Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just love the Post Office!! Top this one guys!!!

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
I get home from work and hit the mailbox, there is the famous pink (you have to pick up a package at the PO) slip. I look at the slip in the who sent box and it says, NGC, CU and France. Off to the post office I go. Give the lady the slip and she returns with 2 registered packages and one insured. Scans them in, I sign the slip and I'm on my way. While I'm walking twards the door I'm thinking, I shouldn't have anything coming back from PCGS yet. So I look at the package, and it's addressed to someone else! The post office gave me someone elses PCGS order!

I return to the counter and tell the lady this isn't my box! She says the letter carrier must have seen the PCGS box and grabbed it because you get those all the time! Thanks me for being honest and signs the reggie back in.

So Tom in Addison if your a forum member, I was nice enough to give the PO your PCGS order back!!!
It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you saved the clerk her job
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>you saved the clerk her job >>

No doubt!! She owes you Big Time!!!!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty---You will always wonder what was in that box. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I'd be worried that the postal employees will get wise to what PCGS is, and your mail carrier will sit in his truck and rip open your packages!
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saved the counter clerks job and the person that wrote up the slips. In the DMM that is an automatic firing offence.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marty---You will always wonder what was in that box. image >>

Probably not modern crap image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Probably not modern crap image >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'd be worried that the postal employees will get wise to what PCGS is, and your mail carrier will sit in his truck and rip open your packages! >>

That wouldn't be the smartest thing to to on a PCGS box because they are Registered and the carrier is responsible for the package.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    About a year ago I had the PO give me a package that was ment for my brother. She didn't look at the package number, just the last name and assumed it was my package.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Probably not modern crap image >>

image >>

It was full of Saints that make Jay's look sad!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!image

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very noble of you OP. Are you going to contact the owner? I had two unc. rolls of ASEs that I sold to a buyer in CA. Buyer wasn't home,

package returned to the PO, package lost in the PO, lost in the PO! Luckily it was over insured, and I lost nothing.

40 oz. of .999, someone had a good day.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Very noble of you OP. Are you going to contact the owner? >>

I called PCGS customer service and asked if they would call the owner.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My very first submission to PCGS were the 8 freebies for joining just a couple years ago. After waiting and waiting, I get the pink slip in the mail box also. I head to the post office, get my package and open it up in the car right there in the parking lot. Turns out, it's a box of 8 coins just like mine, but full of MS gold eagles and two really high grade morgans. Not even close to the cheapie proofs & morgans I had submitted. Long story short, I called the collector who's coins they were (in Conneticut I think) He had my coins as well... We got it straightened out, PCGS apologized for the mix-up, paid for return shipping and gave me a few extra free submissions for the trouble.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called PCGS customer service and asked if they would call the owner.

They got right on it.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

Maybe not. there is now a computer trail that she gave a registered package to the wrong person. --jerry
  • Options
    Just rolled home from the hospital today, and got two packages from TT. Now, remember, I said I got 2 PACKAGES, not pink slips. Letter carrier for my location is out for like 6 months (been out 1 1/2 months already) for some bullsh*t reason. Upon realizing I still had 2 OTHER packages due from them 2 weeks before I went under the knife, I called TT, got tracking numbers, and they both show they were received 3 days after shipping. Don't know why (here it comes, yup, scavengers at the USPS), but the 2 packages I DID get were torn open a bit (look like, or made to look like it was just ripped in shipping, with no 'apology' sticker/card with it, as they normally do in these cases), but all items were accounted for in those 2 that I DID get....totalling $300 combined (for my 7070). The packages I DIDN'T get, and appear 'lost' (remember, they WERE received at the letter carriers facility), consisted of an 1879-S and 1899-S $20 Lib (in one package), and an MS Isabella in the other package. 2 packages worth $300 (including juice/s/h) I DO get, when they are signature confirm, and no slips, just leave 'em in the box (mailbox, single family home, box out front)....yet, my 2 packages worth upwards of $2,600 have just disappeared.

