Home U.S. Coin Forum

Good things in small packages make me smile

DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
Of course a tall cold one will bring a grin as well, image

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that box is in great shape!
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow, that box is in great shape! >>

Edited so I don't get in any trouble.

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

<< <i>imageimage

Something to think about

Stefanie >>

THAT caused me to make a trip to the fridge! THANK YOU !! image

<< <i>I am confused the box says the date 1874 and the medal 1876, why?
    BTW great lookin medal and box! >>

See coindeuce's post.

• garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Way cool image
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1874 date you are referring to is the bottom line of the silkscreen text which indicates the date on which these medals were authorized by Congress: June 16th, 1874. The striking of these medals, along with the striking of the larger medals (57 mm) of the same design commenced after October 31, 1874 as reported by R.W. Julian.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>

The 1874 date you are referring to is the bottom line of the silkscreen text which indicates the date on which these medals were authorized by Congress: June 16th, 1874. The striking of these medals, along with the striking of the larger medals (57 mm) of the same design commenced after October 31, 1874 as reported by R.W. Julian. >>

Thanks coindeuce! I stand corrected. Must have missunderstood the question. Coinsarefun has made me thirsty. image

edited for spieling. image

• coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes DUIguy. We know you've got the beer goggles on tonight.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

<< <i>Yes DUIguy. We know you've got the beer goggles on tonight.image >>

image my pics dat bad huh? image

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    that's class
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the reverse as heavily hairlined as it appears in the pic? Nice medal with lots of history.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Is this from the Presidential auction?
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The 1874 date you are referring to is the bottom line of the silkscreen text which indicates the date on which these medals were authorized by Congress: June 16th, 1874. The striking of these medals, along with the striking of the larger medals (57 mm) of the same design commenced after October 31, 1874 as reported by R.W. Julian. >>

So where does 1876 fit in all of this?

edited, the original poster stated a date of 1876, the coin actually says 1776. image
  • I am also most impressed with the original packaging- that is really a nifty medal. What is bordering the medal and holding it in? Is that some kind of waxed string or rope, or is it corrugated cardboard?
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    after looking at many, many of these and watching some better examples sell for close to $2,000 i have become rather discouraged. there seems to be a growing number of collectors who are as interested in the packaging as they are in the contents, placing a premium on the original box in much the same fashion that we place a premium on the capsule a ccertified coin comes in. it's actually quite perplexing to me, but everyone has their own interests. i still hope to get a nice SC$ size example of this design but i'm now leaning towards a very nice, clean chocolate brown bronze example.

as for the design, these smaller ones always come with a very weak strike, whereas the larger medals tend to be fully struck and actually show Liberty's face. that's odd, i would expect the opposite.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to clear up some of the questions------not to be harsh, but do you guys actually look at this stuff when it's pictured or just think it looks "cool" and simply start slathering on the praise??image

the medal was authorized by an Act of Congress in 1874 and struck for issue at the Centennial of American Independance held in Philadelphia in 1876. if you actually look at the medal and packaging all these questions are answered there.
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There seems to be a growing number of collectors who are as interested in the packaging as they are in the contents, placing a premium on the original box in much the same fashion that we place a premium on the capsule a ccertified coin comes in. it's actually quite perplexing to me, but everyone has their own interests.q]

To counter that opinion, I would say that the King of Siam Box adds at least $1,000,000 to the value of that set.

Would you agree?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file