Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps Vending Case

This auction just caught my eye. In the item description, the seller mentions that he has "know way of knowing" what cards are in the case. He also points out that this case is labeled "A".

First of all, besides being a bad speller, this guy has to know exactly what cards are in the box. And I'm assuming by the low bids that most collectors also know.

Someone give me the lowdown.

link

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I remember right the A on the box means that those 8500 cards will be only from sheet A (which is most likely 132 cards), so you will get an average of about 60 of each card +/- that were printed on sheet A. Sheet A could be 1 to 132, or not.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    So there truly is no way of knowing which 132 card sheet the box contains?? The case is open afterall.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    You will get all cards and ONLY cards printed on sheet A
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    This is not a VENDING case where the cards come in vending boxes of 500, this is a cut card case where all the cards will just be laying in rows raw so to speak on top of each other. I opened a few from different years and rarely got "gem" cards. And yes, you will only get cards from group A or sheet A where you get 60 of each or whatever it breaks down to.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭
    If you have an 81 set, you can see which cards are on sheet A by looking at the back of each card. Near the Topps copyright you will find a letter A thru F followed by an *. This is the sheet that the card appears on. There will be 132 cards on each sheet in 81.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you have an 81 set, you can see which cards are on sheet A by looking at the back of each card. Near the Topps copyright you will find a letter A thru F followed by an *. This is the sheet that the card appears on. There will be 132 cards on each sheet in 81. >>

Ok, good to know. And Im assuming they won't be #s 1-132?
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you have an 81 set, you can see which cards are on sheet A by looking at the back of each card. Near the Topps copyright you will find a letter A thru F followed by an *. This is the sheet that the card appears on. There will be 132 cards on each sheet in 81. >>

Ok, good to know. And I'm assuming they won't be #s 1-132? >>

Likely not. Also, some cards, in fact several cards, will be on multiple sheets....or at least later Topps cards were that way. (132 x 6 = 792...so not sure why they did that).

And you also have sheets labeled like "A* B*" or variants.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The thing I love is that he's selling "unopened" and "unsearched" cello boxes and also is selling cellos from of these same years with stars and rookies showing.

Something to make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmm . . . "
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I have dealt with this guy in the past with graded stuff but never in wax. Everything has always been very smooth.

I will say about a year ago he had a TON of GAI cello packs with stars showing... He must have had 10 marino's,elways, murray,henderson,ripkens etc.. I always thought that someone opened and resealed them, how do you get 10 84 marino rookies on top of a cello but then i remember back in 1998 i bought 100 1984 topps baseball racks with don mattingly on the front.. I guess its possible.