THUSLY, I call TT, they whig out...now, no more TT for me unless I get a P.O. box. They WILL make good on the allegedly 'lost' items, but now, due to the incompetency/thievery of the USPS, I get the boot from TT. Placed a call to the Postmaster General....TRYING to set up those 'cheap, no good, rotten, 4 flushing, low life, snake licking, dirt eating, in-bred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood sucking, dog kissing, brainless, d**kless, hopeless, heartless, fata$$, bug eyed, stiff legged, spotty lipped, worm headed, sack of monkey sh*t' thieves they are.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just rolled home from the hospital today, and got two packages from TT. Now, remember, I said I got 2 PACKAGES, not pink slips. Letter carrier for my location is out for like 6 months (been out 1 1/2 months already) for some bullsh*t reason. Upon realizing I still had 2 OTHER packages due from them 2 weeks before I went under the knife, I called TT, got tracking numbers, and they both show they were received 3 days after shipping. Don't know why (here it comes, yup, scavengers at the USPS), but the 2 packages I DID get were torn open a bit (look like, or made to look like it was just ripped in shipping, with no 'apology' sticker/card with it, as they normally do in these cases), but all items were accounted for in those 2 that I DID get....totalling $300 combined (for my 7070). The packages I DIDN'T get, and appear 'lost' (remember, they WERE received at the letter carriers facility), consisted of an 1879-S and 1899-S $20 Lib (in one package), and an MS Isabella in the other package. 2 packages worth $300 (including juice/s/h) I DO get, when they are signature confirm, and no slips, just leave 'em in the box (mailbox, single family home, box out front)....yet, my 2 packages worth upwards of $2,600 have just disappeared.

THUSLY, I call TT, they whig out...now, no more TT for me unless I get a P.O. box. They WILL make good on the allegedly 'lost' items, but now, due to the incompetency/thievery of the USPS, I get the boot from TT. Placed a call to the Postmaster General....TRYING to set up those 'cheap, no good, rotten, 4 flushing, low life, snake licking, dirt eating, in-bred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood sucking, dog kissing, brainless, d**kless, hopeless, heartless, fata$$, bug eyed, stiff legged, spotty lipped, worm headed, sack of monkey sh*t' thieves they are. >>

That's terrible. Sorry.
  • Options
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She could come up with a story to cover her tracks. In the end, does it come down to being able to delivery the registered package to the correct person in tackt?

I had something similar happen to me about a year ago. I had ordered a few American Buffalo Gold Proof coins from the US Mint. The FedEx door tag said I had 5 boxes. I missed the FedEx truck so I went to the distribution center about an hour away. Well, I didn't really how many coins were in the boxes but on my way home, I looked at the labels and noticed they had given me someone else’s box! I called my wife on the way home and had her look up the guys phone number. I called him immediately. I asked him if he ordered something from the mint and he said he ordered an American Buffalo Gold coin. I let him know I had it and dropped the coin off to him on my way home. He thanked me but I had him open the package and sign a piece of paper saying he received the coin and that I gave it to him. I then called FedEx and they didn't really seem to care. I had them take note that I gave him his package in case he tried to file a claim against them.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just rolled home from the hospital today, and got two packages from TT. Now, remember, I said I got 2 PACKAGES, not pink slips. Letter carrier for my location is out for like 6 months (been out 1 1/2 months already) for some bullsh*t reason. Upon realizing I still had 2 OTHER packages due from them 2 weeks before I went under the knife, I called TT, got tracking numbers, and they both show they were received 3 days after shipping. Don't know why (here it comes, yup, scavengers at the USPS), but the 2 packages I DID get were torn open a bit (look like, or made to look like it was just ripped in shipping, with no 'apology' sticker/card with it, as they normally do in these cases), but all items were accounted for in those 2 that I DID get....totalling $300 combined (for my 7070). The packages I DIDN'T get, and appear 'lost' (remember, they WERE received at the letter carriers facility), consisted of an 1879-S and 1899-S $20 Lib (in one package), and an MS Isabella in the other package. 2 packages worth $300 (including juice/s/h) I DO get, when they are signature confirm, and no slips, just leave 'em in the box (mailbox, single family home, box out front)....yet, my 2 packages worth upwards of $2,600 have just disappeared.

THUSLY, I call TT, they whig out...now, no more TT for me unless I get a P.O. box. They WILL make good on the allegedly 'lost' items, but now, due to the incompetency/thievery of the USPS, I get the boot from TT. Placed a call to the Postmaster General....TRYING to set up those 'cheap, no good, rotten, 4 flushing, low life, snake licking, dirt eating, in-bred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood sucking, dog kissing, brainless, d**kless, hopeless, heartless, fata$$, bug eyed, stiff legged, spotty lipped, worm headed, sack of monkey sh*t' thieves they are. >>

The Postal Service has a serious problem on its hands that goes way beyond sloppiness and/or laziness - employee criminality is on the rise. You expect such behavior elsewhere but not the USA. Overseas charities commonly advise US citizens not to mail anything of value to much of the developing world. In such parts items with any resale value are commonly stolen by the very postal bureaucrats entrusted with delivery of the mail.

Mark
  • Options
    Hi - This is Tom in Addison.

Thanks MadMarty - PCGS graded my 1804 Heraldic Eagle Dollar PR64! I'm glad the USPS didn't have to pick up the insurance tab!

• Options

<< <i>Hi - This is Tom in Addison.

