Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Have the 2008 PSA set registry winners been announced yet?

The e-mail received on June 12th said the winners will be announced at the end of June. Any word yet?

Rgs,

Greg M.
Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well i would assume if you meet the qualifications and were number one after the deadline that you will win an award.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>well i would assume if you meet the qualifications and were number one after the deadline that you will win an award. >>

Jay,

I meant the winners for the listed categories (e.g. best vintage set of the year).

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I think i have the 1986 STAR Carew set locked for sure...image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    they'll probably announce next week, same timetable as last year

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    AGREE--------then they will begin posting the blue 2008 icons ,,,,, and ?? . Some of the most serious awards are likely to be announced at the LUNCHEONimage
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    I would assume they would make the big awards at the National. I am sure your hoping for the HOF auto set!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

<< <i>I would assume they would make the big awards at the National. I am sure your hoping for the HOF auto set!! >>

Jay,

I'm that obvious?? image

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    greg,

i would be happy to see it one of the chosen as well. maybe then we would get some SMR attention. also it would be a point of pride to be that close to a set that would win as well.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jay,

I would love to win the specialty set of the year for personal pride but also to bring attention to a very underappreciated set. As far as I know, no autographed set has ever won in any of the categories. Maybe this will be the year!

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jay,

I would love to win the specialty set of the year for personal pride but also to bring attention to a very underappreciated set. As far as I know, no autographed set has ever won in any of the categories. Maybe this will be the year!

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg, unfortunately I can tell you for sure that your set was not selected as "Best Overall Specialty Set of the Year".

While nothing official has been announced, a few have been leaked, and it IS a football set that won again this year. But doesn't belong to you or me.image

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Jay,

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg, unfortunately I can tell you for sure that your set was not selected as "Best Overall Specialty Set of the Year".

While nothing official has been announced, a few have been leaked, and it IS a football set that won again this year. But doesn't belong to you or me.image

Jason >>

Jason,

Thanks for being the bearer of bad news image I wonder which set one....PM me if you don't mind.

What I think hurts the HOF auto set is the fact that it will likely never be 100% complete...as at least 10 to 12 autographs are currently impossible on a card. Oh well....

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    greg,

another thing that might hurt it is that it is still quite possible to get many of the autos in a grade of 9-10 with out much problem. ie many "newer" auto'd cards are used.

jay
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    I was told that another one of my sets was going into the Hall of Fame.

I am most interested in what collector(s) will go into the Hall.

Last year I offered my two cents to Joe that it should be both Don Spence and Steve Solloway and low and behold it happened. This year a tougher call.

I haven't studied this but off the top of my head I would say Ireland favorite and then perhaps MOSH and Rakosi.

Just a guess though.

Jim
  • Options
    I would also throw one more name into the mix--Carl Albero--The Duke of Mint.
  • Options
    If the Fight4olddc NFL HOF RC set isn't put into the set HOF this year, something is REALLY wrong with the voting/selection process..That is a multi-million dollar set, by far the #1 set of the most collected football set on the entire Set Registry...

PSA 9 Nagurski RC alone should warrant PSA Set HOF consideration...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Jon Isaacson (Fight4oldDC) - All-Time Great Quarterbacks - Best Overall Specialty Set of the Year

Football card continue to pick up steam in the marketplace and one of the areas to pick up the most has been the All-Time Great categories such as running backs, wide receivers and this one – quarterbacks. Just think of all the key quarterback rookies over decades of football card production. From the 1948 Leaf Sammy Baugh to the 1965 Topps Joe Namath to the 1984 Topps John Elway rookie, all 28 cards needed to complete it are important. The set spans nearly 70 years of card manufacturing and several of the necessary components are tough to locate in top grades. This is part of what makes this award-winning set so remarkable. With an overall set rating of 8.98, it remains well above those in pursuit of its excellence.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Dear Set Registry Members,

With over 36,000 sets registered at the time of the awards deadline selecting the final award winners has become an enourmous challenge for our judges. The Registry is now home to some of the finest sportscard, non-sports cards, and memorabilia sets ever assembled. The awards were given to registrants based on, but not limited to the following criteria: set popularity, difficulty, grade average, completion percentage, domination, and degree of competition within the set category.

