Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

2001 Topps Archives Auto Set

Hello,
There are only two registered sets on the PSA Registry right now. I just bought a PSA subscription and the grades on my free submissions just popped and I am very excited. I will be starting the third 2001 Topps Archives Auto Set as soon as I get the cards. The other two cards are autos I pulled from Packs and just wanted to get them graded so I can possibly sell them.

MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 42 AL KALINE
MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 108 TOM SEAVER
MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 110 JOHNNY BENCH
NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 139 MIKE SCHMIDT
GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS GALLERY CERTIFIED AUTOGRAPH BB BARRY BONDS
MINT 9 2007 UPPER DECK FUTURE STARS 103 TROY TULOWITZKI AUTOGRAPH

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. it is a pretty set
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Here are the pictures from my free submissions...

• Options
    262Runner262Runner Posts: 606 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in the Bonds, do you have a price in mind?

Collecting all cards - Gus Zernial
    Post Cereal both raw and PSA Graded (1961-1963)

• Options
    very nice cards! Thanks for sharing the scan!
  • Options
    Hello, long time since posting. These will be graded soon. (hopefully)

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Who in this photo doesn't belong???????
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    LoL. I'm gonna go with Kent Tekulve for semi-obvious reasons.

Although, he does hold the great honor of having the 2nd most appearances by a pitcher while never starting a game (1050 games). John Franco has 1119.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    He was a very good pitcher just not in the League with those guys he is next too. Believe me Tekulve was much appreciated in Bucco land.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Finally got a bulk order sent to PSA!! 99 cards from 2001 Topps Archives Autos and a T206 for good luck! Does anyone know if PSA really takes 45 days to get the bulk orders returned or is that just a "cover their behinds" estimate? I figure the holidays might slow down the proccess also.

Even when I post them to my set, I will still be in 3rd place on the Set Registry,,,2001 Arch Autos, not 3rd on the T206 list haha.
  • Options
    Just pulled in a tough one from the 2001 Archives Auto set. SP to 50. I am hoping that PSA gets to grading my bulk submission soon, I will scan and post here as well as upload images on the registry.

• Options
    The 2001 Topps archives set is in the top 5 of autograph sets ever produced. I would put it up there with 1997 Upper Deck Legends Football and the 2000 greats of the game baseball set.
    www.sportsnutcards.com
    Specializing in Certified Autograph Cards, Rookies, Rare Inserts and other quality modern cards! Over 8000 Cards in stock now! Come visit our physical store located at 1210 Main St. Belmar ,NJ
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Nice auto set. I just picked up a Chuck Foreman Reserve Archive auto from this set. Are all the autos on the chrome cards faded?
  • Options
    Go Steelers,
    Topps put out 2 archives sets, Topps Archives are non-chrome and Topps Archives Reserve are the chrome equivalents. Archives was just cards with rookie reprints cards and each box had an autographeed card. Archives Reserve came with an actuall autographed baseball and one (or two?) chrome autographed cards. Football Archives Reserve came with an autographed minihelmet instead of a baseball I think.
  • Options
    Poppage!!!

99+1(t206)

eight 10s
    twenty-two 9s
    nine 8.5s
    fifty-three 8s
    two 7.5s
    two 7s
    three 6s
    one 2

I guess not bad considering cards were collected almost completely via ebay; thus handled by who knows. Not totally suprised the 7s and 6s, as some of the cards have dark borders and are susceptible to chips. Also about the same grading range as the other cards on the PSA Registry (before upgrades).
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    That was a quick submission.
    And yes these autographed cards are handled by many hands, incl the athlete signing the cards.
    Very impressive set, congrats
  • Options
    Graded cards finally arrived so I scanned and entered most onto the registry. I haven't put the 8.5s and up on yet. Here are the scans of the 10s and the low grade of the bunch.

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards!!!
  • Options
    Nice job, especially on the Wills. Those cards are almost always off-center. I've had 5 of them and not one has approached yours in centering.
    Always buying George Brett Gem Mint Cards!
  • Options
    Thanks Pebblyjack,
    The Wills was just luck on the centering. I was very happy about the Jim Wynn, the back is orange all the way to the edges. I compared the overall population report grade ratios and I was above average on the 10s, but I was below average on the 9s, way over average on the 8.5s and above average on the 8s. I expected the Pepitone to be low due to the ding/crease on the lower left corner. Are you still working on the set? Dodge has quite a set going. Now I need to submit my big dogs (SP/50s). My Brett came with a corner ding from the ebay seller so I wince to see what it grades. I can tell people it was autographed and DROPPED by George Brett, adds value!!
  • Options
    Fantastic cards! Thanks for showing them!
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    Farmkidd

Still going at it, but slowly and even more slowly. I have an Eckersley, Winfield, and McCarver ready to submit. I am just waiting to snag three more to send in on my free submissions for rejoining the club. I know I have a Hershiser someplace, but can't seem to locate it. In addition to that, I need the Dawson, the Carter, and a Chance upgrade (my only 7), which should push me to 90%. After that, I would only have the "big dogs" to complete. Who knows how long it will take me to get the last 14. I seem to get about one big dog a year, so 14 more years ?!

