Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

soaking old cards

Ok, I know some here think that cleaning an old card of the dirt and grime is altering, but I have an old card that is filthy, I want to clean it so the colours come back
there was a post on how to do this (soaking?)a while back, can't find it
can someone direct me to the process please
This is a card I plan on keeping in my PC, no intentions ever of selling it.
Thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Whatever Gary image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    nevermind, found it
    Text
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    It can't be Gary, he wasn't asking about "Cork Soaking".imageimage

By the way, the water trick works. I found out unintentionally. I had an A&G mini in my back pocket and forget about it. My wife hands me the card (it was in a mini toploader) and says "you really should empty your pockets before I do the wash". Put it between some paper towels and in a book and squeezed it over and over again. Looks fine in the end. Of course, it wasn't dirty to begin with, but at least it's in its original condition.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Depends on what kind of card it is.

With a dirty card Id recommend not to soak it but just LIGHTLY rub it with a damp tissue or very soft damp sponge.

Soaking is more for removing paste/glue residue on back.

Be careful on some types, especially multi layered cards, as they will sometimes come apart if soaked too long. Also never soak a real photo card (ie. T200, T222, AZO postcards, N172, etc.).

Ive soaked hundreds of cards, but almost all of them were to remove them from 19th Century Victorian Scrapbooks. Some come right off (paste was flour and water), and some are a little work removing all the residue and paper on back. The worst thing to do is pull them off the scrapbook page dry, it will always damage the back.
  • Options
    this card arrived in the mail today
    I have already showed it on a previous post
    I love it, so it is for my PC
    thing is, I probably won't I am terrified of destroying it worse than it already is
    just wish I could clean it up a bit
    any helpful suggestions appreciated, as you can see, it is pretty dirty
    looks like it may even be a little oil stained
    imageimage