Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Will this get a .5 bump?

I just picked this Ozzie up and I'm hoping it'll get bumped to an 8.5. What do you guys think?

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a little tilted or MC.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • the 8 grade looks accurate ,.. a little chipping on top and left borders, and corners a little soft. Nice 8, but not sure on the bump?
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    The majority of the nice 79 Ozzie's I've seen (both Topps & OPC) have a slight tilt on the bottom. I don't think they're going to take off for that. It's the top left corner that I'm worried about. In the scan it appears a little soft. There's also a print dot on "P" of Padres.
    Jeff
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems to be a little tilted or MC. >>

I agree. There is a tilt and the upper rigth corner looks to be dinged.

I don't think it would get a bump
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Maybe. While you're at it in the 70's, get a Walter Payton RC, the best running back this side of Jim Brown.

RB
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I think it could actually 9 if you crack and resubmit. Sometimes PSA will look at that top left corner and consider it part of the rough cut. The tilt is not enough to affect the grade in any way.
    Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm really excited to get an Ozzie rookie centered this well at all. I'll wait until I see it first hand before deciding for sure whether to crack it out or not.
    Jeff
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Definately worth the shot, what does a nine go for?
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Why crack and resubmit? If it is 9 worthy they will grade it as such.

By resubmitting you have no chance of it downgrading.

JMO

Steve
    Good for you.
  • mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Very nice card. Better centered than any I have pulled.
    I sent 4 in recently and all received 9OC.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    tilt will not affect the grade , top left corner may. crack it out , worst case is it comes back an 8 again imo. if you send for review , you are probably wasting a few bucks
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I don't think there is any chance you would get a grade lower than an 8 if you cracked out and re-subbed. Personally I think you would have a better chance at a bump with the crack out (I have no data to back up this crack out idea, it's just my opinion).
    What happens if he cracks and it comes back a 7, or God forbid a 6? That has happened ya know.

Why in the world would anyone crack when they can send the card in for review with no
    chance of it down grading? If one cracks and it comes back the same grade didn't they 'waste' the same amount of money?

Am i missing something here? Guys have sent cards in for a .5 bump and have received full bumps.

Steve
    Good for you.
    WinPitcher - thank you for bringing this up. I've never actually submitted anything for review - so this process is new to me. That does sound like the best option. I wish I could submit it with the PSA 9 I have graded - because the centering on the card I just won is even better than that.

As for what 9's go for - I'm pretty sure they fetch between $250-$300 on the Bay. I paid SMR for this one ($70). As I stated before - I really wanted this one, because I've seen so few with great centering.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback - it's always appreciated.
    Jeff
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>What happens if he cracks and it comes back a 7, or God forbid a 6? That has happened ya know.

Why in the world would anyone crack when they can send the card in for review with no
    chance of it down grading? If one cracks and it comes back the same grade didn't they 'waste' the same amount of money?

Am i missing something here? Guys have sent cards in for a .5 bump and have received full bumps.

Steve >>

Unless the card gets damaged being taken out of the holder or being transported to PSA, in my opinion there would be a very small chance of this card coming back graded lower than 8.

But the scan is a little fuzzy so it is tough to rate the cards corners.
    We have all seen cards that can grade between 6 and 8 on any given day.

Why take any chance regardless how small?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Unless the card gets damaged being taken out of the holder or being transported to PSA, in my opinion there would be a very small chance of this card coming back graded lower than 8. >>

If you choose to CRACK and resub--

Chance the card will grade higher: 20%
    Chance the card will grade the same: 60%
    Chance the card will grade lower: 20%

If you do choose to send in via REVIEW--

Chance the card will grade higher: 20%
    Chance the card will grade the same: 80%
    Chance the card will grade lower: 0%

Pretty simple really...Anyone that has played the crack and resub and/or the review game before understands this..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.