Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Camera Review for Coin Photography - First Draft of first review up of Canon A70

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
Edited: first draft of the first review is up for your reviewing pleasure

Edited:
Added 8" distance section. After the obvious was pointed out to me the camera does indeed tell you when it thinks it is in focus. After checking a few times each time the camera was 8" for the closest I could get to the coin with the optical zoom maxed out.

Link to the Canon A70 Review

Original note:

This weekend I plan on posting the first of several point and shoot camera reviews specifically geared for taking coin photos. Mainly older cameras that can be obtained cheaply on ebaY.

If you have any suggestions or things you want me to try out and add to the review now is your chance to chime in.

I plan on selecting an MS Buffalo Nickel, MS ASE, and one of my Classic Head Half Eagles. The goal will be to find the minimum and maximum useable distances and I will use standard lighting for all cameras.

In the review I will include any settings and photo's of the lighting setup used to achieve those photos.

If anyone wants to have other cameras reviewed I'd be happy to do it if you send it to me for a week or so.

If you think this is just a waste of time I won't be offended. It's fun either way. image

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Why the popcorn? Seems like so many people want a cheap way of photographing their coins. At least this way they can have a reference for setup and an known option to buy on ebaY.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see a toned coin and a dcam proof added image
  • Options
    Do you have access to a Kodak DX7630?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Good idea. I would be interested in the maximum working distance for various cameras at a standard magnification - such as a morgan at full screen.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>Do you have access to a Kodak DX7630? >>

Currently I only have access to these two point and shoots:

Canon A70
    Panasonic DMC-TZ3

Any other cameras will have to be sent in.
  • Options

<< <i>I would like to see a toned coin and a dcam proof added image >>

I have a toned gold eagle, will a modern generic proof work? I don't want to do more than 4 or 5 coins.
  • Options

<< <i>Good idea. I would be interested in the maximum working distance for various cameras at a standard magnification - such as a morgan at full screen. >>

I don't have any Morgans but will use the ASE for this purpose. I will end up taking a ruler from the slab to the camera lens for this.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    use as much zoom as it will allow. I think that this distance will vary a lot between cameras.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>use as much zoom as it will allow. I think that this distance will vary a lot between cameras. >>

I'm assuming optical and not digital zoom?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would like to see a toned coin and a dcam proof added image >>

I have a toned gold eagle, will a modern generic proof work? I don't want to do more than 4 or 5 coins. >>

Yes I think any dcam coin quarter size or larger would be good.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should photograph one each of copper, silver, and gold.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>I think you should photograph one each of copper, silver, and gold. >>

This is starting to prove difficult. I have no copper older than the 70's and no silver older than 1992 except for some old beat up Morgan Dollars. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think you should photograph one each of copper, silver, and gold. >>

This is starting to prove difficult. I have no copper older than the 70's and no silver older than 1992 except for some old beat up Morgan Dollars. image >>

For the most part, copper is copper and silver is silver. Your coins will work just fine.
  • Options
    p.s. I can also understand how you'd want to keep it simple, so perhaps simply a mint state (i.e. dynamic range) and circulated specimen (i.e. contrast) would also show the differences between camreas and lighten the workload. image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a interesting project for the Coin Photography Forum.image
  • Options
    OK,

My first stab at a review is up. It still needs suggestions and tweaking, once the first review flow is finalized future reviews should go quicker.

Thanks for all the suggestions and please review my review. image

I still have to add a few pics of the camera and setup but you get the idea.
    Canon A70 review
  • Options
    seatedcoinsseatedcoins Posts: 1,096
    That's a cool idea. I would like you to review a minolta like I had as a kid it had a flashcube on top. Second, I'd like to see a review for a 1985, no 1983 polaroid. Thanks.

Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options

<< <i>That's a cool idea. I would like you to review a minolta like I had as a kid it had a flashcube on top. Second, I'd like to see a review for a 1985, no 1983 polaroid. Thanks.

image >>

Keep it digital and if you suggest it you have to supply the camera. image

Heck it would be fun to try polaroid but you would have to supply the camera and all of the test film. image
  • Options
    I didnt see any conclusion or final thoughts on overall how you thought the camera did. Scale of 1-10,1-5 stars.
  • Options
    Read your review of the Canon A70 and found it most useful. I especially liked the step by step instructions for dealing with the menus and funtions on the camera.

I have a A80 but using your instructions I greatly improved my photos.

Keep up the work. You are providing a great resource. Many may just read it and not say thanks, but I really appreciate what you have done.

brillo
  • Options

<< <i>I didnt see any conclusion or final thoughts on overall how you thought the camera did. Scale of 1-10,1-5 stars. >>

Good point, I'll make sure and add that. image
  • Options
    If I can add my two cents for a rating, I would rate my A80 at 5-6. It is very hard to get great focus using the LCD. I would expect you would rate the A70 about the same.

brillo
  • Options

<< <i>If I can add my two cents for a rating, I would rate my A80 at 5-6. It is very hard to get great focus using the LCD. I would expect you would rate the A70 about the same.

brillo >>

I am thinking about listing positives and negatives at the end and then rate it accordingly. In this case there was one more positive than negative so give it a 6. image

Rating 6 out of 10
    Positives:
    -Final images are quite clear when the right setup is figured out
    -White balance appears to be fairly accurate
    -Manual functions are easy to access on the rear of the camera

Negatives:
    -eye piece does not match the lens focus area
    -LCD is horrible at trying to preview what your image will look like
  • Options
    Added 8" distance section. After the obvious was pointed out to me the camera does indeed tell you when it thinks it is in focus. After checking a few times each time the camera was 8" for the closest I could get to the coin with the optical zoom maxed out.

• Options
    seatedcoinsseatedcoins Posts: 1,096

<< <i>

<< <i>That's a cool idea. I would like you to review a minolta like I had as a kid it had a flashcube on top. Second, I'd like to see a review for a 1985, no 1983 polaroid. Thanks.

image >>

Keep it digital and if you suggest it you have to supply the camera. image

Heck it would be fun to try polaroid but you would have to supply the camera and all of the test film. image >>

Well I was trying to be funny. My jokes aren't ever obvious though.
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

Why the popcorn? Seems like so many people want a cheap way of photographing their coins. At least this way they can have a reference for setup and an known option to buy on ebaY. >>

I'm just sitting in and munching while learning. There's nothing nefarious about the popcorn!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file