Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Presidential Dollar Complete Variety Set - Hits 56 Coins for 2007 !!

This has got to be the largest registry set for one year.
Anything else out there that comes close?

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim: I will respond here as it appears (to me at least) there is a bit of "collector burn out" right now. With gas at close to $5/gallon here in S. CA, the stock market down 20% in the past 9 months and layoffs all over the place, things are tough right now for a lot of folks -I know I don't have to tell you.

If things were different, this 56 coin Presidential Dollar set might be the "talk of the ultra modern town". But, under present conditions, only a few very dedicated collectors can pursue many of the great coins that comprise this 56 coin set. Indeed, the competition between you and "cotton candy" on this set was some of the best last minute "drama" of nearly any modern registry set and, in the end, congratulations on pulling out the #1 standing for this set. When the economy improves, it is possible a few more collectors might take on the challenge of this neat set and the very low pop 1 and 2 coins might become highly sought after coins in such an event - of course, only time will tell.

In any event, it looks like 2008 might be quite a roller coaster event for this set and you surely have your work cut out for you to remain in that # 1 slot. But, I know you love this set and intend to do everything you can to do just that. Good luck in 2008!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭

<< <i>This has got to be the largest registry set for one year.
    Anything else out there that comes close? >>

Actually there is a larger one. The Morgan dollar super set requires 88 coins for the year 1878. However, the number drops significantly for all the following years.
    I can not help thinking if the trend continues, the presidential varieties set will eventually require about 672 coins before it ends. That will be a pretty large set, and a very interesting one.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    Thanks.
    The economy has taken a big hit with fuel at record highs. So, Extra money is diminishing for most.
    I was just surprised at the rapid additions to the set.

When I began the set, I thought this could be a FUN set. Lets see, 3 coins per presidents @ 4 presidents per year = 12 coins including proofs per year.
    Now, we are at 64 coins, If you include the FS and Blue Label Proof Presidents!

WOW! What a ride and some very stiff competition by "Cotton Candy" fcpowell !

I never expected the fierce battle at the end, but it was down to the wire.
    Several coins were placed in my sets only a day or two before the end.

2007 was a crazy year for the Presidential Dollars!

sonoranmonsoon, I did not realize that 88 coins for the morgan dollars for one year!
    So, it looks like the 2007 Presidential Dollars fall way short of that.
    And so far, the 2008 coins seem to be yielding less errors than 2007 did.
  • Options
    also, i think when they move some of the edge lettering, less errors will be found...however, the 2007 and 2008 sets being the only years under compliance with the bill congress wrote to start with, i think we will all be happy by the end of the series. congrats again jim. congrats to justin as well. yall did excellent this year!!! but, i will never yield on my proof sets....i think they are the only sets i can stay number 1 in (LOL)
    ryan
  • Options
    oh, was that morgan set added this year or has it always been that many coins?
  • Options

<< <i>oh, was that morgan set added this year or has it always been that many coins? >>

That set is about 3 years old. It came about shortly after PCGS started to slab VAMS.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>oh, was that morgan set added this year or has it always been that many coins? >>

That set is about 3 years old. It came about shortly after PCGS started to slab VAMS. >>

Morgan Dollar - SUPER Set ( 88 coins needed for 1878 alone!) WOW !!
  • Options
    I used to collect VAMS, as an offshoot to my Morgan collection. When I decided to sell my VAMS I think my Morgan supersetset was ranked #3 (depending on how many sets Lloyd wanted to publish at any given moment, LOL), somewhere in the high 80% completion area. A couple of things made me decide to stop collecting sets requiring lots of varieties. A robberry and a building project sucking my disposible cash made me decide to reign things in a bit. I wanted to make sure whatever I collected would fit in my two large safe deposit boxes at the bank. I finally decided to focus only on the complete dollar set. I felt PCGS was starting to slab too many varieties, which could eventually reduce collector interest. It makes sense from their position to create demand for new slabs, but I was in the middle of variety hell with my collection. Vams are being discovered at alarming rates, hundreds a year. I was getting concerned that the registry would get so overwhelmed, that new collectors would not even attempt to attack the set, eventually shinking demand. I actually got concerned that the Morgan Super set would soon require over 1000 coins. Of course that did not happen, but I think I still got out when the popularity was probably peaking. (by the way, the VAM guys I met on this board are simply great, the best bunch you will ever want to know).

I think the Presidendials could be a very fun and exciting set to collect, but have some concerns about the quantity of varieties being encapsolated now. If the trend continues, oversaturation in terms of numbers could be a problem for future new collectors trying to start the set. This does not affect the current group of collectors that started from the beginning. But a few years down the line, a lot of collectors may avoid trying to start the set, because completion may seem impossible at a decent grade.

That is why I went back to basics, the complete dollar set only requires the generic mint marks and MAJOR varieties. (although they are a bit heavy on varieties for early dollars.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to a whole new generation of Presidential error coins in 2009 folks as anytime the mint has to use the same planchet types for different dollars such as the Sacajawea, Native American, and Presidentail Dollars, in the same facility, there's always gonna be something that gets screwed up somewhere along the line.

Congrats Jim! Your set makes me wonder why I even try..................image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm looking forward to a whole new generation of Presidential error coins in 2009 folks as anytime the mint has to use the same planchet types for different dollars such as the Sacajawea, Native American, and Presidentail Dollars, in the same facility, there's always gonna be something that gets screwed up somewhere along the line.

Congrats Jim! Your set makes me wonder why I even try..................image >>

Lee,

2009 should be interesting for the dollars. I want a partial edge lettering Sac dollar! Will the lettering be the exact same on all of the dollars?

Or a MEL Sac dollar?

The best would be edge lettering with IGWT on the 2009 dollar by mistake.

Thanks Lee, You have a nice Pres set as well.