Thanks MadMarty - PCGS graded my 1804 Heraldic Eagle Dollar PR64! I'm glad the USPS didn't have to pick up the insurance tab!

image >>

LOL!!!

• Options
    TT merely requires someome at the residence sign off for their packages. Now, I KNOW noones home when the crooked bast, er, letter carrier gets to my house. I know this as I have been told by more than one carrier that due to location, I will get delivery at approximately the same time every day, as we are at the furthest point away from the facility....so, they can go to the Elks, Eagles, Moose, Fish & Game, VFW, AMVETS (think I covered them all, at least in my state) and drink from 3pm-4:55pm every day and get paid for it (this is not an accusation, this is fact, as I am sure you ALL know....just drive by one thats tucked away from main roads....look at all the white trucks with steering wheels on the passengers side.
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    This doesn't make me feel any better with the post office! image

I live in the country where our mail carrier is not a regular postal person, but one of those contract guys driving their own cars around with a sign that says US Mail on top. How secure do you think those are? I have a problem with the mail carrier leaving my packages that require signatures in my mail box along with the pink slip, and a little post-it note stuck to the pink slip that says to please sign within 2 days and leave in the mailbox for him to pick up. Not too secure!!!

However, I am hesitate to call on him for fear of retaliation. I figured if I called to report him I would probably start losing a package every so often.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of the incident which ocurred in the city of my previous residence(Schenectady, N.Y.) A clerk there placed the delivery notice for me in the wrong P.O. Box. The person renting that box presented the notice to the counter without being challenged for identity. The recipient either signed my name, or their own without either the clerk or the recipient having noticed my name on the package. Fortunately the recipient returned the package to the branch AFTER having opened it and inspecting the contents - which just happened to be a PCGS PR-64CAM 1878 25c. that I had purchased on the BST!!! The branch manager's face turned ashen when I threatened to report this incident to the Postal Inspectors unit.image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>TT merely requires someome at the residence sign off for their packages. Now, I KNOW noones home when the crooked bast, er, letter carrier gets to my house. I know this as I have been told by more than one carrier that due to location, I will get delivery at approximately the same time every day, as we are at the furthest point away from the facility....so, they can go to the Elks, Eagles, Moose, Fish & Game, VFW, AMVETS (think I covered them all, at least in my state) and drink from 3pm-4:55pm every day and get paid for it (this is not an accusation, this is fact, as I am sure you ALL know....just drive by one thats tucked away from main roads....look at all the white trucks with steering wheels on the passengers side. >>

Don't know which part of the country you are in, but around here in Indiana we praise the Almighty Dollar. Most, if not nearly all of the mail carriers never would have the time to do such things since they are worked to death in the name of efficiency (remember, it's all about the Almighty Dollar). Often the routes are longer than 8 hours and they never hire an extra person. So guess what? Someone calls in sick, everyone else has to "pivot" to cover that route.

These days, as a mail carrier, you have to scan something every once in a while to show where you are at. So it wouldn't be possible to go AWOL for hours at a time. My father is a postal carrier so I know these things. You should do your homework before you rant, my friend.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a problem with my PO in the past never giving me the slips. I have had packages returned to Scotland because I never got the pink slips. Now I have my senders send me the tracking so I know when it is in the post office. For awhile the postal clerks at the counter were doubting Thomases when I told them I had registereds in their cage, but got no slip. Now when they see me arrive at the counter, they automatically head for the cage. I get registereds every other day or so, sometimes as many as three a day.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Maybe not. there is now a computer trail that she gave a registered package to the wrong person. --jerry >>

If it wasn't restricted delivery there may not be a problem. It will only be an issue if an audit or search is launched.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For not properly asking for identification that PO clerk oughta be a WalMart greeter IMO.
    But I've heard that Marty makes all the female PO clerks swoon. image
  • Options

<< <i>For not properly asking for identification that PO clerk oughta be a WalMart greeter IMO.
    But I've heard that Marty makes all the female PO clerks swoon. image >>

My PO people all know me and they don't ask for ID.
  • Options

<< <i>For not properly asking for identification that PO clerk oughta be a WalMart greeter IMO.
    But I've heard that Marty makes all the female PO clerks swoon. image >>

Damn straight I do!!!

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For not properly asking for identification that PO clerk oughta be a WalMart greeter IMO. But I've heard that Marty makes all the female PO clerks swoon. image >>

My PO people all know me and they don't ask for ID. >>

Exactly. Humans will make human errors. They knew who Marty was. They just made an error with a package that looked familiar. Familiarity and complacency are two common causes of human error. If they had never seen Marty or a PCGS package before there would have been no error. --Jerry
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I received a package from PSA with a couple of multi thousand dollar stamps last year and the package was in my name.

