW example that shows up needs to be slabbed by either PCGS or NGC.

Good luck to anyone here who is going after this one. It is a five figure coin already. I wonder if we will EVER see another 09VDB MPL in a PCGS or NGC slab sell for under $10,000?
Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    My $16,000 (17,500? w/bp) bid is history.

Gonna cost at least $20,700 to beat out the current high bidder.

My guess is $22,500 if it sells.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Brothers, I don't think 22.5K will get it. There are plenty of brothers that want one and that only means one thing. It's going to be expensive. As in past proof VDB sales, the bar will be raised when this one is sold. I will only predict north of 30K.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    As I mentioned in previous thread, I have developed relationship with one of Heritage's Senior Numismatists. I asked him to inspect and evaluate two coins and below are his comments:

1909 VDB 1c PCGS PR64RB
    OBV: Decent eye appeal. A few small specks. Mark from back of Lincolns neck towards "spot" at 10 O'Clock. Check the mark from the back of the neck carefully-there is some disagreement of the cause-it may be a lamination or even in the plastic-not 100% on this one-sorry.
    REV: Nice blending of color. A few small specks.

1909 Lincoln 1c PCGS PR67RD
    OBV: Positive eye appeal. Color a little variegated. Somewhat strange area of color around Abe's eye. A little carbon,and a tiny streak by God.
    REV:Lint mark by Left Wheat. Nearly devoid of carbon. This coin has very good "pop".

Good luck to all the bidders, not even going to guess what they will go for, but suspect the VDB will be higher than anything mentioned above.
    Jonathan
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Early action brought this coin to $19,550 with the juice with 8 bidders. Now we have two and a half weeks to go. The June FUN auction for the NGC 66RB provided huge floor action that resulted in a sale price of over $60k. I would think this PCGS 64RB would bring at least $30k given the current market for MPL's and particularly 09 VDB MPL's. Who knows when the NEXT 09 VDB will come to market? We shall see what happens.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    Well, the two and a half weeks are now down to less than one week to go and we are exactly where we were a week and a half ago. $20k with the juice and 8 bidders. I wonder if we will see anymore internet bidding and if there will be floor bidding next Thursday. We shall see.
    Steveimage
  • Options

Brother, I got a feeling it ain't over yet.
  • Options
    Current bid $22k
  • Options

New bid is now $24,000.00. That rises to $27,600.00 with the juice.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my guess is at 42k
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my guess is at 42k >>

My guess is you are close. Not much longer to wait.
  • Options
    One new bidder (9 in all) up'd the bidding after a week and a half with no action. Apparently, the prior leader countered and before we know it the bidding is up to $24k with the juice to $27,600. So, the PCGS pricing guide "value" of $27,500 has been met for this PR64RB coin. The 64RB with a PCGS pop of 21 and the PR65RB with a PCGS pop of 23 makes up 45% of the total PCGS population for the 1909VDB MPL. The fact that this "average graded" coin commands this kind of money attests to what we all know about the 09VDB MPL. Again, good luck to anyone here who is going for this coin. Steve image
  • Options
    Thought I'd "stretch" for it at 26k (plus the juice) but alas it was to no avail. image

Now at 32.2 w/the BP

Will need 34.5 to beat it.
  • Options
    Hey, what do my fellow collectors think about this ‘crazy’ idea??!!

Suppose, hypothetically speaking, a 'dealer' (or two dealers working together) who may own a particular coin, could, again hypothetically, 'squeeze' a little more out of a bid to 'win' a bid at strategic times that have absolutely no real meaning, when in fact that dealer might just be bidding to drive up the bid so they make more money at the end of the auction. If you think about it, why would a collector who is interested in a coin tell other bidders how much they bid, and drive up a bid which they would themselves have to end up paying for? Maybe they do not ever really plan to pay for the coin. This particular coin was purchased already bought the same coin twice in the past at Previous Prices from Heritage Auctions:

1) November 30, 2006 64 PCGS $14,950.00;
    2) May 8, 2004 64 PCGS $7,130.00.

(Records are interesting, huh?)

Seems obvious, no? Be careful if you think this could hypothetically happen.

30K maybe (the buyer from 2 years ago makes a pretty good (100%) return. But 42K?? Think about that for a minute.

The coin is at the PCGS guide right now, but one new bidder is suddenly using some very basic techniques to inflate a bid. HHHMMMMMM.