By the way, have you ever seen a Keith Hernandez autograph? I have been chasing this set for 7 years now and have never seen one. I do remember seeing a redemption card for it back in the day on eBay, but that's it. But, then again, I purchased a Juan Marichal redemption card on eBay, sent it in and received three non-Archives autographs, the best of which was a Terrence Long (wince). Turns out, Marichal never signed the cards and doesn't have an autograph in the set. Personally, I don't think Hernandez signed any, either. However, it is still recognized by the Standard Catalog. So, I don't know if we can get PSA to remove it from the Registry or not. I did get them to remove several non-issued cards, like Uecker, Marichal, Reggie Smith, and Jack Morris from the Registry when it was first set up, so we'll see.

Nice submission and good luck with the chase

Randy

• Options
    very nice cards here
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Just read through this thread for the first time... Great cards and a great set to put together for the registry. Nice job! image

• Options
    As I currently have the #1 PSA registry set I can speak with at least a little knowledge.

The Keith Hernandez card DOES NOT EXIST.

Now how can we get PSA to recognize this fact?

This is a continuing problem in some sets.

In the 2001 Archives Autograph Football set Jim Brown is listed. That card doesn't exist either.

In the 2001 Heritage Baseball Autograph set the Larry Doby and Eddie Mathews cards do not exist.

Anyway, best of luck on completing this great autograph set.

• Options
    Tribefan

Thanks for confirming my suspicions regarding Keith Hernandez. You have a great set. I was blown away by the number of 10s you snagged on your submissions. At one point, I had 6 of the 12 tens in my set and then boom there were suddenly over 30 of them.

If we, as a group (you, Farmkidd, and me) asked to remove Hernandez, they might. I think we also need to bump Gossage to a weight of 2 (all Hall of Famers should be at least 2) and I think the Don Larsen card should receive a bump to a 4 or 5 as well.

Thanks

Randy
  • Options
    I just put 11 of these cards in a box and sent them to PSA using the Feb. Special $14/5 days/$500. You can bet I will be watching the online location tracker nonstop. I hope I can sleep at night knowing I have some expensive cards being thrown around in some delivery truck. The biggie SP/50s are MAYS, BANKS, and BRETT. I hope to have the grades pop by the middle of next week, and will post most of them. I will as always post scans upon arrival.

Pebbly, I (Registry set #3) will write and send an email addressed to PSA concerning K. Hernandez and the weighting issues you (Registry Set #2) have, they make sense to me. If you add your take and forward it to Tribefan (Registry set #1), he could add his thoughts and forward the whole thing to PSA customer service.

Charlie

PS I got second place on ebay for a Holtzman auto. You don't see Holtzman cards go for $77 too often!!
  • Options
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 16 WILLIE MAYS
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 67 WILLIE McCOVEY
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 164 WADE BOGGS
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 165 RYNE SANDBERG
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 169 KIRBY PUCKETT
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 30 DUKE SNIDER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 41 ERNIE BANKS
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 45 HARMON KILLEBREW
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 148 ROBIN YOUNT
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 166 DON MATTINGLY
    NEAR MINT 7 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 144 GEORGE BRETT

I was hoping to average 8.5 so I came up just short. The Brett got a 7 and that is not a huge suprise to me, but thought it might pull an 8 or 7.5 if I got lucky. I am also suprised I didn't get a single 10. I thought the Boggs was the best candidate.

Scans will be up when they get to me!!

• Options
    Here is the slabbed image of the Banks card that I posted in raw form earlier in this thread.

• Options
    Farmkidd

Decent grades. Nice 9 on the Mays. The Banks certainly looks better than an 8.

I have three (Eckersley, Winfield, and McCarver) ready to go to PSA, but am waiting for three more to get to 6 for my membership freebies. I lost out on the last Hershiser that went for $90, which was about $20 more than I anticipated.

I sold a PSA 8 Holtzman for $80 last year.

Where are you picking up the toughies? Have you had them all along, or are purchasing them from somewhere? I think I've seen maybe 2 or 3 for sale since last summer.

