Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

sure is one sweet 1965 kennedy here

on the bay from a board member too...sure wish i had the bread
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    sweet !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any denomination SMS issue in any Deep Cameo grade is worthy of a "pull back" in my opinion, especially anything from 1965 and any oif the Cents. i realize that these coins and sets standing alone are considered very common by many members here but considering the OP's 1965 coin, there may be perhaps less than 100 coins total with true Deep Cameo surfaces. prices for such coins are already strong enough, given time for the hobby to "catch up" with the conditional rarity of the SMS issues in the better grades, they'll eventually have their day.

it's ironic that the coins and the interesting circumstances that brought them about are scoffed at by so many collectors who pursue more Classic coinage. those same collectors tend to favor such things as DMPL Morgan Dollars and any 19th Century issue with true PL surfaces by placing a premium on those coins. in truth, that sort of stuff is more common than Deep Cameo SMS coinage, especially the 1965 issues and the Cents!!!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Well stated Al.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Freshly graded, too. Showed up in the pop report the week of June 16th.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Freshly graded, too. Showed up in the pop report the week of June 16th.

considering the slight friction on the jawline and the typical weakness at the bottom of the shield perhaps this shoulkd start to turn the tide of prevailing opinion that PCGS is being "tight" right now. from my perspective it's a bit difficult to tell from the pictures which look like the typical LampshadeEffect™ attempting to diffuse the light, giving what looks to me a very unnatural appearance to the coin(s). the technique tends to enhance the mirrors and contrast while also masking imperfections such as ticks and hairlines.

i would expect the coin looks nice, i just wish more sellers would strive for more realistic looking pictures.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...............start to turn the tide of prevailing opinion that PCGS is being "tight" right now. >>

Al, I don't think that PCGS is tight right now as much as I think that many submitters expectations are high.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it has plenty of mirror depth, which in my opinion distinguishes extraordinary from common for the 65. Very tasty.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Al, I don't think that PCGS is tight right now as much as I think that many submitters expectations are high.

as i said, the prevailing opinion.............................how that's arrived at isn't really important, but it's the same song that gets sung year after year after year. i've even joined in the chorus in the past.

Looks like it has plenty of mirror depth

as i said, the LampshadeEffect™ technique tends to enhance the mirrors and contrast while also masking imperfections such as ticks and hairlines. my reply wasn't necessarily saying i thought the coin was overgraded or mis-designated, only that judging from an online picture where this technique is used(or whatever manipulation is used) doesn't show the coin naturally as it really looks. my hunch is that in reality, the coin looks more black/white, has less of a smooth look to the fields, shows flowlines in the fields, has more uniform appearing frost and probably barely shows the jawline friction/frost break. that's the thing with that diffused light set-up and toying with the white balance, it tends to make the coin glow in an unnatural way.

i can't figure out why sellers use it instead of trying to get a picture of what the coin looks like. i will admit to trying the techniques of manipulation but didn't like the results.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see the pictured coin in hand. I suspect that it does not look, in hand, close to what it looks like in the picture. Still, I would think that with a DCAM designation the fields have to be very smooth, black and watery.

I remember a few years ago an R&I Coins photo of a 1965 DCAM SMS Kennedy it was trying to sell for $10,000.00 was posted on the Forums. The picture of that R&I coin sure did get some attention from forumites. The photo showed what looked to be a 1964 DCAM proof Kennedy. I suspect the photo showed the coin in the best condition possible, but in hand it still was a monster.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>...............start to turn the tide of prevailing opinion that PCGS is being "tight" right now. >>

Al, I don't think that PCGS is tight right now as much as I think that many submitters expectations are high. >>

DIdn't James Taylor buy PCGS last week?image

Maybe that's why they are a little loose nowadays.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    hmmm....just hmmm...lol...all i know is me likes the first one

imageimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the R&I Coins 1965 half I remember. In fact, I think Russ was the one who posted the picture a few years ago. Thanks again for your public service Russ.

What is the grade of this coin? Does anyone know if R&I ever sold this coin? If so, how much did it sell for and what has happened to it since? Has it been resold or is it still in the same hands?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file