Just one man's point of view....
  • Options
    Hey, I'm hear until Thursday - try the veal! image
  • Options
    Sorry. Mis-spell. --"Here" image
  • Options
    Duane,
    ANYTHING is possible when THIS coin comes up for auction. Bottom line to me is if someone wants to own the coin, and can afford it, he or she WILL pay to get it. I believe that in the past 5 years THIS coin's overall value has increased manyfold because of the increased interest in MPL's and the Set Registry. Dealer manipulation is always possible because ANY dealer can "flip" THIS coin for a profit in the current market if they wind up as top bidder. JMHO. Steveimage
  • Options
    i think alot of money not only is being made in this hobby but is pouring in too.

there's always some behind the scenes stuff as shoot the one who takes this 09vdb home could of made it just off of 08 with 07 reverse eagles this year.

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Steve-

Anything can happen. Agreed on all counts. I'm just a purist, and like a good legitimate bidding process.

For example, the dealer(s) who manipulate a coins's value by pushing it up may not be doing so for the purpose of a flip (if he/she were, he/she would want the bid low, so the money could be made on the flip). By inflating the price, the dealer is looking to make a quick opportunistic buck, that's my thinking. The game is this: the collector that buys this coin goes back to the dealer, sells at a low price, and the dealer puts the coin back on the shelf and recycles the coin (by inflating some more).

My bet is that 'ahem' *sometimes* one dealer may 'help' another dealer get the best possible price on a so-so coin by bidding on it at really ridiculous dead times in the bidding process, not when the real collectors are bidding, but when the when the real collectors who want the coin, go into waiting mode. The dealer wants to generate an artificial interest, and bids on the coin. Sometimes over-anxious collectors take the bait, because the coin is so 'rare' and it may never come back again! In the words of Austin powers: "Right......." What about the 'rare' 1915 64RB MPL that is fetching $550 at this point in the same auction? 1909VDB 420 minted; 1916 600 minted. You get my point.

So real coin collectors, who end up having to pay the premium (like us) end up getting an inflated coin as we get played against one-another. I can gaurantee you that if a collector buys this coin on Thursday, and takes it to any dealer, that dealer will offer 3/4 of what was just paid. It's a game we have seen in other industries. used cars comes to mind. But to bring the "sport of kings" to the level of a used car level just cheapens the process, in my opinion. But their are many ethical dealers, fortunetely, who won't pick your pocket, and will give you a quality product.

When Stewart Blay's 1914 hit the block recently, he made a good buck, but a fair buck, as he sold a true quality and rare coin. Watching the action in this so-called quality market bid is a little creepier, as the quality of the product is marginal (clearly compared to Blay's coin - which an unscrupulous dealer could not get near) so this coin is just getting pushed here.

That is my only point. the collectors here should be smart, and bidding in the high 20s, low 30s, tops, in my opinion, on this coin, and not allowing transparent bidders inflate their own bids. I'd like to complete my set, and will compete against other real bidders, but not much for taking sucker bait. I bet if no other collector places another bid on this coin in this auction, one of two things will proceed to happen 1) a real collector gets the coin for a 'semi'-reasonable bid, or 2) there is a dealer out there who eats his/her own strategy. I'd suggest going one notch higher, maybe, as the coin already has been artifically pushed 10K; more then that is an overpay.

Agreed? the next time a dealer bids this coin, I'd hold. Let them buy it at an inflated price and have a good chuckle watching these so-called collectors "stretch" there own wallets, and not yours and mine image

Duane
  • Options
    Duane,

Wasn't same coin in both past sales you cited. Just the more recent 11/06 one (where the pics made the coin look MUCH nicer - AND were/are closer to how it looks in hand). The current pics (esp. in the slab) make it look much closer to brown than reality).

The older sale, i.e. 5/04, was a different coin.

Current pic: image

11/06 pic: image

5/04 pic: image
  • Options
    Thanks. Good catch. So you have seen the coin in person? It looks nice?

Duane
  • Options
    Yes & Yes.

p.s. as for the dealer price manipulation you allude to, it CERTAINLY goes on but they do run the risk of pushing it too far resulting in a no sale & a problem with what to do after "winning" the lot. I disagree that it "can be flipped for a profit regardless of the price paid".

p.p.s. IMHO, 30k is/was a stretch AND should be the top for this (my 26+bp was 29,900). Anything further (and I'm not ruling out 35-40k) IMO is registry fever.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But to bring the "sport of kings" ......

Actually it is the hobby of kings. The sport of kings is horses, and horse trading is far more unscrupulous!

Doug
  • Options
    Tex - Utterly agreed. We are witnessing a full blown case of registry fever. Great for the seller, though, a truly decent fellow. Bravo! I disagree with the 'flip' comment too - I think that was another member's voice.

Doug-Patent litigation has been dubbed the sport of kings, as well, for some time. These kings really have their hands full bewteen the the hobbies and sports image

How about litigating patents while on horseback? And grading coins at the same time. Sounds challenging.

