Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

O.K. I purchased a vacuum sealer...

How is it that you store slabs after being sealed.
TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image

Comments

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    IN the right back corner of your freezer.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Hmmm...I’d think you’d want the vacuum out where you could use it to clean the floors or carpet instead of sealing it in something….good thing you didn’t put the cat in there too...it's safer in the freezer with your coins.
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    The cat is way too fat.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how I do it. I seal the slabs in the PCGS box. It does make it hard to view the coins, but that is why I took pictures of all of them. I also put a label on the back of the box so I can see the contents of the box in case I need to open one.

• Options
    That is embarrassingly organized....Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>That is embarrassingly organized....Nice! >>

You should see how I keep my wife! image
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Thank's Jesse, I was thinking individual coins
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    geeze you make "Monk" look like pigpen
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is how I do it. I seal the slabs in the PCGS box. It does make it hard to view the coins, but that is why I took pictures of all of them. I also put a label on the back of the box so I can see the contents of the box in case I need to open one.

image >>

Wish I were organized like that! I have a sealer, going to give it a try.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a little OCD. We live in a hot and humid area and this method seems to keep out the nasties.

I tried to lay the slabs out so that I had a HUGE sheet of coins, kind of like how the US Mint seals their American Buffalo Gold bullion coins. Well, that was really hard to get to work and made for an unmanageable coin sheet. So, I got frustrated and my wife was asking why i was wasting so much of the vacuum bags (they are expensive) on my coins. She didn't understand why I needed to protect slabbed coins that I paid to have protected in the slab...

If anyone is interested, I can send you the Excel template I have that fits exactly under a PCGS storage box! For the rest of us obsessive compulsive types out there.
  • Options
    I store them just like jesse does works great. works on food to you know.
  • Options
    Great! Now I gotta' go try that! Need to test it first. OK...where's the cat? Here kitty, kitty, kitty.....come here you stupid, scratching, vermin, we have to test the vacuum....
  • Options
    My only suggesting is if you are going to seal them with the top off like I did, make sure you don't have any sharp pokers on the top of our slab or around the edges of the storage box. I found out the hard way that some of the PCGS slabs have remnants of the ejection molder they come from on the top of the coins sometimes that will poke a hole through the bag.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used a vacuum sealer on a pile of junk silver I sold once. That way, the buyer could not claim I shorted him anything! image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing but good things to say, about my Chinese Black n Decker vacuum sealer.

Seal all my ASEs, so far so good. Just remember to seal when the dew point is low.

I guess I take it to the extreme, never vacuum sealing coins when it's really humid out.

I don't want to lock moisture in. All the 20th Anniv. sets, are spot free, and will never be housed in a slab.

On top of that, I dipped them all in Acetone, and rinsed with distilled water. I'm hoping these measure will preserve the Eagles for decades.

Scott

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

<< <i>Nothing but good things to say, about my Chinese Black n Decker vacuum sealer.

Seal all my ASEs, so far so good. Just remember to seal when the dew point is low.

I guess I take it to the extreme, never vacuum sealing coins when it's really humid out.

I don't want to lock moisture in. All the 20th Anniv. sets, are spot free, and will never be housed in a slab.

On top of that, I dipped them all in Acetone, and rinsed with distilled water. I'm hoping these measure will preserve the Eagles for decades.

Scott

image >>

That is nice, but how in the world do you expect battle creek toning on these after going through all of that? image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<That is nice, but how in the world do you expect battle creek toning on these after going through all of that? >>

I'm going for the white, spot free look, didn't want to risk leaving them in the OGP. Say no to "milk".

Beside, I don't have much luck with toning, unless you consider a milked coin attractive.

Scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing but good things to say, about my Chinese Black n Decker vacuum sealer. Seal all my ASEs, so far so good. Just remember to seal when the dew point is low. I guess I take it to the extreme, never vacuum sealing coins when it's really humid out. I don't want to lock moisture in. All the 20th Anniv. sets, are spot free, and will never be housed in a slab. On top of that, I dipped them all in Acetone, and rinsed with distilled water. I'm hoping these measure will preserve the Eagles for decades. Scott image >>

Why don't you put in a humidity absorber in with the coins before you vacuum seal? You can also flush the bag with dry nitrogen before sealing.

You should all know that oxygen and moisture can permeate through the plastic bag over time. I don't know the water vapor transmission rate or oxygen transmission rate for the different bags and I'm sure it is relatively low, but still, over time, the oxygen and moisture will build up in the bag.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Anyone try using the FoodSaver to seal PCGS slabs laid out side by side, just enough to fit the safety deposit box in layers?

For the large boxes, it would be about four wide, to fit the 11 inch rolls. It would probably take six slabs top to bottom. I would estimate about 24 of these sheets would fit into the large deposit boxes. 24 times 24 would be 576 PCGS holdered coins, the equivalent of 29 PCGS plastic boxes, certainly more plastic boxes than can fit into the deposit box.

If the deposit box will not support four wide, three placed across might work better. I think with the air sucked out, the sheets would hold the slabs in place nicely for easy handling.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    I'm so glad I read this........us OCD'ers like to know we are not alone even though we prefer to be alone.......image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I really wish I would have done this. Would have saved me a lot of trouble. image
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sealing great for anything stored in a humid area.

All my rifles are sealed for freshness. I make the bag about 8 inches to long so you can reseal a number
    of times.

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing but good things to say, about my Chinese Black n Decker vacuum sealer.

Scott

I would think that it doesn't matter how hot & humid it is when sealing. When the air is pulled out, anything in the air, including moisture, is also sucked out.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I use intercept shields, and from what I have seen, they give sufficent protection.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    when I first saw the header I opened this thread out of curiosity and chuckled.. after a couple posts I checked the date to make sure it wasn't originally dated april 1st..... now I'm getting just plain scared.... you're taking "Coin Weenie" to a whole new levelimage
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IN the right back corner of your freezer. >>

Will ASEs get ice cream spots, then?
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Here's another idea.
    Get a big pot and some mason canning jars. Fill the pot most of the way with water and get it to a rolling boil.
    Then put your coins in the fruit jars and just lightly tighten the caps, then lower into the water.
    Wait 10 minutes and remove from the pot and tighten the caps good.
    Watch for the dome on the lids to snap down as the jars cool, so you know you got a good seal.
    Then put your coins away for a hundred years or so.

Ray

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file