This year we are proud to announce that William P. Bengen is the inductee into the PSA Collector Hall of Fame. William was the recipient of the Best Collection award in 2007.

The following are being inducted into the PSA Set Registry Hall of Fame for outstanding individual sets:

Scott. D. Ireland Collection - 1915 Cracker Jack Baseball

Scott. D. Ireland Collection - 1934 Goudey Baseball

The Duke of Mint - 1952 Topps Baseball (Basic)

Charles M. Merkel - 1953 Topps Baseball

Donald E. Spence - The Lone Star Collection - 1951 Bowman Baseball

Jim Crandell (Davalillo) - 1957-58 Topps Basketball

William Gray - 1948 Leaf Football (Basic)

GHR Collection - 1952 Bowman Small Football

Benjamin Martello (The Hammer Collection) - 1965 Topps Tall Boy Football

Don Louchios - 1932 US Caramel Misc Sports

Don Louchios - 1933 Goudey Sport Kings Misc Sports

Al Glaser (SuperbowlTicketCollector) - Super Bowl Tickets (Basic)

To read descriptions of each set, click here:
    http://www.psacard.com/setregistry/awards_halloffame.html

The following sets were selected to receive top honors:

BEST COLLECTION OF THE YEAR: Michael Rakosi

BEST SET OF THE YEAR: Donald E. Spence - The Lone Star Collection - The Big Three Baseball Mega Set

BEST ROOKIE SET OF THE YEAR: Logan R. Ward (The Stock Car Museum) - 1989 Maxx Racing

BEST PRE-WAR VINTAGE BASEBALL SET OF THE YEAR: Jim Blumenthal (JimB's E93) - 1910 Standard Caramel (E93)

BEST POST-WAR VINTAGE BASEBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1948-1959): Larry Robbins (l.r.'s 1957 Vintage Baseball) - 1957 Topps (Basic)

BEST VINTAGE BASEBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1960-1971): Thomas M. Martin - 1968 Topps (Basic)

BEST MODERN BASEBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1972-PRESENT): Brent T. Richards (Brent R's PSA 84 D Basic) - 1984 Donruss (Basic)

BEST VINTAGE BASKETBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1971 AND OLDER): Art Sainsbury (GoodLieu's) - 1948 Bowman

BEST MODERN BASKETBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1972-PRESENT): D'Orsay Bryant, III, M.D. & Butch Thibault (Network8687) - 1986-87 Fleer Sticker

BEST VINTAGE FOOTBALL SET OF THE YEAR (PRE-1960): Jim Ragsdale (Bigimmi's) - 1950 Topps Felt Backs

BEST VINTAGE FOOTBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1960-1971): GHR Collection - 1962 Topps

BEST MODERN FOOTBALL SET OF THE YEAR (1972-PRESENT): Jim Ragsdale (Bigimmi's) - 1977 Topps Mexican

BEST PRE-WAR VINTAGE HOCKEY SET OF THE YEAR: Julius Narancsik (Northern Lights) - 1911-12 C55 (Basic)

BEST VINTAGE HOCKEY SET OF THE YEAR (1948-1971): Dave and Lori Nicklas (The Hockey Collection) - 1964-65 Topps

BEST MODERN HOCKEY SET OF THE YEAR (1972-PRESENT): R. Clark - 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee

BEST VINTAGE MISC SPORTS SET OF THE YEAR (1971 AND OLDER): Ronald A. Sparschu (RAS) - 1951 Topps Ringside Boxing

BEST MODERN MISC SPORTS SET OF THE YEAR (1972-PRESENT): Pat Smith (pls) - 1982 Donruss Golf

BEST PLAYER SET OF THE YEAR: Donald E. Spence - The Lone Star Collection - Willie Mays Basic Set

BEST TOPPS SPECIALTY SET OF THE YEAR: Don Louchios - 1951 Topps Connie Mack All-Stars Baseball

BEST OVERALL SPECIALTY SET OF THE YEAR: Jon Isaacson (Fight4oldDC) - All-Time Great Quarterbacks

BEST REGIONAL SET OF THE YEAR: Anthony Nex (Griffins) - 1958 Dodgers Bell Brand Baseball