Anyone notice there is yet another bidder!! The planets are out of alignment, for sure.
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to pop in here and let all the MPL Collectors know that there are in fact two 09-VDB MPL's available on the bourse floor in addition to the one at auction.

Angel Dee's has a PR65RB in a green label holder, and there is another one in a 64RB rattler holder. For the life of me I can't remember where the 64RB wasimage

Neither of them compare to Stewart Blay's 67RD thoughimage
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On his website, Andy has listed a PR65RB 1909 (no VDB). Are you sure that's not what you're talking about?

-Matt

P.S. I just e-mailed him to confirm on that.
  • Options
    Matt, I know it was a VDB as I wasn't allowed to look at itimage

just kidding!image that is about not being able to look at it
  • Options
    i'd count that one sold then...anyone looking at it would of snagged it in a heartbeat
    as to the other???
    i'm sure it carried a tag or you yourself would of pounced too

• Options
    Teddy, no need for me to ask the price, as I would pro'lly have to sell my whole collection to be able to buy it...........and that ain't happenin'image
  • Options
    yayyy....i'm not alone in not having deep pockets

• Options
    Me too. I would either have to sell my 5 or 6 best coins, or everything else! Better bet to have the cash in hand by next Feb or March. Of course, by then, the price will DOUBLE!

-Matt
  • Options

Brothers, I received a call today and MPLs were moving on the bourse floor. I predict big changes in the PCGS price guide.
  • Options
    hey curly...that's not the best of news as i still need those toughies like the 16 and the 12...yikes

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brothers, I received a call today and MPLs were moving on the bourse floor. I predict big changes in the PCGS price guide. >>

Do you think there will be some shuffling around on the Registry?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Brothers, I received a call today and MPLs were moving on the bourse floor. I predict big changes in the PCGS price guide. >>

Do you think there will be some shuffling around on the Registry? >>

Yes.
  • Options
    So, if you didn't already know, Andy sold his PR65RB VDB.
  • Options
    So 30k plus the juice was the final price?
  • Options
    Tex-

You cannot be referring to 30K for a PR65 RB MPL?? People on the Registry set would buy decent 65's all day long at 30K. Or 40. Or 50 for that matter!

Duaneimage
  • Options
    No. The original 64RB auction link.

Sorry I skipped/ignored the "tangent" of the thread. imageimage
  • Options
    Just to wrap up this thread, the 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent in PCGS PR64RB sold for $34,500 including the fee at the Heritage ANA sale in Baltimore on Thursday afternoon. With a total of 10 bidders this sale continues to support the fact that THIS particular variety is in demand by collectors AT ANY GRADE as long as it is "the real thing". Two or three years ago I would not have thought this VDB proof in PR64RB would command much over $10k, but here we are in 2008 and the coin sells for more than $30k. What is really interesting to me is that of the 146 total 09VDB's slabbed by both PCGS and NGC (which includes crossovers and crackouts) ONLY 17 have graded PR63 or lower. Those collectors who have been priced out at $30k+ will probably have very little chance to find a lower grade at auction in the future. In many ways this is sad because I consider myself VERY lucky to have gotten mine in 2002 and I often think how I would feel today if I hadn't gotten it then. Steve image
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to wrap up this thread, the 1909VDB Matte proof Lincoln cent in PCGS PR64RB sold for $34,500 including the fee at the Heritage ANA sale in Baltimore on Thursday afternoon. With a total of 10 bidders this sale continues to support the fact that THIS particular variety is in demand by collectors AT ANY GRADE as long as it is "the real thing". Two or three years ago I would not have thought this VDB proof in PR64RB would command much over $10k, but here we are in 2008 and the coin sells for more than $30k. What is really interesting to me is that of the 146 total 09VDB's slabbed by both PCGS and NGC (which includes crossovers and crackouts) ONLY 17 have graded PR63 or lower. Those collectors who have been priced out at $30k+ will probably have very little chance to find a lower grade at auction in the future. In many ways this is sad because I consider myself VERY lucky to have gotten mine in 2002 and I often think how I would feel today if I hadn't gotten it then. Steve image >>

Steve,
    I know how you'd feel. (underbidder on Steves VDB in 2002) And where my set fell short.

Congrats to the new VDB owners.
  • Options

OK, I admit it, I'm not as sharp as you educated brothers, but I'm seeing innuendoes in this thread. Is there some suspicion floating about?

How about a PM from someone telling me who bought the VDB.
  • Options
    Steve-

I can't seem to get you through your PM - what is the total number of 1909VDB MPL certified by all services - do you have that data?

Duane