Only problem is, I have never sent anything to PSA, Never registered with them etc... I called them and they had no clue, it was supposed to go to some bloke in Arizona.

I guess our addresses are in one database for all of Collectors Universe and they must have just randomly picked mine.
  • Options

<< <i>About a year ago I had the PO give me a package that was ment for my brother. She didn't look at the package number, just the last name and assumed it was my package. >>

Sorry to go off-topic, but PRR what sub is that? It looks like a WWII era Gato-class diesel. Is it the USS Drum of Mobile, or maybe a sister ship?
    "College men from LSU- went in dumb, come out dumb too..."
    -Randy Newmanimage
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honesty is the best policy...
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    You know ..if you signed for the package "the Mad One" I wonder if they could figure it out.?!?!!image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Postal Service has a serious problem on its hands that goes way beyond sloppiness and/or laziness - employee criminality is on the rise. You expect such behavior elsewhere but not the USA. >>

Really? I fully expect criminal behavior in the USA.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I had a real head scratcher at the P.O. yesterday. I used PayPal to ship a Flat Rate Priority Box. Well, after I printed the postage, I realized that PayPal only gives you one option for Flat Rate (the standard box). I had used the "Large Flat Rate Box". Instead of $12 and something, I only paid $9.30 plus $2.15 for insurance. So, I tell the lady that I want to buy the extra postage and affix it to the box. She kept coming up with $1.50 difference and I told her that wasn't correct. It should have been $3 or so (I don't remember the cost of the large box). She said that she was applying the insurance towards the difference and I kept saying "why" and "no, no, no", but she just didn't get it. She was trying to do the thing through the computer, which was the problem. I said, "can't I just buy stamps, lick them and then stick them on the box." The clerk next to her (she spoke English) even said, "yes, just let him buy stamps." Then they started arguing. Long story short, I let her put the $1.50 extra, even though I know it will arrive "postage due." It is scary how incompetent some people are at their job.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Ever since I moved from the city to the land of no street lights I like my rural carrier. If I need a MO or stamps or anything the PO can do, he'll do it the next day. No sense dropping dollars on gas when he seems happy to do it. Of course plenty of home grown tomatoes helps grease the wheels.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    onejinxonejinx Posts: 299
    2 years ago my postal carrier left 4 insured boxes of coins out in my front yard on a covered swing. They sat there for 3 days before one of the kids noticed the boxes.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭

<< <i> It is scary how incompetent some people are at their job. >>

My wife was just at the PO early last month mailing a purse she was returning. She almost never ships anything, so I told her to do it 1st class with insurance and delivery confirmation. The idiot behind the counter told her that insurance was the same as delivery confirmation, so she just bought insurance and didn't get the d/c. Needless to say, we now don't know where the package is and it's been 3 weeks+ with no confirmation of receipt from the company and no refund. I told my wife that next time she needs to do what I tell her and ignore the talking meat behind the counter.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love the USPS.......don't we all have stories?

I have a few........Door slot for mail so uninsured, or now packages insured under $200 are routinely left on the porch.
    The regular carrier will hide the package behind the porch wall, but these stand-ins will leave it in front of the door!

I'm sure a few grew legs as the last one to diappear had delivery conf. on it, & of course it shows online that it was delivered.
    The package was from a fellow member who did not insure, but how can you make im make good on it?
    Next time I'll ask him to insure, even if I have to pay (even if techically it's the senders responcibility).
    Keeps everyone happy & is worth the few bucks.
  • Options

<< <i>Fed Ex baby!image
    Who do you think Heritage uses and whom do you think the top dealers use! >>

Unless you have 3rd party insurance Fed-Ex doesn't insure coins! I have a few Fed-Ex stories as well, and it was from Heritage!!!!

• Options

<< <i>Fed Ex baby!image
    Who do you think Heritage uses and whom do you think the top dealers use! >>

Heritage uses FEDEX only for expensive stuff; otherwise they use the USPS.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> It is scary how incompetent some people are at their job. >>

My wife was just at the PO early last month mailing a purse she was returning. She almost never ships anything, so I told her to do it 1st class with insurance and delivery confirmation. The idiot behind the counter told her that insurance was the same as delivery confirmation, so she just bought insurance and didn't get the d/c. Needless to say, we now don't know where the package is and it's been 3 weeks+ with no confirmation of receipt from the company and no refund. I told my wife that next time she needs to do what I tell her and ignore the talking meat behind the counter. >>

Fear not; all is NOT lost. Iffn ya saved yer reseet the PO can track it frum the insurance number but ya gotta go down to the PO to Git R Done. Iffn ya tost er out then you truly are SOL.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file