Home Sports Talk
Options

Is "The Kid" done?

We all know that Griffey has had his fair share of injuries. And, I am not the type of person who uses the term "what if" or "could of" vewry often. Simple truth is that in life itself, there is alway's a chance of a setback. As a matter of fact....it would be more reasonable to say that setbacks are simply going to happen. It just depends on how severe. Baseball is no exception. I can honestly say "what if" Ted Williams had not spent 4 years in the service? In his prime.......! Add another 150 homers, maybe 450-500 RBI's, who knows about batting titles and avg.

If Griffey had not had injury after injury.....who knows.......700 homers? More.....? How many more RBI's? His numbers are awesome right now. H.O.F. for sure. No steriod issues........600 homers is a given.

This year is ugly and uglier. Is he done? I think many can live with him around .275 to .285 with 30 jacks and 80+ RBI's. He's hitting around .235, 9 homers, 34 RBI's. Getting at the end of his rope I think. The Kid is about to retire........hope so anyway.
Man I miss the 80's!!!

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    No joke, I truly thought you were referring to Sidney Crosby. But as to Griffey, I see him coming back ... more so if he gets traded this season.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    trade him to a contendor and just let the "kid" hit.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if Griffey finds his "happy place" he can make a meaningful contribution to some team this year
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should play in the AL and be a DH, that would most definately extend his career further.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Jr. get back up to decent #'s, but it does look like he should consider switching to the AL and become a DH. I would think playing in the field has been tough on his body the last several years. I'd really love to see him retire a Reds, but I'd rather see him extend his career with solid seasons and play in the playoffs. Maybe he could end up in Pinstripes and make a run a championship, but that could be unlikely as he holds a grudge against the Yanks. Maybe he could help a team like the Rays, that would be cool. I think he has one year left on his contract and I would think he has a non-trade clause, but I think he would be open to a trade to an AL contender. As the Reds and Jr continue to struggle, a trade could be very possible.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i think he needs a change of scenery, maybe the AL. he needs to be re-charged an di think a change will do it. i would love to see him on the rays or the red sox or another contender and get a shot at a ring. just not the yankees
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    We don't need him on the Rays. Eric Hinske, Jonny Gomes and Cliff Floyd are platooning at DH just fine. I love Griffey , he's always been my favorite player not on Tampa or Atlanta, but we aren't looking for a publicity stunt anymore and it doesn't make sense for the team to add him financially.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Griffey fan, but I don't think a change in scenery is going to do anything. He needed that change 3 years ago when there was something left. His numbers are so bad that the end could already be here. JMO.
    Mickey71image
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Maybe he needs a change of protection in the lineup? I don't want to be too harsh in my criticism because I like these guys, but I think the 3 guys hitting behind Griffey all strike out too often to make opposing pitchers think they have to give Griffey pitches to hit. Phillips, Encarncacion, and Dunn have all combined to strike out in 20% of their at bats. Of course, Griffey hasn't fared much better himself as he is striking out an an 18% clip.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    He's definately in the twilight of his career, but after tonight, I'd say he has a little left.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    He could probably play 4-5 more years if he'd get rid of that beer league gut he's suddenly developed.

He'll play til he gets 3000 hits.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> He could probably play 4-5 more years if he'd get rid of that beer league gut he's suddenly developed. >>