BEST ODDBALL SET OF THE YEAR: West Coast - 1960 Armour Coins Baseball

BEST VINTAGE NON-SPORTS SET OF THE YEAR (1971 AND OLDER): Kevin Mundelius (Bunky's Best) - 1959 Fleer Three Stooges

BEST MODERN NON-SPORTS SET OF THE YEAR: Luke's Wackys - 1973 Topps Wacky Packages Series 1- White Back

BEST TICKET SET OF THE YEAR: Al Glaser (All-StarTicketCollector) - Baseball All-Star Game (1933-Present)

BEST AUTOGRAPH SET OF THE YEAR: The Neil B. Downey and Sons Collection - 1989 Perez-Steele Celebration Postcards

In addition, over 3,400 members will receive the "Best of the Registry" certificate for being at least 90% complete and in the top spot! (If you are a "Best of the Registry" certificate winner and would like a different name printed on your certificate than name you use for your set on the website, please email Set Registry customer service (mailto:setregistry@collectors.com) no later than Monday, July 14th so that we can make the change for you.)

To view the list of winners for the "Best of the Registry" certificates and descriptions of the award-winning sets, click here:
    http://www.psacard.com/setregistry/awards_2008.html

It could take a week or two for all the award icons to be placed by your sets on the website. It may take 6-8 weeks before you receive your award in the mail. Your patience is appreciated! For those attending the PSA Set Registry luncheon on August 1st at the National in Rosemont, we will be presenting the major award winners with their plaques.

For information about the 2009 PSA Set Registry Awards, click here:
    http://www.psacard.com/setregistry/awards.html

Congratulations to all the 2008 Set Registry Award winners! You have truly achieved excellence.

Thank you for your support of the PSA Set Registry.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager

• Options
    Congrats to Bill Bengen and to all the set registry winners on their great sets--many unbelievably impressive sets here.

Jim
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Nice going on the autograph set to Neil Downey (and Sons)!!
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    congrats to the winners, especially NEIL, when you choose a set you go all the way!
  • Options
    NeilDowneyNeilDowney Posts: 840 ✭✭
    Hi Guys, Thanks for your kind words. This award really means a lot to me. As many of you know, I am not one of the many collectors with deep pockets and vast amounts of collecting funds (not that there is anything wrong with that). It is great to see that PSA and PSA/DNA really do hear the barks of the little dogs too. Congrats to all of the award winners and everyone that still get a kick out of collecting. For all of the high profile collectors, you truly have incredible sets. For the rest of us, this proves that we all have hope to someday get one of these awards for the mantle. Neil
  • Options
    cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭
    congrats to all the winners.
    as i mentioned in the other thread below i think it really sucks how PSA moved the completion % up to 90% from 75% for award eligibility. just my opinion...
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭

<< <i>Hi Guys, Thanks for your kind words. This award really means a lot to me. As many of you know, I am not one of the many collectors with deep pockets and vast amounts of collecting funds (not that there is anything wrong with that). It is great to see that PSA and PSA/DNA really do hear the barks of the little dogs too. Congrats to all of the award winners and everyone that still get a kick out of collecting. For all of the high profile collectors, you truly have incredible sets. For the rest of us, this proves that we all have hope to someday get one of these awards for the mantle. Neil >>

Neil like you I am also a collector on a budget and know first hand the patience and hard work required to obtain and collect high grade sets in the registry. My 1948 Bowman Basketball set won the 2008 Vintage Basketball set of the year and for me it is the apex of my collecting endeavors. But I could not have done it by myself and owe a great amount of thanks to the "King of Basketball" Mike Rakosi who I emailed about 6 years ago to congratulate him on his '48' set and who answered my email with a Thank you and a offer to help me in my quest to build a top notch set (Which is still a work in progress to this day), we met and have been close friends ever since. Mike like most of the collectors in the registry and on these boards by and large are Personable, knowlegeable and more importantly eager to assist fellow collectors in their efforts. I have met a lot of the great people on these boards and at the last two Conventions (Anaheim/Clevland) and I am looking forward to the Chicago convention. Congrats to all winners in 2008 for your outstanding sets and hope to see you all at the PSA Awards Luncheon.