Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade this 1909 S VDB

Purchased from EBay 1909 S VDB what are you thoughts on grade – thank you! Will reveal PCGS grade after a few posts. I believe this coin might be worth regarding :-)

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't tell the true color from the pic......I'll guess 63RD or RB.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty, I like it alot, but re-garding???? Is it that valuable!!! image

I'll go out on a limb........MS64RB
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't tell the true color from the pic......I'll guess 63RD or RB. >>

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    MS63RBimage
  • Options
    58rb
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    That is from the Gary Reeves sale of his registry collection on E-bay. I won't guess the grade but the overall look of the coin seems to be higher than the grade. The only thing that might be holding it back is the carbon spots on the reverse, but they are not that bad either. Guess you will have to wait until the coin is in-hand to determine. Nonetheless, very solid for the grade and worthy of a sticker!!!

Great pick-up!

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65RB...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    63RB, possible 64RB.
  • Options
    MS64RB

Would you let us know a rough price? Sorry - I'm nosey!

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    It's beautiful no matter what the plastic says. Congratulations on picking up the key! Man, it is a beauty.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>63RB, possible 64RB. >>

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Rb 61 leave it as is. Don't upgrade, drown like the rest of us.
  • Options
    From nosey again - I looked this up on eBay's completed listings and there's a great question and answer forum for this auction.

I agree it could go 64 but disagree with the seller's comments about it being RED. An upgrade to RD won't happen but a 64RB easily could.

Price seems very fair for the buyer and seller also.

Great Coin!
  • Options
    Thank you for replies. Graded PCGS MS63RB purchase price $2716. PCGS price guide is $2200.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS62RB >>

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>2 >>

Graded popolation 1909 S VDB on a scale of 1 to 10 image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    63RB
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    If this is the one I think I'm remembering correctly it's graded 63RB and the seller was making some fantastic claims about how it's really 100% red, that there's no brown, just darker shades of red, and PCGS got it way wrong.....
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is the one I think I'm remembering correctly it's graded 63RB and the seller was making some fantastic claims about how it's really 100% red, that there's no brown, just darker shades of red, and PCGS got it way wrong..... >>

I agree. That seller sure was a puff artist.

It IS a nice coin, a great 63RB !!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is the one I think I'm remembering correctly it's graded 63RB and the seller was making some fantastic claims about how it's really 100% red, that there's no brown, just darker shades of red, and PCGS got it way wrong..... >>

However, the image looks a bit juiced which makes me think the color is indeed RB.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for replies. Graded PCGS MS63RB purchase price $2716. PCGS price guide is $2200. >>

Wow.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it looks right as a 63RB. It's hard to tell from the photos provided but I think there's some slight rub on the cheek, so this could be another AU58 that got the market grade because of the original surfaces. I certainly would not expect it to upgrade on a resubmission.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm posting after the grade was reveiled but 63rb looks right baised on these pics. The strike is there for a higher grade but the color looks splotchy, the hits over the eye are very much in the focal area, and a fair bit of carbon spoting. All of this together = the 63 grade, dont get me wrong I love Lincolns and even with the distractions this is a nice coin and it could someday find its way into a 64 holder, afterall thats what you paid for. Hope you can post some better pics when you receive it.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    So are you going to crack-it and try for the upgrade?

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't tell the true color from the pic......I'll guess 63RD or RB. >>

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well after reading this thread, I'd like to congratulate you and say that you were serious about winning that coin. I'm glad it's with a forum member. Good job on securing the holdings of our national treasures. It's great to know you are here sharing. There is some fierce competition out there.
  • Options

<< <i>So are you going to crack-it and try for the upgrade? >>

Will have to wait for coin in hand before final decision. Given the responses it will have to look much better in hand to warrant a crack and grade.

• Options
    Thank you TwoSides2aCoin perhaps I was to serious about winning that coin but it was the last coin needed to complete a set started thirty-eight years ago.

Wonder how many people go that extra mile when purchasing the last coin to complete a set image
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>Thank you TwoSides2aCoin perhaps I was to serious about winning that coin but it was the last coin needed to complete a set started thirty-eight years ago.

Wonder how many people go that extra mile when purchasing the last coin to complete a set image >>

I hope to be doing the same in 37 years. Congrats again on completing the set. image
    imageRIP
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 813 ✭✭✭
    Without looking 64RB
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for replies. Graded PCGS MS63RB purchase price $2716. PCGS price guide is $2200. >>

Price seems a bit strong. I sold a 64RB at Central States for like $2850 and it was a solid coin
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63RB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file