Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did anyone read the Asylum article about the Special Edition of the Adams Comitia Americana book?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I really think I am a numismatic nerd, because as I was reading the Asylum article about the special edition of the John Adams Comitia Americana book, I was getting worked up into a frenzy. Reading such details as the stitching of the binding, the buttery soft Corinthian leather, and the specifics of the type of paper used, including the "hot type", got me pretty excited. And I won't even mention the custom clamshell box, covered in silky smooth Japanese silk.

Did anyone else read this article and think, "wow, this is pretty interesting"? It's too bad the book costs $2,000, or else I would have been all over it.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw one about a month ago. It is a thing of beauty. You are not really buying a book but more a work of art, the ne plus ultra of the bookbinder's craft.

I thought long and hard about buying one but in the end decided I would rather have the regular edition plus a whole bunch of extra cash to purchase other research materials. However, the Morris edition may well be a better financial investment. It will play not only to numismatists but also to pure book collectors. I am told that there is a standing list of buyers who subscribe to every Morris emission, regardless of the topic.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    For the past few months my Esylum has been unreadable, computer gibberish. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For the past few months my Esylum has been unreadable, computer gibberish. image >>

Sorry to hear that, but this thread is about the good, old fashioned Asylum, printed on actual paper, that you can hold in your hand!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    For the past few months my Esylum has been unreadable, computer gibberish

Perhaps you should e-mail Wayne to resolve the issue. I know a few people have had a problem with reading the new format. It may be something simple to fix or perhaps it could be sent to you in another format. Just a thought...

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Did anyone here buy the Deluxe Edition?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That price will get you a really nice original Crosby, or most of an original Maris.

I added up what I spent on books in 2008 and scared myself, and not one cost $2000. That said, that one is nice!!!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to collect books - first editions, signed, etc - and I would sometimes go after special editions such as this. But they cost so much that I was always afraid I was going to damage the book after I bought it. Leaving it on the shelf behind some protective glass made it pretty boring for me and I decided I could use my money in better, more enjoyable ways.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file