Thanks

Randy

• Options
    I just bought a Holtzman PSA 8 for just under $80 last month. It was the first already slabbed TAA I ever bought. I got the majority of my collection 2001-2002 on ebay after they were released. I kept them raw since, picking up maybe 5 per year 2003-2008. I got interested in T206 last spring as I realized that they were approaching their centennial. For authenticity sake, I stuck with graded versions. Finally, I thought I should protect the Archives Autos, so I bought the PSA subscription. I still have about 15-20 so send in.

It still amazes me how much interest these always seem to get. Rarely does even a common go without 2-3+ bids on ebay. PSA population reports show each card has about 5-7 graded.

• Options
    Just got mail... found out why this card got a 7.5 It had a small 1/8in long indent (like a fingernail indent) near the left bottom corner. Can't see it on the scan, otherwise the card was sharp all the way around. I threw in some oddballs as well, see the lone PSA 10 from the submission.

• Options
    I am posting a recently graded card from the set...

• Options
    Bought some cards recently on ebay, but yet to have them graded. Here is the only graded example I have sent in the past few months.

• Options
    Sent in 7 tough ones (PSA9, PSA6, and five PSA8s) A little dissapointing, but at least they are now well protected. I was hoping to see three or four 9s and maybe one 10.
    imageimage

Sitting on 4 that book for less than $100 so I will wait for a PSA Special to send and try to get a couple more that I need, It is getting really tough now that I am approaching 90%.
  • Options
    Very pleased with this last submission. The grades were very solid, they lifted my GPA and it put me over 90% for my registry set. Scans will be posted here and in the registry when they arrive.

GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 106 SAL BANDO
    GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 120 BOB WATSON
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 57 FRANK ROBINSON
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 64 JIM PERRY
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 98 TONY PEREZ
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 117 GRAIG NETTLES
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 154 MARK FIDRYCH
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 163 LEE SMITH
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 167 JOE CARTER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 89 MICKEY LOLICH
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 93 BERT CAMPANERIS
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 97 LUIS APARICIO
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 124 BERT BLYLEVEN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 126 GEORGE FOSTER
  • Options
    Pictures!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Very nice set, Farmkidd, I am working on the football version... down to the shortest of the short prints now and waiting patiently for them to show up.

Snorto~
  • Options
    I just got back my worst submission of these 2001 Autos. I think I got a really tough grader. Only one 9?!?!

EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 14 BOB BOONE
    NEAR MINT+ 7.5 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 27 BOBBY SHANTZ
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 54 LINDY McDANIEL
    MINT 9 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 71 JIM MALONEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 81 BOOG POWELL
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 86 RICO CARTY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 87 WILLIE HORTON
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 91 WILBUR WOOD
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 106 SAL BANDO
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 111 HAL McRAE
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 113 ROY WHITE
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 123 DARRELL EVANS
    NEAR MINT 7 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 131 RON CEY
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 133 GEORGE HENDRICK
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 137 GARY MATTHEWS
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 155 DENNY MARTINEZ
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 158 WILLIE HERNANDEZ

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    If anyone reading this needs the Santo, I have it up on the Bay right now, ending Thursday night.

Spammylink
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Only one "O" in Topps. image
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Grades popped after a long time since my last submission. Quite a bit happened since I last updated this set in the registry regarding the 2001 Topps archives autograph set. A new set was added in march so there are 6 total on the registry. SMR magazine did an article about the set which was awesome to see a new set get some mention in the magazine instead of exclusively vintage sets.

NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 3 YOGI BERRA Card US
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 75 LOU BROCK Card US (first graded)
    GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 143 DAVE WINFIELD Card US
    GEM MINT 10 2001 TOPPS ARCHIVES AUTOGRAPHS 149 DENNIS ECKERSLEY Card US

If anyone has a lead on the whereabouts of an Aaron, Musial, Yaz, or Swoboda; I would love to know.

As always, I will post pics when I get them back from PSA
  • Options
    Farmkidd

The only Yaz I have ever seen is the one I have (although I see that 2 have been graded). Aarons pop up every once in a while, but go for serious cash. Musials used to come up fairly regularly, but I have not seen one for 3-4 years. I have one of the PSA 9 Swobodas. I wouldn't guess they are that difficult, but I haven't been looking for one either.

I need a Bench and wouldn't mind upgrading my Dick Allen or Jack Clark. Maybe we could work something out.

Thanks

Randy
    pebblyjack
  • Options
    Wow, it still amazes me how this set remains so popular on ebay. You still rarely see slabbed cards show up.

Ebay Listing for Bob Gibson

I only need two for my complete set, but I never see them up on eBay. But the commons(minor stars) come up all the time as raw cards.