Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another coin I know nothing about-- "Hillanus Sanctus 1795" coin

Again, my father in law showed me a coin that he bought on some trip. The obverse says "Hillanus Sanctus" and the date is 1795. I am not sure what country it is even from. Does anyone know anything about this coin? I doubt that it is excessively rare, but if so, please let me know!
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any additional info on this one? Image? Any portrait? Other script? Is it copper? Sounds like a Conder token?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    The coin was really hard to read, but I think it was silver and the writing said: Franc-Lud-D-EPE-AM-WIR-SIRFOD. I could be wrong on the writing, but that is what it looked like.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Latin inscription index at the back of the 1700's Krause proved most useful in finding this coin. In this case, it was the ruler's name that helped the most.

It's a silver schilling from the German state of the Bishopric of Wurzburg, KM# 438.

Obverse: coat of arms, FRANC. LUD. D. G. EP. BAM. & WIR S. R. I. P. F. O. D. (Franz Ludwig, by grace of God Bishop of Bamberg & Wurzburg, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire, Duke of East Franconia). 1795 was the last year of reign of this particular prince-bishop.

Reverse: Saint Kilian, patron saint of Wurzburg, with his name SANCTUS KILIANUS around.

This one on CoinArchives in aUnc sold for $115 in 2006. My Krause (2002 ed.) gives a CV of $10 in Fine, $20 in VF.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Latin inscription index at the back of the 1700's Krause proved most useful in finding this coin. In this case, it was the ruler's name that helped the most.

It's a silver schilling from the German state of the Bishopric of Wurzburg, KM# 438.

Obverse: coat of arms, FRANC. LUD. D. G. EP. BAM. & WIR S. R. I. P. F. O. D. (Franz Ludwig, by grace of God Bishop of Bamberg & Wurzburg, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire, Duke of East Franconia). 1795 was the last year of reign of this particular prince-bishop.

Reverse: Saint Kilian, patron saint of Wurzburg, with his name SANCTUS KILIANUS around.

This one on CoinArchives in aUnc sold for $115 in 2006. My Krause (2002 ed.) gives a CV of $10 in Fine, $20 in VF. >>

That's the coin!! Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freedonian

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.