Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

Ebay: Early NGC slab, white label, gold hotstamped insert, V2.1

A pre-hologram NGC slab with the hot-stamped gold logo on the white plastic insert itself UNDER the clear plastic, rather than ON the clear plastic. The label is plain white. Version 2.1 from Michael Schmidt's website. The coin is a 1941-D Mercury Dime MS64 FB

Link
Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

Comments

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank: Sent the payment to you after you closed out the ebay auction without any bidders.

I am flabbergasted that no one here or at NGC even made an offer to you on this one.

These all white NGC slabs are starting to get quite rare indeed.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice slab...

I didn't make an offer because I missed the listing! Glad you picked it up, Orville. Those with the hot stamp inside are getting tougher to find.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found out the story behind NGC moving the gold hot stamped logo from the inside to the outside slab.

For years it had been speculated that this was done for security reasons. It seemed so logical.

Now the facts:

I asked to founder of NGC, John A., why NGC moved the logo from the inside to the outside of the plastic holder. I showed hime examples of both types of holders.

He replied that in 1987, after NGC went from the black to the all white holder, the plastic molding machine company who made the slabs for NGC complained that they were having great difficulty stamping the NGC logo onto the white core. Rejected white cores far outnumbered the acceptables ones. An emergency call to JA was made by the plastic molding company as to the serious problem. The company suggested moving the logo to the outside. John thought about it and said "why not?"

He admitted that in the early days, things were being done by the "seat of their pants" and they were still learing.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!