Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about 1956 Topps FB....

Have started working on this set, and noticed that some of the cards appear to have glossy fronts while others do not....can anybody shed any light on this?

Comments

• Options
    Anybody?
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    don't have much to add as I am not working on that set right now, but yes, some have a high gloss surface while others have a satiny finish to them
  • Options
    Have any idea why?
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to guess that it was just poor quality control? I have seen some Vintage Football notably the 1957 Topps Football that looks like it has a lighter finish on the front, other than quality control I couldnt begin to think of any other reason.
  • Options
    ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Cards that were originally distributed in wax packs have bright colors and a lot of gloss. Cards distributed in vending boxes have more pastel colors and a "flat" finish.
  • Options
    The reason I ask is that it doesn't seem to be random (as would be the case if it was poor quality control). It only seems to occur with certain players, but affects every single card of that player. One example would be Ernie Stautner....every example I've ever seen of his card has been non-glossy.

A rough guess is that probably a quarter off the cards in the set (120 cards total) are non-glossy only.

My current hypothesis is that it might be something which affects all cards on a specific sheet. With a 120 card set, sheets could be 15 cards, 20 cards, 30 cards, 40 cards, or 60 cards. It could even be that the entire set was printed on one sheet (which would blow my hypothesis out of the water). Does anybody know how this set was printed?
  • Options
    ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    There were different production methods based on how the cards were distributed -- wax packs versus vending. I do not know why though.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Ironranger is correct, the diff. gloss appearance are from wax/cello pack cards or ones from vending boxes. (there was a large vending find a few years back). I would think it has more to do with the different stock Topps used for each production run of the distribution more than anything.

Some stock is flat looking, some stock had a better glossy look to them.

Where's Cy Berger when you need him?