Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My box of 20... (with pictures)

Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
(I will update this thread with more pictures soon)

My recent visit to the US has, besides lots of great pleasure and new sights also completed my first set of 20 graded coins. Set is not really a good word, but at least its 20 coins.

18 Coins are graded by PCGS and 2 by ANACS. On my US trip to California, 7 new certified coins were bought. Comments on the coins/grades are welcome as usualimage.

1. 1906 IHC, PCGS PR64RB Rattler holder
One of my favorite coins and in my collection the longest time for this box. Very nice Cameo obverse, color is at least 80% red. I like this one
imageimage

2. 1953 Lincoln Cent, PCGS MS65RD
Not worth a lot, but a gift from a forum member a couple of years ago

3. 1838 Half Dime, PCGS MS63
One of my favorite coins of the Half Dime collection, very original and nice
imageimage

4. 1842 Half Dime, PCGS AU58
Very nice coin, bought from a forum member
imageimage

5. 1843 Half Dime, PCGS MS63
My favorite half dime, V-6a, repunched date and possible finest known. Early die state and beautiful dark blue color
imageimage

6. 1847 Half Dime, PCGS AU58
Original grey survaces I didn't like at first, but I have started to appreciate the coin more over time
imageimage

7. 1854 Arrows Half Dime, PCGS AU58
A new purchase, very nice with a strong strike and original color
imageimage

8. 1857 Half Dime, PCGS AU58
Another new purchase, a little lighter in color but overall similar to # 7
imageimage

9. 1858-O Half Dime, PCGS AU58
Another coin bought from a forum member. Probably dipped but now starting to retone
imageimage

10. 1862 Half Dime, PCGS MS64
A very dark coin but with some color when tilted. Very original and a good strike for the date
imageimage

11. 1871 Half Dime, PCGS MS64
My first seated coin purchase ever and a coin I've loved ever since. PL survaces under original toning. Very, very nice
imageimage

12. 1946-S Roosevelt Dime, PCGS MS66FB
From the Omaha Bank Hoard and my only pedigreed coin. White

13. 1955-S Roosevelt Dime, PCGS MS65
A white coin and if I remember from a giveaway a few years ago

14. 1878-S Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS64 OGH
An original Morgan Dollar with a strong strike. A near miss 65 by today's standards
imageimage

15. 1879-S Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS64
Another new coin, strong strike and full white

16. 1881-O Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS62
A gift from a forum member, given to me just before I left the states again. PQ for the grade, and the bottom 30% of the reverse is rainbow toned

17. 1882-S Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS64
A coin with the most amazing luster I have ever seen on a morgan dollar. White

18. 1885-O Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS63
Nothing special, but the only PCGS graded coin I ever bought in Europe

19. 1900-O/CC Morgan Dollar, ANACS VG8
Bought because I just wanted to have an example of the variety. Nice grey color

20. 1849 $5 Moffat & Co, ANACS F15 (reverse lamination)
Highlight of my trip to the US. Bought raw for a good price, submitted to ANACS and got it back in time to take it back with me. A circulated territorial gold coin with lots of dirt and stories to tell. I absolutely love the coin

As said, comments are welcome. Most of this collection was bought over the last 2 years and with my limited budget, I'm proud of itimage.

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Lovely collection! I remember the thread about that Moffat $5. Awesome coin!
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    NHSBaseballNHSBaseball Posts: 2,470
    Dennis,
    I am in LOVE with that 1843- what a gorgeous Half Dime! I would love to see it in hand. You have a very nice group, but the 1843 absolutely pops off the screen. Man, I would love to own that coin!

The Moffat and Co. ranks high on the coolness meter as well. These are absolutely my favorite posts. Well done!
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one problem with this collection- some of them are not half dimes! Seriously, it's a very nice group, and a good start on a complete Seated H10c set.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Dennis, your half-Dime set....I mean your Box of 20 image is really great.

I love that territorial gold coin also, keep it for as long as you can because I know you'll kick yourself if you ever decide to sell it.

Keep us posted with any new purchases and adventures along the way. image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Box o' 20, there! I love the 1838 half dime, and you're right about the stories the Moffat must have to tell. I'm glad you enjoyed the US. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Regarding the 78-S Morgan, it doesn't look like a near-miss 65 to me from the pictures at the moment. Once upon a time, maybe, but not now.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Box of Twenty.

The IH cent is my favorite althought, thanks to threads like this, I'm really starting to appreciate the beauty of original seated coinage.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    You have exquisite taste.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent group. I especially like the 1838 Half Dime PCGS MS63. Also cool color on the 1857 Half Dime.

Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    took patience to build that set.......very nice
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>Regarding the 78-S Morgan, it doesn't look like a near-miss 65 to me from the pictures at the moment. Once upon a time, maybe, but not now. >>

That is the sellers picture, which is not very good. In hand it looks much better.

Thanks to all for the nice commentsimage. Except for the coins bought on this trip, all were bought over the internet without seeing the coins in hand. Luckily enough most worked out well.

Dennis
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love those baby seated.
  • Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    What a great box of 20 Dennis. It was a pleasure to have you over and so much fun to take you around and see so many sights I hadn't seen in awhile myself. Funny how we travel around and go to other states and countries to vacation. Sometimes it takes a visitor such as yourself to help a "local" appreciate how many great things there are at one's home too.

You added some pretty neat coins while you were here and I enjoyed getting to see some of these in hand. It was fun and I miss your company already. Take care buddy and hopefully we shall see each other soon. If the Euro will stop going up maybe I can make it there. Have to use a bike and train though and camp out. LOL image

Glenn
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    We haven't had too many threads like these lately, so up it goesimage
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins and post image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set. Congrats and looking forward to seeing the next box of 20. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file